D&D 4E 4E: What we think we know

Xyxox

Hero
BiggusGeekus said:
Not really.

The fan stuff kinda-sorta sucks, but it keeps people from reprinting 100% of the released material on their geocities site. And it only sucks for the publishers if WotC is real tight with the license. So far they've been pretty cool with their IP (mind flayers, beholders, etc).

What it does is allow WotC to avoid a Book of Erotic Fantasy 2: The FATAL Edition. And game stores won't get screwed with a d20 glut.

Well, to be honest, it's already forked. Green Ronin forked with True20 as a means to avoid 4E and new licensing.

Bacris

First Post
Hjorimir said:
I'm not entirely convinced that's a bad thing, depending on how hard/expensive they make it to licence 4E. There are some great 3rd-party publishers to be certain, but (over the years) there has been some very, very bad ones too.

Maybe requiring a licencing fee will keep the quality up from the very beginning. Just a thought.

I'm reserving judgement until I can read the full details of the 4E licensing structure. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Hjorimir said:
I'm not entirely convinced that's a bad thing, depending on how hard/expensive they make it to licence 4E. There are some great 3rd-party publishers to be certain, but (over the years) there has been some very, very bad ones too.

Maybe requiring a licencing fee will keep the quality up from the very beginning. Just a thought.

Eh - personally, the reason I liked 3.x so much was the 3rd party stuff from the smaller guys/startups. The vast majority of the bad products were shovelware from the larger established RPG companies looking to cash in (AEG/FFG/Avalanche). There were exceptions like Mongoose and Fast Forward (a new company make up of industry vets) that also glutted the market, but I bet those 5 companies accounted for 90% of the bad material.

Granted, the presentation from some of the smaller companies was bad (like early Mystic Eye products), but the actual content was quite good, I thought.

Last edited:

Moon-Lancer

First Post
so is this for real? 4e is coming out this gen con?

if thats true, that kindof sucks imho. I was working on a really awesome 3.5 campaign setting. Probably still going to go through with it, and maybe convert to 4e if i can get a license.

think their will still be a big market for 3.5 in a few years?

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Moon-Lancer said:

if thats true, that kindof sucks imho. I was working on a really awesome 3.5 campaign setting. Probably still going to go through with it, and maybe convert to 4e if i can get a license.

We only know that WotC is only announcing 4E, not when it is comming out. My guess is GenCon 08, but that's pure conjecture on my part.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:

I imagine. There are going to be plenty of people who have invested so heavily in 3.5E that they won't want to turn around ... or they'll want to do both until the sources for 4E are varied. Think about it. After being used to playing a sorcerer/fighter/spellsword/Eldritch Knight ... would you want to go back to a core only game for a while? Yeah, it'd be fun to try out the new rules ... but there will be a while while people still want the options.

Once 4E has an opportunity to build up its resource books, though, the 3.5 market will probably diminish. Those who stay with 3.5 will do so because they already have more than they need in a lifetime of gaming.

Moon-Lancer said:

Nope. As best we can tell, the announcement will officially be made at GenCon. That suggests, to me, at least six months to a year before it's actually out.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Nonlethal Force said:
I imagine. There are going to be plenty of people who have invested so heavily in 3.5E that they won't want to turn around ... or they'll want to do both until the sources for 4E are varied. Think about it. After being used to playing a sorcerer/fighter/spellsword/Eldritch Knight ... would you want to go back to a core only game for a while? Yeah, it'd be fun to try out the new rules ... but there will be a while while people still want the options.

Once 4E has an opportunity to build up its resource books, though, the 3.5 market will probably diminish. Those who stay with 3.5 will do so because they already have more than they need in a lifetime of gaming.
Actually, I'm pretty excited about the thought of the game downsizing...at least for the time being. Then again, I'm in the camp that wants 4E to be STREAMLINED.

Less Work, More Fun!

I love D&D, but hate the work it requires.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Mouseferatu said:
Nope. As best we can tell, the announcement will officially be made at GenCon. That suggests, to me, at least six months to a year before it's actually out.

So much for using the D&D Experience to make major announcements about D&D.

Remove ads