D&D 4E 4E: What we think we know

Korgoth said:
They are links to the 4E discussion forum that evidently went live only accidentally... there are/were something like 20 pre-generated threads on various topics relevant to 4E. Each thread contained an introductory sentence from which could be gleaned certain preliminary facts... such as the Core Books thread which referred (predictably) to a PHB, DMG and MM.

That whole schmeer has been locked down by Mods.

Being a puppet on strings is growing tiresome.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Keldryn said:
I'm really hoping that 4e gets rid of the need to create such characters as the aforementioned Fighter/Sorcerer/Spellsword/Eldrich Knight. Previews of 3rd Edition talked about creating virtually any character concept by multiclassing a couple of base classes and choosing the right feats. I hope that 4e takes us back to that concept, with multiclassing that doesn't require prestige classes to fix spellcaster advancement and feats that scale with your level so that you don't need a selection of 1,200 feats.
I'm afraid that you're dreaming. Oh, it'll be that way at first... but after a while the glut of books will come to the fore again. Then it'll be time for 5E. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

Keldryn

Adventurer
Ed_Laprade said:
I'm afraid that you're dreaming. Oh, it'll be that way at first... but after a while the glut of books will come to the fore again. Then it'll be time for 5E. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

I'm sure it will. I just hope that the core rules are a little better thought-out so that you don't need stuff like the Mystic Theurge to make a character concept work.

I have no doubt that 6 years after 4e we'll be drowning in supplements. It would be nice, however, if they organized them a little differently this time, rather than just "Fighter Book," "Wizard Book," "Elf Book" and such, and went with specific themes or campaign styles and included options that applied equally to all character types. The amount of material used in any one campaign from a single one of those books is a very small percentage. More like how the GURPS supplements are put together, I suppose.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Moon-Lancer said:
so is everyone sure that 4.0 wont have a ogl? by the looks of it, some people saw the thread. anyone here at enworld?
I think it was Joe Browning (XPS) that posted something to that effect and (apparently) he's know about 4E for about a week now.

krissbeth

First Post
Wow. This is even faster than the legitimate entertainment industry's methods: vinyl, 8-tracks, cassette tapes, cds, mp3s, iPods.... Same music, bought just in time to be obsolete.

I can't say that I'm enthralled with this third edition to be released in less than 10 years.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases