Playtesting?

The_Baldman

Explorer
Dragonblade said:
Thats all fine and good, but why is their grass always greener?? Must be the fertilizer or something.... ;)

because being part of the RPGA and being involved in their various campaigns and projects does get your more visibility with the powers that be. Your name becomes known as well as your skills. I joined the RPGA in 2000 a schmoo nobody that played a home game in 2.0 and ya that was about it. Now I run all their events at large shows (DDXP, Origins, Gencon), ran one of their campaigns for a few years, have multiple members of Wotc staff's phone numbers plugged into my phone and talk to them usually a few times a week and a few times a day at certain times of the year. So ya the RPGA has been awesome for me being a lot more involved with the hobby I love and getting to personally know and call friends a lot of people who make the hobby I love so much fun. It's not everybody's cup of tea but it's a great start at taking the game we love to the next level.

So for the guy wanting proof if I say something it's true. I always cannot go into great detail about things but when I said the RPGA handpicked all it's groups you can take that to the bank. Chris Tulach (RPGA Content Manager) has confirmed as much (and another person who started out in the RPGA ranks and now works for Wotc - along with at least a half-dozen more between Wotc and Paizo). I also agree that membership in the RPGA is not any kind of guarantee about the quality of player in any fashion. A random selection of RPGA members would be about the same as a random selection of non-RPGA players (maybe giving a slight edge to RPGA players as usually if you sign-up for the RPGA you play D&D a lot). Now what the RPGA does allow you to do is select from within that group a known type and quantity of players to meet what goal you have for the playtest. The RPGA makes those names picked to be known players by the Wotc staff as well. So if they want 10% powergaming junkie monkey's they can ask somebody they personally know to pick out X number of groups that fall into that category and the RPGA can make it happen. No manner of web surveys and questions can determine that from a random unknown group of players such as this list of the DDI membership. It can help narrow things down but in the end you don't know if you're getting a power gaming monkey supreme or a wanna-be splat book cowpoke.

Dave C

Henry

Autoexreginated
DonTadow said:
Moving to a side discussion then unless criticizing organizations run by moderators is completely banned?

No, but as PCat says, verbal shooting matches insulting other gamers is off-limits. Also, it's better form to email moderators or Admins when you have further questions. (Kev said "holla with questions," but what he really meant was, "email if you have questions about moderator decisions," but it gets tiring saying it the same way every time. :D)

So, if you have questions about what was said, if it's unclear, email him, me, or one of the other mods at the e-mail addresses given in Meta forum. Thanks.

HeinorNY

First Post
http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=13847110&postcount=25

"Chris Tulach (Grand High Mogul of the Steppes and RPGA honcho) and I were sharing a chuckle over barbecue yesterday. Some DDI folks say they wish the playtest selection process wasn't so random. And some RPGA members say they wish the playtest selection process was more random so everyone would get a chance. Turns out we can't win.

We have different dude-pickin' techniques for different kinds of playtests. Heck, sometimes it feels like we reinvent the wheel with each playtest push. There's a method to our madness, although I realize that's cold comfort to someone who's refreshing their mailbox every 30 seconds, waiting for an email that may not come. One thing that bears repeating: We're not saying you can't playtest. We're just saying "not yet."

FickleGM

Explorer
Well, I have reassessed my situation and if by some amazing luck I get an email, I will be declining. I hope that there are others who will do likewise, so that more committed people get to playtest 4e.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
*Sigh*

It looks like I missed the boat. The story of my life. So how exactly are/were we supposed to sign up to playtest? I've been keeping an eye on the D&D welcome page for the past couple of weeks, but apparently they hid the playtest info somewhere.

JDragon

Explorer
There was no sign up form.

IT appears they randomly have sent out invites to D&DI / Forum members to the email account attached to the username. I belive that was Wednesday.

JD

Remove ads