run away then charge? one actioN?

Idayen Relanite

First Post
ok the rules basically say you can move up to yoru base movement, then partial charge in 1 round.... and if you have spring attack the other person wouldn't get an aoo, and if you have power lung you would get pluses to damage, so there is 2 feats for a level 1 war, and he is already able to have an extra +2 to hit, and X2 to strength damage.

we also have the power gamers who spirited charge, ride by attack, mounted attack.....and as a level 1 that is insane, with a lance you do.... 3d8+strength...and get +2 to hit ( neg 2 ac if you miss ) ...and the other person gets no chance to attack if it's not on a horse...

Last edited:

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Idayen Relanite said:
ok the rules basicly say you can move up to yoru basemovment, then partail charge in 1 round.... and if you have spring attack the other perosn wouldn't get an aoo, and if you have pwoer lung you would get pluses to damage, so there is 2 feats for a level 1 war, and he is already able to have an extra +2 to hit, and X2 to stregth damage.

You can only do a partial charge during a partial action, such as one you get when hasted, when you ready an action, when acting in a surprise round, or when you are slowed. You cannot choose to perform a partial charge as a standard action.

Also, you can't move and make a partial action in a turn. This is clarified in the FAQ.
Is it possible to prepare a partial charge, move, turn, and then execute the charge? Do I get a 5-foot step in between my move and my charge? Can I squeeze an extra 5 feet of movement out of each round by moving as a partial action, then taking a 5-foot step and attacking as a partial action?
No in all cases. When you charge, all your movement must be in a straight line (and in the same direction); any movement you make before a partial charge counts against you. You don't get a move-equivalent action plus a partial action as your turn. You get either a standard action (which does not allow a 5-foot step), a full-move action (which allows a 5-foot step if the action itself doesn't include movement), or a partial action (which also allows a 5-foot step if the action doesn't include movement).

Even if you could, I wouldn't allow it in my game anyway. Moving and then making a partial charge is equivalent to making a normal charge in that in both instances, you end up moving twice your base movement. But since you could move in one direction and then make a partial charge in another direction, it removes one of the restrictions of a charge. There wouldn't be any reason to do a normal charge.

You're also forgetting that you can't possibly have Spring Attack at 1st level. It has prerequisites of Dex 13+, Dodge, Mobility, and base attack bonus +4 or higher.

(BTW, the link in your sig is broken. Remove the second "http://" in the link.)

And one last thing... the Spellcheck button is there for a reason. *hint hint* ;)

Last edited:

Idayen Relanite

First Post
I don't ahve the book with power lunge, but was getting the informaton from someone else here. I didn't know you couldn't partail charge on choice. thank you for the information.

alaric

First Post
While technically you can't arbitrarily use a partial action, but you can set a readied action for something trivial ie "i charge as soon as he does something i don't like....oh, i don't like that". Standard/Partial/ME actions are something that just wasn't thought out well (either that, or very poorly explained) and it would be eaiser if they called them Simple and Complex, and you get one of each a round (</rant>).

Either way the point is moot, because even with a partial charge you have to have all movement in a straight line. So no run away then charge, and partial charge, or turn a corner and partial charge. You also cannot use Spring attack with a charge/partial charge because spring attack is it's own full round action.

Stalker0

Legend
I've noticed everyone gets really focused on this partial charge stuff, but they forget that charge is a STANDARD action.

Which means sure you can move and then charge, put if you move 30 feet then charge, you only have 30 feet left to move in your charge, you don't get double that.

Artoomis

First Post
Stalker0 said:
I've noticed everyone gets really focused on this partial charge stuff, but they forget that charge is a STANDARD action.

Which means sure you can move and then charge, put if you move 30 feet then charge, you only have 30 feet left to move in your charge, you don't get double that.

No, charge is a SPECIAL STANDARD ACTION. It's mechanics make it the same as a Full-Round Action, and, in fact, that's what they call it in the SRD.

All move during a charge must be in a straight line. So saying you can move and them charge is pretty meaningless - you move during the charge anyway, and all your move is in straight line.

In a non-hasted round, here's what you CAN do with Run and Haste.

1. You may Run.

____

OR

2. You may Charge.

_____

OR

_____

3. You may take a move with a "Ready" action readying to run or charge (you could probabaly be more generic than this - readying to move or attack instead or run or charge). Naturally, the conditions you use are governed by teh common sense of the DM (no - "if he breathes" kind of stuff)

AND

3. A. When your condition is met, take a Partial Run. By the strict rules, this could be in any direction. Most(?) folks think this could only be in the same straight line you started out with in the move from #3 above.

OR

3. B. When your condition is met, take a Partial Charge. By the strict rules, this could be in any direction. Most(?) folks think this could only be in the same straight line you started out with in the move from #3 above.

______

What I mean "by strict rules" above is that both the Run and Charge actions require that you move in a straight line when you are Running or Charging. Not for any or all movement in a round, only when you are Running or Charging.

Many folks have added in that all movement in the round (even if hasted) must also be in the same straight line.

Last edited:

Lord Ben

First Post
Not sure if this is the rules or not but I allow players and NPC's to do things like a move action behind a wall and then ready an action to attack the first person that follows them, partial charge if needed.

That's legal right?

Olorin

Into the West
Yes. You can do a standard action and move in a round, in any order. So they move, then ready an action, which is a standard action.

Perfectly legal and good tactics :)

Olorin

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Olorin said:
Yes. You can do a standard action and move in a round, in any order. So they move, then ready an action, which is a standard action.

Perfectly legal and good tactics :)

Olorin

It's not perfectly legal if the partial charge is in a different direction than the one they moved in. All movement before the charge has to be in a straight line. Otherwise, the straight line limitation on charge is meaningless.

Artoomis

First Post
Caliban said:

It's not perfectly legal if the partial charge is in a different direction than the one they moved in. All movement before the charge has to be in a straight line. Otherwise, the straight line limitation on charge is meaningless.

No, this would NOT make the charge limitation meaningless. You must still:

Have the conditions met for your Ready Action (a risk of gettin NO action). "Legal" conditions are obviously controlled by the DM, and should always have a risk of not happening (or else you are right, Caliban, the straight-line restriction would cease to have any meaning).

AND

The Partial Charge can only be in a straight line.

The rules themsleves NEVER state all your movement IN A ROUND must be in a straight line, only that your CHARGE must be in a straight line.

Nonetheless, I realize that I seem to be in the minority and most folks think that if you charge any time during a round than ALL your movement in that round must be in a single direction. That is decidedly NOT what the rules say, but that's what many believe is the right way to do it.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases