Alvar Thorne & Associates, Part 1 - orsal judging

Trouvere

Explorer
"I will not trust myself to such an animal unless there is no other choice. For one thing, it is too difficult to cast spells from horseback," says Taelythenihel. "Ossa does not ride. But she is a tireless walker. She can keep up on foot."

Deus Ex Machina

First Post
Valdaris considers the option of a mount for a moment, but eventually declines. His own experience fighting for the other side had taught him that those mounted were always the first ones targeted. And besides, he could probably snatch some sleep in the back of one of the carts on the way. Something much harder to achieve on the back of a horse.

“I’ll be content to ride in the caravan, Allistra... though I’d like to know what resources we’ll have in our care. How many caravans? How many men? And which of them can bear arms? As you have already seen, my comrade here came without a weapon, so if you have an additional bow or crossbow we could make use of, that would no doubt aid us on this journey.”

Trouvere

Explorer
"I came with staff, dagger, shield and arcane power," says Taelythenihel. "Valdaris, if you wish to retain your longbow, say so. But you cannot fight with both it and sword at the same time, so when you draw your blade, please leave the bow with me. Likewise, Ciprinus cannot fight with both spear and scimitar at once. I believe we have improved our fighting prowess with the redistribution of belongings. Another bow would be of use, however, Allistra Thorne."

Boddynock

First Post
Now that the horses have settled and Milak has successfully hitched up the second team, Allistra replies to Valdaris' questions.

"The caravan's a small one - just the two wagons. Jendral & Milak'll be driving. Ciprinus, I think it's best if you hitch your donkey to the back of the rear wagon and travel on horseback. The rest of you will ride in the wagons. I'll be coming along to handle negotiations. The cargo is trade goods - fine cloth and exotic foodstuffs. We'll be following the Western Road to Ravensdale, making a short stop in Allimon en route."

One of the hands drops a crate and her gaze flicks to the disturbance, then comes back to the fighter when she sees Jendral head over to deal with it.

"The road's well-travelled, so I'm not expecting any trouble. Still, there's no reason not to be prepared. A couple of stretches are fairly heavily wooded, and there've been rumours of some bandit activity further down the Sound, so it's better to be safe than sorry."

Here she nods to the assembled group. "Still, I don't think we'll have any trouble."

"Now, another bow? Wait here."

With that Allistra moves towards the rear of the warehouse and disappears through a doorway set in the side wall. After the party have kicked their heels for about ten minutes - during which time Jendral has brought out and saddled a fine grey gelding, and one of the other hands has produced a dun-coloured hack which she proceeds to saddle and hand over to Ciprinus - Allistra comes out again. She's now clad in good quality leather armour, with a rapier at her side. She's carrying a pair of crossbows - one which is battered but serviceable, the other a gleaming testament to the weaponsmith's art - and a couple of quivers. She tosses the first to Alvaris, along with a quiver, and hangs the second from her saddlebags. She clips the quiver to her belt, then turns to survey the wagons.

At some unspoken question Jendral grins and nods before turning to climb into the driver's seat of the first wagon. Milak, who's already seated with reins in hand, grumbles, "Gie oan wi' it!" then lapses into sore-headed silence again.

Turning back to the guards, she says, "Climb aboard," then swings herself gracefully into the saddle.

Last edited:

Trouvere

Explorer
Taelythenihel whispers softly to Ossa, then climbs onto the same wagon as Ruud. Ossa follows her, and sits silently in a corner.

Deus Ex Machina

First Post
Valdaris nods as he takes the crossbow from Allistra.

“Then we shall ensure your goods make it to Ravensdale safely, Allistra.” He grins as he pats his bastard sword, before walking over to Taelythenihel, who is sitting in the back of the wagon.

“You’re right, Taelythenihel. I hope there is no occasion to use our weapons. Though there is no need to redistribute them either. I expect you may find better use of this. And I will still have a backup.” Valdaris takes back his longbow and places the crossbow next to her, then climbs into the wagon.

[sblock=Trouvere]Well, whatdayaknow, I scored an extra crossbow! :D

Valdaris will keep the longbow. He's a bit funny about his things and bought it as a backup anyway.

The added bonus is that you'll avoid the -2 damage penalty by using the crossbow.[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases