Alvar Thorne & Associates, Part 1 - orsal judging

Deus Ex Machina

First Post
"So, we're on our own time? Let's us have a drink then, Allistra, to celebrate our successful journey and our arrival here."

Valdaris makes his way into the tavern.

Boddynock

First Post
Allistra heads over to the bar and speaks with the man standing behind it. He listens, nodding, then says a few words. He disappears through a doorway, only to return a moment or two later, followed by a halfling who wipes his sweating face with the long off-white apron he’s wearing. Advancing, he disappears momentarily behind the bar, then reappears as he mounts what must be a set of steps and leans forward to listen attentively to Allistra.

His face is a picture. At first clearly irritated by the interruption, he visibly schools himself to patience when he sees who it is, then listens with growing satisfaction to her words. At a certain point, however, his face lights up, and the party members hear him say, loudly, “Really? And fresh, you say? How fresh?”

Allistra responds, and he replies, “Eight hours? Hmm, we’ll have to get it into cold storage as soon as we can. I don’t suppose you thought to cast Prestidigitation to keep it cool? Ah well, can’t have everything.”

Hopping up onto the bar, he swings his legs over the front and jumps down. Striding through the room he calls out, “Janusz, over here!” Before he reaches the door, he’s joined by a seven-foot tall half-orc who’s been sitting to one side of the room, chair tipped back and leaning against the wall. They exit together.

Allistra, leaning on the bar, turns and winks at the party. A few minutes later the halfling reappears. He’s holding a thick steak in either hand which he waves to the room at large.

“Good news, friends! As of this moment, bear steak is on the menu - and tomorrow, I promise you Ursine Pie!”

There’s a general chuckle around the room, and one or two cheers greet the announcement.

Without delay, the chef ducks under the counter and enters the kitchen, shouting out as he does, “Evangeline, get the frypan on the fire - the big one. And break out the cardamom and the black pepper. What? No - of course I don’t want the rock salt. With fresh bear? Are you mad?”

Moments later he’s at the bar again, this time wiping bloody hands on the apron. He and Allistra exchange a few short sentences, then he shakes her by the hand and puts onto the bartop a pile of pale coins. She nods her thanks and sweeps the coins into her purse.

As she comes over to the party, Allistra is shaking her head and smiling. ”Oh, that Urs! He’s such a character!”

If anyone asks, she explains. ”That’s the innkeeper - Balthasar Urs. He’s the finest chef in Allimon - and eccentric to boot. If he likes you, he’ll lavish on you the best food this side of Silverwood - but if he decides you’ve insulted him, you’ll have bellyaches for a week.”

”Now, here’s the 200 gold we agreed for the bear meat.”

She opens her purse and pours out a handful of platinum. Counting out twenty coins, she puts them on the table in front of the party, sweeping the last few into her purse once more.

Trouvere

Explorer
Taelythenihel claims her share. "This comes at a most convenient time. I believe my bodyguard needs a suit of armour if she is to protect me adequately, and a better weapon. Do we pay for our own rooms, Allistra Thorne?"

Boddynock

First Post
"No, your room and board is included in your keep. You and Ossa will share one room, and Ruud, Ciprinus and Valdaris another."

She pauses and grins briefly before adding, "Jendral and Milak will also share. I guess I owe Jendral a drink for that!"

In response to Valdaris’ invitation, she says, “All right, Bear - first one’s on me.”

Leading the way to the bar, she stands the first round. “So, that’s a glass of wine for Ruud - I can recommend the red - and I’ll have a cold lager. What about the rest of you?”

As the party relaxes and looks around, they take in the setting. The common room has a high ceiling and, even in this balmy weather, a fire burning in the huge fireplace. There are tables and chairs, as well as cubicles around the walls. The bar, made of cedar, dominates the room. There are some stools at the bar, as well as standing room, and a rail at foot level for those who wish to perch there over time. The bar dips in level periodically, and as well as the taller patrons, there are a number of halflings and gnomes leaning comfortably against it, their glasses sitting on its polished top.

The bar extends around an L-shape into a portion of the room which has doorways through to a number of private rooms. There’s a staircase off to the left of the main entrance, leading up to the bedrooms on the floors above, and another, spiral staircase leading up to an open space on the top level, which evidently connects with the aerial bridge which the party saw on the way in.

There are thirty or forty patrons sitting, drinking, and eating. A handful of couples are in cubicles, and the doors to several of the private rooms are closed. A variety of delicious aromas wafts from the kitchen - most recently a bracing whiff of searing, spicy meat.

Quite a few of those present are engaged in a variety of games of chance, of which dice games predominate.

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
"I prefer a fine and delicate dwarven ale." Ciprinus says with a smile, patting his viper friend in the head, as he climbs on the table. His armor is hanging from the chair, and his shield and sheathed scimitar are on one side of it. The half-elf stretches his arms, and accommodates himself on the chair, sighing.

Trouvere

Explorer
Boddynock said:
"No, your room and board is included in your keep. You and Ossa will share one room, and Ruud, Ciprinus and Valdaris another."
"That is well. The common room is over crowded for my liking. If you would request my room be prepared immediately? I will perhaps return here later," says Taelythenihel, anxious to take Ossa to a less open position.

Boddynock

First Post
Trouvere said:
"That is well. The common room is over crowded for my liking. If you would request my room be prepared immediately? I will perhaps return here later," says Taelythenihel, anxious to take Ossa to a less open position.
Allistra frowns, irritated by the elf's unthinking arrogance. She replies curtly, "Just tell the bartender. He'll direct you to your room."

The bartender, when Taelythenihel asks, says, "Thorne's caravan? Your room's one of the doubles? Yep, upstairs, fourth floor. Third room on the right as you turn left from the stairwell. Number 73. Key's on the mantelpiece."

Trouvere

Explorer
Boddynock said:
Allistra frowns, irritated by the elf's unthinking arrogance.
OOC: ;) Gray elves, got to love them.
The bartender, when Taelythenihel asks, says, "Thorne's caravan? Your room's one of the doubles? Yep, upstairs, fourth floor. Third room on the right as you turn left from the stairwell. Number 73. Key's on the mantelpiece."
"Your precise instructions are appreciated," says Taelythenihel. She takes the key, and she and Ossa head upstairs. Quickly she returns alone and sits next to Ruud. She requests a glass of the recommended red wine.[sblock=DM]Taelythenihel orders Ossa to lie beneath the bed. She locks the door behind her.[/sblock]

Drerek

First Post
Ruud is happy to sit next to Taelythenihel and somewhat relieved Ossa is not there. He shares a glass of the red wine with the elf.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases