A 30th-level Party needs 50th-level Monsters...

Hey all! :)

I have been thinking about the dynamic between the new standard 5 member PC Party and the 4E Monster Manual.

Now according to what we know so far, a monster level is roughly equal to a PC level.

So if you have five 10th-level PCs a group of five 10th-level monsters will be a good encounter for them.

But what of (the now less likely, but still viable) PC Group vs. Individual monster encounters (such as the recent Dragon example).

Obviously such a group will need to tackle monsters of a higher level to provide the same sort of challenge.

So the first question is: Are there any monsters in the Monster Manual that would be individual encounters for a 30th-level PC Party?

The second question is: What level would they be?

From my experience, an individual monster (or NPC) +67% greater than the average of a five player party is needed to balance things out (against five PCs).

e.g. To challenge a party of five 20th-level PCs you could use five 20th-level monsters, but if you wanted to challenge them with a single monster, then such an encounter would require a 33rd-level monster/NPC.

Therefore I conclude that to offer individual monster challenges to a 30th-level party you will need a 50th-level monster.

I wonder if any of these will be provided in the Monster Manual, Orcus and the Tarrasque spring to mind. Or whether it will be suggested to stack classes on top of monsters?

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
Maybe a creature such as a dragon is considered its own party, in that a 20th level dragon is an appropriate challenges for a party of 20th level characters.

Hello Baby Samurai! :)

Baby Samurai said:
Maybe a creature such as a dragon is considered its own party, in that a 20th level dragon is an appropriate challenges for a party of 20th level characters.

So the system isn't even 'out the door' and already they are breaking it? I'm not sure I like the sound of that.

Jack99

Adventurer
Upper_Krust said:
From my experience, an individual monster (or NPC) +67% greater than the average of a five player party is needed to balance things out (against five PCs).

e.g. To challenge a party of five 20th-level PCs you could use five 20th-level monsters, but if you wanted to challenge them with a single monster, then such an encounter would require a 33rd-level monster/NPC.

Therefore I conclude that to offer individual monster challenges to a 30th-level party you will need a 50th-level monster.

These speculations are solely based on 3.5 CR rules, and thus invalid. There is no way to know how things work out in 4e. Yes, we know that 5 lvl 10 should have a good fight against 5 lvl 10 monsters. But that doesnt mean that difficulty scales nowhere the same way as in 3.5. Maybe all you need is a lvl 16 mob in order to challenge them.

Also, one more thing, do you really need a cr33 to challenge a group of 5 lvl 20 characters?

Sammael

Adventurer
Jack99 said:
Also, one more thing, do you really need a cr33 to challenge a group of 5 lvl 20 characters?
Depends on the group, and depends on the critter. My players aren't big min/maxers, and they seldom use a lot of tactics in their encounters, but their level 20 characters are able to take down CR 26 creatures with ease on a regular basis.

Jack99

Adventurer
Sammael said:
Depends on the group, and depends on the critter. My players aren't big min/maxers, and they seldom use a lot of tactics in their encounters, but their level 20 characters are able to take down CR 26 creatures with ease on a regular basis.

Wasnt a general inquiry, more a semi rhetorical question. But seeing the difference from my own games, there must be a world of difference between our players. Either yours are really good, or mine are really really bad. ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases