Question for the "Players Make All the Rolls" crowd...

Asmor

First Post
I'm going to try out the players make all the rolls house rules in my next game, and I had a question... They always address skill checks, attack rolls, saving throws, and other tosses of the d20, but I don't see damage mentioned. Do you have the PCs roll the damage they take as well?

eamon

Explorer
I also try to let my players roll everything, but sometimes encounter issues with Search/Spot/Sense Motive checks. I mean, if they roll badly on a sense motive, they know they can't trust the result, so if I then say that an NPC is on the level, it's difficult to roleplay. They try, but that's an annoying player/character knowledge gap to create. Are there any solutions for that?

Quartz

Hero
Have the players pre-roll the d20 several times at the start of the session and note the results.

Or have several sheets of pre-rolled results and let the players pick a sheet. Then they roll another die and you cross off that many results.

I like the sheet method because you can simply use it for all your d20 and d% rolls, both secret and otherwise. Then the players never know when you're marking off a secret result.

Asmor

First Post
I'm specifically talking about the variant rules presented in Unearthed Arcana, Rycanada's "Raising the Stakes" document, and elsewhere, where players roll defense checks when they get attacked, spell power checks to beat monster saves, etc.

Remove ads