What's the real reason we RP?

Velira Evangeline

Banned
Banned
Have you ever set down and actually thought about why you roleplay? Is it a hobby, a game, something to just pass time or is there a passion that drives us to create the best and most enjoyable storyline we can? Through all the hours we spend developing and designing our characters, did we ever imagine that it would get this big? I have created this thread in hopes that fellow players of the ISRP would share their reasonings and feelings behind why they roleplay. To begin, I will share mine.

When I first started back in 2000, it was an on and off ordeal. I only played when I had time and only because it was something to do. I started off using Nioki on the Wizards site, then as time went on key players that I know today came into the picture. I met Thunder soon after I began using Lain. Then after that I met Tabita. By then it had become something I enjoyed to do. Roleplaying was a great bit of fun for me, and I was on often. But as time went on, I became too emotionally entwined in my characters and their storylines. So the reasoning had left me to RP. I took a break and now I have a new reason to RP. Throughout all my experiences on ISRP there was one person who was always there to help me out. I knew I could turn to him. Some of you know him as Tabita, others as Arlian. He taught me alot about the roleplaying world, alot I still remember today. So now the reasoning for me roleplaying in this present time, besides the fact that I simply love it, is that one day I might make that person proud. I know, it is silly, but that is one of the reasons I roleplay now. That person, in a way, is my hero and it is an honor everytime I get to interact with one of his characters.

Tabster, if you are somewhere reading this, know you are missed. Not just by Lainy the char but by the player as well. Hope to see you soon.

Last edited:

Ruthia

First Post
Reason I RP?

Well at first with my very first character, who was known then as Ruth_the_White...Now known as Ruthia, honestly it was a way to relax and pass time while I was home sick pregnant and raising my daughter who was barely one at the time. Ruthia was, in all honesty, a writen character who I had made many stories about by that time. So for me taking her out to meet people was a natural extentsion of my imagination. As time rolled on I found the ISRP Roleplay lost a bit of flavor to me, I was never sure why but it was back in the waning days of Wizo Bailey and Reese. Instead of taking a full break, because I loved writing, I turned to Boards RPing and became a real mover on the MoP ((Map of the Planes for those who don't know the WIzards Boards)). It was there I meet up with the likes of Khaira, Agudo the Archmage of Light, Drindin, Gene Kynes, Kulideb, Myranthor.....many of whom I still count as friends today. My rping there gave me a reason to stop coming into chat..as boards rping is a slower pace and allowed me to still rp without cutting away time from my busy life as I mom.

Then I read about the possibly and up coming move of the place I had started in, ISRP. At that point in time I was going through a massive depression and really needed something to sink into, to take my mind of it. So out of retirement came Ruthia, with a brand new bag of problems and ready to roll. Funny thing was my little brother was going through a depression at the same time. So he joined me becoming my Ruthia's main enemy and her "father" at the same time, Beljames/Guardian James. After that the two of us got emersed in this world known as ISRP, sticking with it through the moves and the conflicts...and yes even through the large groups of you who groan unhappily every time you see me on line :p Durning this trade over time I meet new people...people who wanted to add to the crazy storyline known as Ruthia's life. Khaira, who's player is a great person who has stuck with me through thick and thin since day one, followed me over and reammerged a changed character as well. Imreis, who next to Khaira is my Favorite Player, started getting caught up in my storyline and working it to it's completion. Other players..Maril, Alana, Lince'sa, Keon, Constiantine, Kitheryn, Skylyne, Oriza.....each added thier own mark to my storyline. These players created a draw, pulling me back day after day after day. Making me WANT to find out what happened next to my story..wanting to SEE what twist thier actions would make me add.

And on the days where my storyline felt dull, drab.....Gods the rest of you are a BLAST to watch. I find on days where I am my most down, my most depressed, watching the rest of you RP would make me smile. I admitt..a lot of times now if my character is in it's only because I'm watching somone else. People like Sienna, Bhryn, Jeajea, Elf Ariel, Lord Vincent, Nicoles, and countless others to nurmous to name have kept me wanting to see more for a long time now.

hrm.......That was long winded :heh: I don't write long winded very often. So...Why do I RP? Because of all you. YOU keep me coming back and enjoying my break from the realities of being a jobless stay home mom of three kids and little money, who barely gets to see her husband because he works 60/80 hours a week.

YOU make it enjoyable and fun....even those of you who don't like me OR my characters.....and I thank you for that.

Last edited:

Kallikrates

First Post
The comments above highlight why I am still drawn here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An excellent question, one that is worth a long winded explanation.

I began to add my craziness in June of 2004 with Gamashinoch who was Panagiotis who is dead. RIP and all that.

I was led to Wizards by a book which is where I got 'Gamashinoch' from.
But when I joined I never would have thought what would happen in the future.
Well the future from the 2004 standpoint. But anyways it amazes me that I ended up having several friends from Wizards and here at Enworld. Some though have disappeared in the hectic situations of life and I hope that they are doing well in whatever endeavors they seek out.

Throughout the three years, minus the times I went internetless, I have smiled, laughed, been confused, irritated, annoyed, and down right stupefied.
But that's just me! :p

Seriously, I've enjoyed my short three year term here on ISRP.

Through those I have no clue of their whereabouts, to those I am in constant communication with, and all the rest.

May we continue to RP to our heart's content through each of our characters unique storylines be it hate, love, war, betrayal, seduction, or deception.

All in all.....
let's just have fun.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The comments below highlight why I am still drawn here.

Last edited:

Alana

First Post
Escape... plain and simple. I have a lot of stressors in my life, and have always, in a way, been making up stories in my head. What beeter way to escape the doldrums of life than to lose yourself in an alternate reality?

Of course, lately it seems my self-pitying, loathing personality has started to infest my characters, even though I don't mean for it to happen... I'm still searching for a way to fix this, but it's difficult. I sometimes wonder if it's simply that when I have a character that's upset, I get upset too... and it's better to feel something than nothing, right? I think my meds might need adjustment ^^;;

Akea

First Post
I have many reasons, oh yes. My first character that I played was... Skyshadow6? lol, what a noob. Anyway, my friend led me to it, and she has since departed from ISRP and left me for several years to grow into a community that I just can't live without. I know, I've tried. Been playing since I was 12, and I'm 19 now, >.<. I suddenly feel a little ancient.

My utmost reasoning for staying and roleplaying is definitely the new people I get to meet every day and the friendship that holds us together as a family. Ruthia said it best, love you dear. Through my history, though, I am most grateful to have come across the first best friend in my entire life that is worth sticking through everything with, because he'll put up with my constant B.S. Hehe, you all know him as Nicholaus Dennoncourt, and let me tell you, there's not another like him. I've also met another that really puts up with me, and that I look forward to seeing every day. He's probably the most hilarious and interesting person I've ever met, and he's allowed me to advance in my RP'ing, joining games and adding my two cents about things. Jeajea, you've made rp'ing fun for me 'n worth coming back every day!

The thank yous go out to everyone, but I thought I'd mention how awesome those two were. :)

Velira Evangeline

Banned
Banned
Alana said:
I sometimes wonder if it's simply that when I have a character that's upset, I get upset too... and it's better to feel something than nothing, right? I think my meds might need adjustment ^^;;

I went through the same thing before I took my break. i found myself feeling what my characters were feeling and at first I wasn't sure if it was the way to go about it. Because if that happens, then they would react the way I would as myself. I wanted them to react like they would. i try to let my characters play me, instead of me playing them. It sounds odd, but it works the majority of the time.

Bari

First Post
I started to RP after my brother took me to watch the first LotR movie. I was instantly hooked with the fantasy thing and then he game a huge box full of fantasy books, writings, articles, and paper stuff. Among them was an old D&D Basic Set, complete with his campaigns, homebrews, annotations... I so fell in love with the whole RPing thing. Then I realized there was absolutely nobody here that even heard about it. So I basically started browsing on the internet until I found the ISRP on Wizards, and after majorly screwing up there (interrupting all the games... curious I never got banned or kicked) I kinda left it. But I always wanted to RP and eventually I found this. So the reason I RP here is because I simply love fantasy and RPing and this is the only place I know for it :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases