The big announcement: 4dventure

takasi

First Post
Eric, hopefully the new programmers they hire will take a hint from what's already out there.

eTools was a fiasco, but that's because of its scope.

Take our group, for example. We play twice a week at the table, and have other campaigns we play online. We keep it simple, using MapTool.

If WotC had something very simple, like MapTool, we would might switch.

If WotC had something like MapTool and provided a central location to find players, we'd probably switch.

If WotC had MapTool, a centralized location to find players and a persistent database of characters, it would be a no brainer.

But we'll see.

And despite having several campaigns (or perhaps because of it), we'll have a mix of 3.5 and 4E games. War of the Burning Sky is going on month 6 and we only finished the second module, we're 3/4 through Savage Tide, 1/2 through Shackled City, going through Mysteries of the Moonsea and Expedition to the Demonweb Pits and I'm also running the old Dungeon FR Mere of Dead Men series (converting them on the fly).

EricNoah

Adventurer
Hjorimir said:
Give yourself to the D4rk Side.

attachment.php

Oh my. :)

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
wingsandsword said:
Well, at least I'll be able to finish collecting 3.5 books, but now I'm going to end up a grognard bitterly refusing to play newfangled
I guess we should start a support group. I'm still trying to find myself a replacement 3.5e game after I switched cities, and that's been hard enough. Now I'm going to be one of those weirdo holdouts all coming up to people on the street and mumbling, "hey kid. You want some Savage Tide? You want some Mystic Theurge? I got what you need, man."

The only consolation is that I haven't even finished running Age of Worms yet, and I've got Savage Tide and Pathfinder ahead of me (I loves me some Paizo flagship adventures). That means I've got a few years of life left in my 3.5 books.

This is depressing. It's not that I have anything against a new edition per se, but it's going to make it more difficult to find 3rd edition players, and it's already difficult.

Ycore Rixle

First Post
So now that the news has sunk in, I'm sitting here looking at the 4dventure ad on p.37 of the Gen Con program, and I'm thinking, "Man, doesn't the 4E announcement deserve at least a double-page spread?"

Talath

Explorer
A big part of 3e for me was following Eric Noahs site and keeping up on the leaks and designer tidbits about 3rd edition: from confirmation on rules content and whatnot, to reasonings why rules were designed a certain way, to how playtesters shaped the rules as they are.

I look forward to feeling excited for a game again in the same way I was excited about 3e. Here is hoping 4e isn't lame.

Goblyn

Explorer
EricNoah said:
You know, we need to get started on a very vital task right away... those of us staying with 3rd edition must .. I say MUST ... start coming up with clever perjoratives for those traitors going on to 4th edition. Something to rival "3etard" in its cleverness.

Get crackin'!
How about 4sshat?

jgbrowning said:
From my understanding, yes. Not open, but licensed products from 3rd party publishers. I am roughly 90% certain of this latter part. I am 100% certain of 4E announcement and have been for over a week, but didn't want to spoil anyones announcements.

But now that it's announced I can finally say something.... *if been bursting to say something* :)

joe b.

Wow, that must have been hard to keep to yourself Joe. I imagine that there were several other people in gaming companies that have been in the very same position as you. I'm surprised that the information hasn't been leaked before now.

Olaf the Stout

EricNoah

Adventurer
Talath said:
A big part of 3e for me was following Eric Noahs site and keeping up on the leaks and designer tidbits about 3rd edition: from confirmation on rules content and whatnot, to reasonings why rules were designed a certain way, to how playtesters shaped the rules as they are.

I look forward to feeling excited for a game again in the same way I was excited about 3e. Here is hoping 4e isn't lame.

Who knows ... if they blow me away with the character generator, and if the editions are not so far apart and conversion of adventure material is relatively easy ... I certainly can't say "never."

Ishmayl

First Post
Korgoth said:
Pretty hilarious, really. I hope nobody gets in trouble over it.

"Sir, the cat's out of the bag."
"How far out?"
"300,000 kilometers per second. The bag opened about a half hour ago."

I'm pretty sure the "cat out of the bag" was nothing more than a publicity stunt. Seriously, now thousands (if not ten of thousands) of people are going to know tomorrow to check out the site, who would otherwise not go to www.wizards.com/dnd unless their life depended on it (such as myself).

Talath

Explorer
EricNoah said:
Who knows ... if they blow me away with the character generator, and if the editions are not so far apart and conversion of adventure material is relatively easy ... I certainly can't say "never."

I'm just saying. If I pick up the 4e PHB and it doesn't blow my mind with it's hardcore rocktastic gamertude, then I won't pick it up.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases