Red Hand of Doom: help for a dm?

Moon-Lancer

First Post
Im making this thread so i may ask questions of those who have already experienced hand of doom. If their is a better thread to ask such questions, please point it out.

my question is in the spoiler

[sblock]
I have read alot of this book over, and one thing i don't understand (or i missed) is how do I motivate the pcs to go up to rhest in the second part of the adventure?
[/sblock]

Peni Griffin

First Post
I skipped this chapter, but I would have put some information in Koth's files - correspondence with Saarvith, for example. These files make an excellent info dump/railroad depot if you really need one.

In the module, the Rhest road is closed and Wiston asks the PCs to go deal with that and investigate suspicious activity in the Blackfens area. You could also send them on a mission specifically to recruit the Titor Kiri elves.

If you have the kind of players who don't like following clues or aren't very good with them, you will have your work cut out for you in this module. You may find yourself expanding snippets from the setting data. Look at the map - who else might be motivated to go deal with the Rhest roadblock? They can die horribly except for the torchbearer who stumbles out of the woods to expire at the PCs feet, gasping: "The ruins! They're crawling! The dragons, the dragons!"

Moon-Lancer

First Post
thanks, i have been having a mental block for this section. Its funny, i was even in a red hand of doom game for alot of this section, but i forget why we went to Rhest. :p

I think having a few key leaders ask them to muster support by gaining the aid of the elves and dwarves is a good idea. thanks.

edit*

I found the section I had missed. its page 38 Rumors of War, and page 41 when talking to the speaker. If rumors of war dont work I will use the muster support idea.

Last edited:

Peni Griffin

First Post
My players are so smart, I like to let them to a lot of my work.

It is my habit to do periodic e-mail infodumps (saves talking head time in the game and gives players hard copy to refer to), which always include a lot of extra stuff which I don't expect the players to deal with directly, just to create a sense that the world does not center on them and to give NPCs other things to do than fulfill the campaign objective, so that the PCs become the logical person to do the job. If they get more interested in the alternate problem, well, that can work, too. Far be it from me to make people tackle a problem that doesn't interest them.

So, for various reasons the PCs got to Brindol after the Horde's started moving but before it would be appropriate to run the council meeting in the book. So they report on what they were doing and hear the reports from the other people, for the purpose of which I went through the town stats at the front of the book and figured out how the population of each town would behave, and integrated this news into the meeting. Reading about Baron Trask and his brigand sons, I realized that this was the perfect time to make a landgrab - Brindol, the closest thing to a regulatory agency in the Vale, can't possibly spare personnel to deal with Trask's power bid, and in fact if he takes over Red Rock and Marthton, reducing the first town to order and using the treasury of the second for military purposes, he'd make a better ally than either of the existing governments, except for being an imperialist creep. So he makes his move and the council is arguing how to respond, when one of my players pipes up (note that the BBEG is a duergar intent on conquering people, then using them to conquer more people):

If you'll pardon my interruption, Red Rock sounds like just the sort of community the duergar are interested in. What are the chances Trask seized Red Rock with the idea of selling it to the duergar for Elsircross's freedom? Or that the orcs of Red Rock will accept Trask's aid only to sell him out when the Red Hand arrives? He knows Brindol doesn't dare commit troops, but he also knows if Brindol survives the war he'll be punished for taking the opportunity to seize the mines. If you consult the map we have, Red Rock and Elsircross don't have notations about plunder or killing the citizens. There may be a more sinister meaning to that lack.

Given my set up, this would in fact a brilliant move for the Red Hand, giving them a secret ally on Brindol's flank - and it suits with Ulwai's red-herring info about recruiting monster's from the Giant's Shield, too.

I haven't decided yet whether Trask is acting independently or has been suborned, but I give you all this development as a free subplot, should you care to use it.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
Ok, sorry for rezzing my old thread, but I have another question.

I am a bit concerned about treasure in red hand. many of the creatures have loot on them already. Do I only need to generate treasure when a creature has no treasure listed or if its a a random encounter?

Playing through Red Hand, I found that no, there's no need at all to add more treasure. Especially if the PCs are the sorts to bundle up a bunch of the +1 shortswords they keep picking up, and if you give them a chance to sell their loot. I believe at one point we stopped off at a dwarf stronghold somewhere in the south of the region (not sure if that's part of the core adventure or not), and offloaded like 80,000 gp of treasure. The handy haversacks that half of the party had from the start of the adventure really paid dividends.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
I think it depends at least as much on how well your able to have villains escape or use their limited use items. The Hobgoblin Veterans in this adventure have a staggering amount of healing potions on them, and their gear is pretty good. If your able to make the Veterans take advantage of those potions, then the players obtaining them is not such a problem.

There are plenty of opportunities to obtain magic items and cash, but you can mitigate this fairly simply. The adventure is very time sensitive, and if your players do not have Handy Haversacks or Bags of Holding, then carrying huge amounts of masterwork weapons and armour around will add up. You do not even need to bother modifying their tactical movement rate. Just apply the penalty to the overland movement.

Alternatively, consider having some of the beefier opponents simply sunder various objects. Or just deem that the bonuses to the magical weapons only function for worshippers of Tiamat unless the players can have some time consuming magical rites to purify the weapons.

END COMMUNICATION

Moon-Lancer

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Playing through Red Hand, I found that no, there's no need at all to add more treasure. Especially if the PCs are the sorts to bundle up a bunch of the +1 shortswords they keep picking up, and if you give them a chance to sell their loot. I believe at one point we stopped off at a dwarf stronghold somewhere in the south of the region (not sure if that's part of the core adventure or not), and offloaded like 80,000 gp of treasure. The handy haversacks that half of the party had from the start of the adventure really paid dividends.

well thats good to know that i wont need to figure out what encounters i need to generate treasure and what ones i dont....

Pbartender

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
Im making this thread so i may ask questions of those who have already experienced hand of doom. If their is a better thread to ask such questions, please point it out.

my question is in the spoiler

[sblock]
I have read alot of this book over, and one thing i don't understand (or i missed) is how do I motivate the pcs to go up to rhest in the second part of the adventure?
[/sblock]

In our game, we went for it on our own for several reasons based solely on the map we found in Koth's stronghold...

First, the potential of gaining the elves as allies in the inevitable battles to come. Second, the possibility to eliminate another prominent enemy leader and his base of operations. Third, elimination of the roadblocks that were harassing refugees. Fourth, securing the Horde's possible round-about "back door" route into the Vale. Fifth, the opportunity to play Paul Revere and warn all the settlements between Drellin's Ferry and Brindol.

After evacuating Drellin's Ferry, heading for Rhest via Brindol was simply the most sensible option based on the information and time we had available.

frankthedm

First Post
Lord Zardoz said:
You do not even need to bother modifying their tactical movement rate. Just apply the penalty to the overland movement.
I reccomend treating every PC is in medium load unless the player has his gear wieght added up to prove otherwise.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases