Best Forgotten Realms adventures.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Castle Spulzeer was actually quite a ride for my crew. They enjoyed going through it and I enjoyed running it.

Under Illefarn, when properly stripped of empty/filler rooms was awesome.

As an aside, throughout 2nd Edition, my FR campaign was peppered with generic adventures from Dungeon Magazine, and my best memories seem to be from those! Also, the "Sword of the Dales" trilogy of modules for 2nd Edition are cringingly gawd-awful, beware.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
DM_Jeff said:
Under Illefarn, when properly stripped of empty/filler rooms was awesome.

Agreed. I used this module as the foundation for my old 2e FR game. What's great about it is that it is a mini-campaign setting, plus it has three adventures (though the last one in Illefarn proper had some problems, IIRC). Lots of personalities, shops in town, etc. Everything you need to run a Daggerford campaign.

It's my love of Daggerford that prompted me to buy The North boxed set. Mostly the same info, but some updates and more info on the militia.

TavernBrawler

First Post
I have all of those. I have noticed a lack of non-Zhent Moonsea adventures.

I had thought of using Phlan as a good base to launch adventures from.

Any good Moonsea adventures?

DM_Jeff

Explorer
TavernBrawler said:
I have all of those. I have noticed a lack of non-Zhent Moonsea adventures. I had thought of using Phlan as a good base to launch adventures from. Any good Moonsea adventures?

Well, my original response was about Mysteries of the Moonsea, but that's 3.5. It has been fueling a campaign i started in January of thei year and we're just over half way through, I am certainly getting my money's worth out of this one, and the players love it.

-DM Jeff

BlackMoria

First Post
Originally Posted by TavernBrawler
I have all of those. I have noticed a lack of non-Zhent Moonsea adventures. I had thought of using Phlan as a good base to launch adventures from. Any good Moonsea adventures?

Curse of the Azure Bonds

I liked it but given the nature of the 'Azure Bonds' compulsions and the initial setup, it wasn't liked by some players because you got locked into the railroad car on one big railroad of an adventure. If you can look past that, it isn't a bad adventure as it starts you in Tilverton and runs you around the Moonsea with sub-adventures in Hap (Battledale), Zhentil Keep, Yulash and Myth Drannor.

Ruins of Adventure

Adventure set in Phlan so if you are using Phlan as a base and you are using 1e / 2e, this is a must have as it has the most information on Phlan.

drscott46

First Post
Gotta mention the original Ruins of Undermountain boxed set. Yeah, I've seen some people on here complain how many of the rooms are empty, but that also makes it customizable. The designed rooms are generally pretty great. There's also enough background for an entire campaign to be set in Waterdeep/Undermountain, and plenty of further info on Waterdeep in other products.

Ruins of Adventure is very 1e-ish- little background, lots of areas with minimal story. I personally don't care for these, but that's my style bias. To my knowledge, Phlan was pretty much ignored after the RoA/Pool of Radiance CRPG was published, so if you're creating a lot of your own background, it's not a bad place to add homebrew to existing stuff. (Contrast that with the Heartlands, which have received a ton of canon-changing events through sourcebooks and novels.)

It is my opinion, however, that Curse of the Azure Bonds is an excellent module. There is some railroad, but it's certainly not as bad as, say, the Avatar Trilogy (which not only forces a single course of action but also treats the players as accessories/gofers in a conflict largely fought between gods and powerful NPCs).

My old 2e Forgotten Realms campaign also used mostly Dungeon Magazine adventures prior to my acquisition of the Undermountain box.

TavernBrawler

First Post
DM_Jeff said:
Well, my original response was about Mysteries of the Moonsea, but that's 3.5. It has been fueling a campaign i started in January of thei year and we're just over half way through, I am certainly getting my money's worth out of this one, and the players love it.

-DM Jeff

Good call, did not think to mine MooM for the information. Have not looked at it since I got it.

Treebore

First Post
Yeah, I liked Curse of the Azure bonds. Plus it wasn't railroading, it was blatant manipulation by powers far greater than mine.

Just be careful, I had to write up a new character because my cleric refused to do what was demanded of him by the "curse", so rather than violate the tenets of his god, I had him suicide. Blew my DM and groups minds, but I actually thought it was pretty cool to have a character I was having a blast playing stay so committed to his god. Its one of the coolest characters I have ever played, and considering how rarely I like clerics, thats saying something for me. So not only was he cool to play, I also think its very cool how he died, dedicated to his god, rather than valuing his own life more.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Ruins of Undermountain. Yeah, there was lots of empty space, but the filled-in bits were top-notch, and the empty bits were filled in soon enough. Good stuff.

Curse of the Azure Bonds. Best 2e FR adventure out there, imho. Inspired way to include railroading and not make it suck. So long as you handled it right, the players would buy into it and have a ball. Some great locations and excellent scenes (Zhentil Keep, where the beholder comes through the wall - priceless!)

Ruins of Adventure was good once you had kitbashed it into shape. Straight out of the book I found it very poor indeed, though. Got a great deal of use out of it, though, once I had customised it.

(A while ago I was doing a series of threads on folks' experience with 2e-era adventures, including some from the FR, but I lost interest about halfway through, lol. I'm fickle like that...)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases