What's the real reason we RP?

Lace_Letharia

First Post
Why FIRST came to the ISRP. Way back after reading the LOTR (book) set, and then came across the Dragonlance Chronicles, Tanis Half-Elven, Sturm Brightbalde, Raistlin Majere, Tasslehoff Burrfoot, Flint Fireforge, and being a very young impressionable mind with all the curiousity and imagination of a child, it opened up a whole new world.

Netscape search engines I think brought me to find TSR way back in the day, and I used to lurk in the chat room to see how things were played out. The lurking didn't last long, maybe an hour here, an hour there for a few days before a character would form. Unfortunately I didn't have the D&D background that a lot of well known characters have, but thats what made it so great. It was the freedom of thought, it was the freedom of expression, it was the freedom to see how creative your character could get. I absolutely loved that.

I loved how certain characters would have their own signature thing, some cracked knuckles, some carried dressing rooms with them behind them, well not quite, but almost. Others had daggers flying into rooms as their entrance. Everyone likes to be able to put their stamp somewhere. And what the CRT allowed all so many years ago and through the years with its various hats has been a place to allow each of us to do just that.

In all of our minds, we each have characters we will never forget. Some much like the bargolem, foodgolem become imprinted onto our mind and never forgotten. I enjoyed the open door policy, the welcoming atmosphere, the friendly if sometimes misbegotten company to be had within the CRT environment. I've enjoyed the ability to turn the leaf over, on what could be a very normal, non creative lifestyle, just to see whats on the other side.

Thats what happens when you allow your creativity freedom.

That's not the only reason, but its the friendships that develop. Yes we all have I'm sure experienced the getting too attached to your character thing that can occur. Everyone has a spill once in awhile. What matters though is who's there to pick you up afterwards. Over the years I've gained quite a few friends from the CRT setting, IC/OOC wise both.

So mainly, the opportunity to let the creative juices flow, and also the friends you come back to wave at, even electronically, it still feels good.

Its a sad thing when people lose sight of that, but you know what. I'll still be there with a friendly smile, and a hand up at the end of the day. Its THAT, and others with the same outlook, that make me venture back.

Willow_Calypso

First Post
Khaira said:
Yes. Although if you expect me to remember said name, I shall point, laugh, and call you silly. ;)

... egads, that was a long time ago...

Essie, I think. All I remember is she lived with Reno & Willow for ages. Caused a lot of trouble. ;D

Sienna_Rose

First Post
What started me RPing? Just how far back do I want to go? Gads. The first book I ever read cover to cover was "Flutterby", which was about a winged horse, who emerged from a cacoon.

What officially got me role playing was a friend of mine in a high school theatre class who said "You like theatre, you'll like D&D, come join us." And, one of her players (yes, a female DM, back in the 80's, believe it or not - our group was all girls for a time), who was going to be missing a game was willing to let me take over her character for one game. That way, I wouldn't have to invest the time to create a character if I didn't like the game. As I mentioned, that was in the 80's. . . let's see... maybe 88. And here I am, still playing. Guess I liked it, eh?

As far as on line gaming. . .while I was in college and addicted to IRC, typing away in a VAX lab. . .I accidently created a freeform role play room. Honestly, I didn't mean too. I just thought #dragonsinn was a cool name. Who knew people would come in and be in character?? :D It was a blast. So, that was. . I don't know, maybe '92? No clue.

I stumbled into wizards.com at some point after my college built a shiny new computer lab that replaced the VAX and had real internet access. I know it was prior to '98, 'cause '98 is when I moved to TX and I know I was playing there for at least 2 years before that. . hrrmm. .
There have been a lot of changes through the years, and I've skipped years due to lack of access, but, here I am. Why? All this rambling and I haven't really answered that, have I?
Dozens of people in my head who need out? Yeah. . .
Friends? Yep. . .
Insanity? Most definately. ;)

Ah, my first days of RPing was last Spring...where I introduced my favorite character, but a character that seemed to be hated ISRP-wide. Sir Dieterich. Though he started off actually giggling once...(I was quickly corrected), I rapidly learned the ways of roleplaying through the experience of everyone around me. Itzquahpilli's player introduced me to the site and sat down beside me, explaining how it worked as I worked my way into the garden to eventually come into a snowball fight with Amaya. After that, I quickly learned how to roleplay, at least sufficiently, and made several friends, most of which I'm happy for. That's the main reason I roleplay now...friends and meeting new people, for I do not enjoy roleplaying as much as I once did. Thanks, for all of that...after all, sitting in my college dorm for the first night today, a freshman in the Psychology major, I never would have made it here without a few of you. For a select number of you were the ones that pointed out that I should go to college in this major, and I took your advice. And now, here I sit...let's see if I carry it through.
John

Last edited:

Kallikrates

First Post
You may have long road ahead of you my friend, but that's life.
We must take the challenges and adversities in stride.

*cough*
Ignore those sentiments....it's unlike me! :p
But I too and struggling from lack of time, my Associate Degree is almost within my grasp. Does schooling never end? Wait....I chose computers.....
*points at himself* You IDIOT! :D :p :D

Onward with the lovely replies. -_-

Dontella

First Post
Babylon Logos said... My brother introduced me to Donny, which got me haranged into this and that, and so on and so forth.

Whatever it is I didn't do it?

Why do I RP? For the Fun.

It allows me to be anything I want for a little while.. and no one minds, because they get to do the same. And it merges and meshes and becomes a lovely interweave of tales and stories.. and in the end it can lead to good friends.

And that, is the best part of all.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases