4E 4E: What we think we know - Page 2
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 456
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Waubra, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    13,137
    It may also allow a 3rd party to do an adventure with... mind flayers...

    Cheers!
    Merric Blackman
    Merric's Musings - reviews, session reports, play advice
    The Great List of D&D 5E Adventures

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggusGeekus
    Not really.

    The fan stuff kinda-sorta sucks, but it keeps people from reprinting 100% of the released material on their geocities site. And it only sucks for the publishers if WotC is real tight with the license. So far they've been pretty cool with their IP (mind flayers, beholders, etc).

    What it does is allow WotC to avoid a Book of Erotic Fantasy 2: The FATAL Edition. And game stores won't get screwed with a d20 glut.
    Well, to be honest, it's already forked. Green Ronin forked with True20 as a means to avoid 4E and new licensing.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjorimir
    I'm not entirely convinced that's a bad thing, depending on how hard/expensive they make it to licence 4E. There are some great 3rd-party publishers to be certain, but (over the years) there has been some very, very bad ones too.

    Maybe requiring a licencing fee will keep the quality up from the very beginning. Just a thought.
    I'm reserving judgement until I can read the full details of the 4E licensing structure. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    5,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjorimir
    I'm not entirely convinced that's a bad thing, depending on how hard/expensive they make it to licence 4E. There are some great 3rd-party publishers to be certain, but (over the years) there has been some very, very bad ones too.

    Maybe requiring a licencing fee will keep the quality up from the very beginning. Just a thought.
    Eh - personally, the reason I liked 3.x so much was the 3rd party stuff from the smaller guys/startups. The vast majority of the bad products were shovelware from the larger established RPG companies looking to cash in (AEG/FFG/Avalanche). There were exceptions like Mongoose and Fast Forward (a new company make up of industry vets) that also glutted the market, but I bet those 5 companies accounted for 90% of the bad material.

    Granted, the presentation from some of the smaller companies was bad (like early Mystic Eye products), but the actual content was quite good, I thought.
    Last edited by trancejeremy; Thursday, 16th August, 2007 at 04:38 AM.

  5. #15
    so is this for real? 4e is coming out this gen con?

    if thats true, that kindof sucks imho. I was working on a really awesome 3.5 campaign setting. Probably still going to go through with it, and maybe convert to 4e if i can get a license.

    think their will still be a big market for 3.5 in a few years?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon-Lancer
    so is this for real? 4e is coming out this gen con?

    if thats true, that kindof sucks imho. I was working on a really awesome 3.5 campaign setting. Probably still going to go through with it, and maybe convert to 4e if i can get a license.

    think their will still be a big market for 3.5 in a few years?
    We only know that WotC is only announcing 4E, not when it is comming out. My guess is GenCon 08, but that's pure conjecture on my part.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon-Lancer
    think their will still be a big market for 3.5 in a few years?
    I imagine. There are going to be plenty of people who have invested so heavily in 3.5E that they won't want to turn around ... or they'll want to do both until the sources for 4E are varied. Think about it. After being used to playing a sorcerer/fighter/spellsword/Eldritch Knight ... would you want to go back to a core only game for a while? Yeah, it'd be fun to try out the new rules ... but there will be a while while people still want the options.

    Once 4E has an opportunity to build up its resource books, though, the 3.5 market will probably diminish. Those who stay with 3.5 will do so because they already have more than they need in a lifetime of gaming.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    10,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon-Lancer
    so is this for real? 4e is coming out this gen con?
    Nope. As best we can tell, the announcement will officially be made at GenCon. That suggests, to me, at least six months to a year before it's actually out.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonlethal Force
    I imagine. There are going to be plenty of people who have invested so heavily in 3.5E that they won't want to turn around ... or they'll want to do both until the sources for 4E are varied. Think about it. After being used to playing a sorcerer/fighter/spellsword/Eldritch Knight ... would you want to go back to a core only game for a while? Yeah, it'd be fun to try out the new rules ... but there will be a while while people still want the options.

    Once 4E has an opportunity to build up its resource books, though, the 3.5 market will probably diminish. Those who stay with 3.5 will do so because they already have more than they need in a lifetime of gaming.
    Actually, I'm pretty excited about the thought of the game downsizing...at least for the time being. Then again, I'm in the camp that wants 4E to be STREAMLINED.

    Less Work, More Fun!

    I love D&D, but hate the work it requires.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseferatu
    Nope. As best we can tell, the announcement will officially be made at GenCon. That suggests, to me, at least six months to a year before it's actually out.

    So much for using the D&D Experience to make major announcements about D&D.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •