Gaming with Gygax

grodog

Hero
Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to see Gary except in passing at dinner at the Ram on Thursday night, and another afternoon on his way down the street. And I didn't see Erik either :-(

T. Foster said:
OK, enough mushy stuff -- let's get down to serious business:

LOL! :D Well-said, Trent! Similarly, scans of the maps would be nice, too, Henry!

paradox42

First Post
I got lucky and met Gary at the Troll Lord booth on Thursday myself; unfortunately I didn't have anything with me for signing so I bought a copy of the Cosmos Builder on the spot and requested an autograph. He was gracious enough to give one, even though he took pains to point out that Richard Balsley wrote it, not him. It was a great honor to meet him of course, but I didn't want to monopolize his time with my stories so I just thanked him for what he did for the hobby, wished him improved health in the future, and then went on my way. Delaying slightly around the booth before I did go, but who could blame me?

I didn't take a photo unfortunately; it seemed somehow intrusive to do so- so I held back.

Running through the original dungeon with him using the original d20 and getting to kill the Gelatinous Cube must have been sheer magic. Congratulations all you mods.
The period is there instead of an exclamation because I am, in fact, jealous.
:D

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Piratecat said:
Photos exist - both of us at the game, and of the maps! Hopefully the mods will post 'em.
Sitting on my camera at home. I'll make sure to post the one of Gary's dice! El-remmen has the group shot of us together.

This may sound like hyperbole, but as I mentioned before, this was really one of the highlights in my life. Not just playing with the Colonel - which was fantastic, after all these years playing the hobby he helped create! - but being around a table with these guys to do it was what made it really special. If Russ and Al hadn't missed their flight, we would have had players from three continents around the table, playing D&D with the father of the game. To me, that's what ENworld, GenCon, and RPGs are all about. Things don't get cooler than that.

Unless you're Mrs. Gygax, who let her husband do this ON THEIR 20th ANNIVERSARY! She gets big props and thanks from us.

BTW, Rel's AWESOME natural 20 was paid for by all the 1s we rolled for damage during the rest of the game. Its wasn't just Henry's poor healing rolls; I probably did a total of about 10 points of damage with my Fighting Man...

Last edited:

T. Foster

First Post
Eridanis said:
Unless you're Mrs. Gygax, who let her husband do this ON THEIR 20th ANNIVERSARY! She gets big props and thanks from us.
Not to take anything away from Mrs. Gygax (whom I've never met but have never heard a single bad thing about, and whom I'm sure has the patience and forebearance of a saint) but she had to realize what she was getting herself into by: 1) marrying Gary Gygax, and 2) doing so in mid-August. I mean, their wedding itself must have occured either right before or right after GenCon 20! :)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
T. Foster said:
Not to take anything away from Mrs. Gygax (whom I've never met but have never heard a single bad thing about, and whom I'm sure has the patience and forebearance of a saint) but she had to realize what she was getting herself into by: 1) marrying Gary Gygax, and 2) doing so in mid-August. I mean, their wedding itself must have occured either right before or right after GenCon 20! :)

This was sort of my stance as well. I mean if you're already making the concession that you're letting your husband go to GenCon (when he's like, ya know, the FATHER of the game) then you're pretty much aware that the weekend won't be ALL about your wedding anniversary. Nonetheless, she was incredibly kind and gracious to us that evening and I think that speaks volumes about what a wonderful woman she must be.

Way ta go, GARY!

Remove ads