Edition Defining Adventures

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
I was just thinking recently that as much as Adventures are generally not seen as a huge profit center for D&D, it is often the published adventures that stand out as a point of common reference within this hobby. Further more, some adventures do an excellent job of promoting the hobby as a whole.

So what truly impressive adventures have come out for 3rd edition? Specifically, what adventures are impressive enough that most people have at least heard of them and have a good idea of what they are about, even if they have not played them? I must concede that i have not had the opportunity to run many adventures, but I am currently enjoying running Red Hand of Doom.

1st Edition (and earlier): Temple of Elemental Evil, Tomb of Horrors, Castle Greyhawk
2nd Edition: Dragon Mountain, Ravenloft Module, Undermountain?
3rd Edition: Sunless Citidel

While I fully expect people to name their favorites, and end up debating their merits, I consider a defining adventure to be one in which most informed gamers will recognize the names of key NPC's, or places, or encounters. I am sure most people on this board have some idea of who Meepo is, regardless of what you think of the actual adventure for Sunless Citidel.

END COMMUNICATION

Fedifensor

Explorer
Lord Zardoz said:
1st Edition (and earlier): Temple of Elemental Evil, Tomb of Horrors, Castle Greyhawk
2nd Edition: Dragon Mountain, Ravenloft Module, Undermountain?
3rd Edition: Sunless Citidel

While I fully expect people to name their favorites, and end up debating their merits, I consider a defining adventure to be one in which most informed gamers will recognize the names of key NPC's, or places, or encounters. I am sure most people on this board have some idea of who Meepo is, regardless of what you think of the actual adventure for Sunless Citidel.

1E: Tomb of Horrors is THE adventure that defines 1E, though White Plume Mountain and Temple of Elemental Evil are also strong contenders (who hasn't heard of Wave, Whelm, and Blackrazor?). Also, while you may not recognize all the key NPCs, anyone hearing the boxed text would instantly recognize the Against the Giants series.
2E: Honestly, I can't think of anything...but I didn't play too much of 2E (Storyteller and HERO took up all my time)
3E: The most recognizable 3E modules are retreads of 1E modules, such as Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. It's hard to pick out one because WotC's offerings weren't that special, and there was a LOT to choose from with other publishers.

My gut tells me that Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil works better than Sunless Citadel for the 'defining' 3e adventure.

Though it also tells me that Shackled City nails it even more so, though it doesn't have the name recognition as much, from what I've seen.

T. Foster

First Post
OD&D: Temple of the Frog, Tegel Manor (Judges Guild)
Classic D&D (i.e. B/X D&D, OD&D 2+E): Keep on the Borderlands, Isle of Dread
1E AD&D: Tomb of Horrors, Village of Hommlet, Against the Giants, Ravenloft
2E AD&D: The Terrible Trouble at Tragidore :p
3E D&D: (dunno)

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
To a large extent, the recognizability of elements of an adventure comes from those elements getting revisisted in later products and editions in some fashion.

In 3rd edition, this makes The Sunless Citadel, Heart of Nightfang Spire, and Bastion of Broken Souls the contenders. Meepo has shown up in D20 Modern of all places, along with D&D Minis. Gulthias and another undead NPC from Spire have cameos in Libris Mortis and I seem to recall Gulthias getting mentioned elsewhere as well. Ashardalon has a nod in the 3.5 DMG, as well as Draconomicon and a few other places.

In 2nd Edition, Gates of Firestorm Peak introduced concepts that continue to be referenced today (the Far Realms).

1st Edition has treasures all over the place, throughout the editions.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
Grog said:
Surely the GDQ series should be on the 1E list. Maybe even at the top.

QFT. Not for no reason has the "G" series alone gone through no fewer than five reprintings.

The "G" series of adventures really define ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS.

I for one was never about I6 RAVENLOFT, but that's just me.

Treebore

First Post
The modules I think should define 3E are all by Necromancer Games via WW or TLG.

Lost City of Barakus
Tomb of Abysthor
Rappan Athuk
Grey Citadel
and several others.

I have a bunch more to actually play yet from Goodman, Kenzer and Paradigm, so I will hopefully add more to the list eventually.

The older editions were more than adequately covered by Paizo/Dungeon Magazine for the top modules of all time.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases