The big announcement: 4dventure

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
27546296d66578f8.jpg

(I forgot I had that one!)

EricNoah

Adventurer
The sadness for me is in the possibility that Paizo will go all-4E next year ... I'll only get a year's worth of their Pathfinder goodness.

Thurbane said:
IMHO, the 3.5 system is prefectly workable as it is, and any future edition upgrades can only be for the purposes of grabbing some dollars.

I disagree. I think even a workable system can benefit from an occasional revamp and clean-up. There's a lot of baggage to 3E now, and while the core D20 system is rock-solid, I think there are a lot of rules that can stand to be streamlined or redesigned.

As far as the news itself...

I'm stunned. I really thought it was going to be something else, and that 4E was further off. And I was really hoping to be a WotC employee by the time this happened, so I could have more of a direct hand in shaping it.

That said, I'm excited to see what's to come, and to be part of it to the fullest extent I can be as a freelancer.

Ambrus

Explorer
Yeah. I'm blocked too. Darn. I was just about to start a Planescape 4e thread in the Other Worlds forum. :D

I guess the 4e forums weren't intended to be generally accessible until tomorrow. Kudos to those who posted screen captures! Nothing escapes us here at ENworld! :cool:

Vocenoctum

First Post
Friadoc said:
Did the 4e Forum just become inaccessible for anyone else?

If you noticed the top line, it was a WizO admin forum. No one was supposed to see it yet, when I'd assume they'll move it to the main forums.

*sigh*

Well, if it's official, then that's the worst news I've heard in a long time.

Well, at least I'll be able to finish collecting 3.5 books, but now I'm going to end up a grognard bitterly refusing to play newfangled

I find myself not only disinterested in 4e, but outright hostile to the concept. The more I think of it, the less I think we need a new core edition, and the more I see myself finding my "retro" niche as a 3.5 guy.

When 3e was announced, I was cautiously optimistic since I knew 2e was way behind the times. When 3.5 was announced, I knew 3e was good but had stuff that needed fixing. Now, things work but I have the deep suspicion that this is nothing but a cash grab.

A new edition of D&D is coming out. . .just as Dragon and Dungon magazines die and their names are plundered for some pay-access website. A new edition is announced at Gen Con just a few months after WotC said it would never be announced at Gen Con and would only be announced at Winter Fantasy.

WotC is going to have to utterly knock my socks off with this 4e for me to even do so much as buy a PHB.

Friadoc

Explorer
EricNoah said:
The sadness for me is in the possibility that Paizo will go all-4E next year ... I'll only get a year's worth of their Pathfinder goodness.

Yeah, I was having the same thought on this end, too.

But, that could depend, Paizo could go the OGL route, too, ala Green Ronin.

Or, maybe 4e is just a continued evolution, ala 3e to 3.5.

Heck, maybe they're lisencing Monte's system for Arcana Evolved. ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases