D&D 4E 4E tidbits from WotC blogs (Updated:David Noonan on Social Interactions)

Glyfair

Explorer
This post is too long, so I'm ceasing to update the main post. Search through this thread for quotes, or even better, visit the blogs page!

WotC has set up a number of blogs for WotC employees to discuss there GenCon thoughts (a lot of them don't have any ;) ).

James Wyatt's has a lot of hints.

A few that stood out to me:

James Wyatt's blog said:
And it is a rise, let me tell you. I'm so excited about Fourth Edition I can barely contain myself. Running the Delve in our booth yesterday was awkward—I saw so many of the things I have grown to dislike about 3E come into play. Oh, the poor rogue's useless against all these plants and elementals. Oh, the poor dwarf didn't confirm his crit. Oh, look at all the people forgetting about attacks of opportunity (especially at reach) and getting pummeled as a result. I can't say too much about it, but you can be sure it's not just grapple that got an overhaul.

James Wyatt's blog said:
I'm playing a paladin in Andy Collins' monthly game. I love paladins—I seem to keep writing about them in my fiction. (Check out "Blade of the Flame" in the Tales of the Last War anthology for a concise example, or read my other novels!) But I've never liked playing a paladin. At one point during the design of this game, I made a paladin for a game where we were testing out Dungeon Tiles, and it made me so sad. I could smite evil once. Then I was done—down to swinging my sword once per round. I wasn't sad when I died. I love my new paladin.

James Wyatt's blog said:
3e got a lot of things right, but anyone who has played it for a time knows that it gets things wrong. There are also legacy issues with the game that have persisted unquestioned for years. 4e is all about taking the things that work in D&D, keeping them in the game, and fixing everything else.

James Wyatt's blog said:
(By the way, if you are at GenCon, the staff is wearing buttons that say "Ask Me About 4th Edition D&D" for a reason. We don't just dig buttons, we want you to ask questions. At this stage, the ball is in your court. What do you guys want to know? We can't necessarily answer every question, but we'll do what we can.

Mike Mearls' blog said:
3e got a lot of things right, but anyone who has played it for a time knows that it gets things wrong. There are also legacy issues with the game that have persisted unquestioned for years. 4e is all about taking the things that work in D&D, keeping them in the game, and fixing everything else.

Mike Mearls' blog said:
(By the way, if you are at GenCon, the staff is wearing buttons that say "Ask Me About 4th Edition D&D" for a reason. We don't just dig buttons, we want you to ask questions. At this stage, the ball is in your court. What do you guys want to know? We can't necessarily answer every question, but we'll do what we can.

Mike Mearls' blog said:
Design game elements for their intended use. Secondary uses are nice, but not a goal. Basically, when we build a monster we intend you to use it as a monster. If we build a feat, it's meant as a feat, not a monster special attack. If we also want to make it a playable character race, we'll design a separate racial write up for it. We won't try to shoehorn a monster stat block into becoming a PC stat block. The designs must inform each other, but we're better off building two separate game elements rather than one that tries to multiclass.

As an example, the a theoretical minotaur PC race write up draws on and evokes the feel of the minotaur monster, but it doesn't simply copy over the rules.

BTW, who knew that so many people disliked Vancian spellcasting? The entire audience in yesterday's seminar cheered and clapped when we told them it was (mostly) gone.

Last edited:

heirodule

First Post
Glyfair said:
And it is a rise, let me tell you. I'm so excited about Fourth Edition I can barely contain myself. Running the Delve in our booth yesterday was awkward—I saw so many of the things I have grown to dislike about 3E come into play. Oh, the poor rogue's useless against all these plants and elementals. Oh, the poor dwarf didn't confirm his crit. Oh, look at all the people forgetting about attacks of opportunity (especially at reach) and getting pummeled as a result. I can't say too much about it, but you can be sure it's not just grapple that got an overhaul.

Wow what alot of whining.

I'm gonna hate 4e if its all "I can do anything all the time!" Sneak attack oozes, right in the....um, goo! Dwarf all crits all the time

DM: That monster attacks you! and takes 2d6 damage because you happened to be holding a sword. pre-rolled AOOs for your conveniece!

:p

Glyfair

Explorer
heirodule said:
I'm gonna hate 4e if its all "I can do anything all the time!" Sneak attack oozes, right in the....um, goo! Dwarf all crits all the time

There is a big difference between "I want my sneak attack to work against everything" and "I'm useless against these 3 types of creatures, I'll be sitting back here while you guys have fun."

heirodule

First Post
Glyfair said:
There is a big difference between "I want my sneak attack to work against everything" and "I'm useless against these 3 types of creatures, I'll be sitting back here while you guys have fun."

Rogues should be more versatile by smart play!

What about throwing tanglefoot bags at the plants

What about UMD and a wand of magic missiles?

What about doing bits of damage here and there.

anyway :D

Stormborn

Explorer
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
The crit comment makes me think Action Points of some sort are in.

While it suggests to me that 4e wont confirm crits anymore, it will be just x2 on a 20 and thats it. Where as the comments about the rogue just suggest that they will try to give the rogue the ability to do 'something' regarless of the situation and that the class will not be limited in combat to SAs.

I do think, however, that something like action points are a strong possibilty.

Khairn

First Post
heirodule said:

Just keep in mind that 4E and the DDI is being designed to attract new players, primarily from the MMORPG's and as such simplicity is believed to be a key feature. Class abilities, that up until 2 days ago were considered "Features" of 3.5 that encouraged tactics such as you are suggesting, are now considered overly complex and a bane to fun and enjoyment of the game.

When reading these blogs, I see advertisments, and not anything even close to honest impartiality. But then again, they aren't impartial, they're trying to sell you the product.

Devyn said:
Just keep in mind that 4E and the DDI is being designed to attract new players, primarily from the MMORPG's and as such simplicity is believed to be a key feature.

I've seen cries on this very board, for the past four years, about making the game simpler.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
heirodule said:

Because Fantasy butt-kicking should not be about the trinkets I carry.

Khairn

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
I've seen cries on this very board, for the past four years, about making the game simpler.

I've heard the same cries. I've never agreed with them as I find D&D to be a pretty simple game. The GM controls how much complexity he's going to use. And 4E will end up being the same. Sure the core books will be simple (just as the 3E core were) but then each successive book will add more and more until 4E will be in the exact same condition that many feel 3.5 is in.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases