Printing Large Maps (GenCon Vendor)

Kryndal Levik

First Post
I talked to a gentleman at GenCon (I think he was at the GM Syndicate booth) that specialized in printing large battle maps at affordable prices. He gave me a card, but I seem to have lost it on the way back. Does anyone know the website (or know of options to print large maps)? Thanks in advance.

GentleGiant

Explorer
Kryndal Levik said:
I talked to a gentleman at GenCon (I think he was at the GM Syndicate booth) that specialized in printing large battle maps at affordable prices. He gave me a card, but I seem to have lost it on the way back. Does anyone know the website (or know of options to print large maps)? Thanks in advance.
I don't know if this is the company in question, but they do print large maps:
http://www.gamer-printshop.com/

Kryndal Levik

First Post
Thanks, guys- I'm not sure that this is the same company (as the individual in the booth was talking about different prices than those on this site, if I recall correctly), but this is a good place to start in any case. :)

Kryndal Levik

First Post
darkhall-nestor said:
most kinkos, instaprint etc. have large format injet printers and laminators

Yes- but in most cases they're prohibitively expensive (especially if you're printing multiple, or large, maps). If I recall correctly, the guy at GenCon indicated that he printed large (can't remember the size) color battle maps and laminated them for $17-18; you'd be hard-pressed to get anything even close to that at a Kinko's.

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Indeed, the quote I got at my local Kinko's last month for a 5-foot length (60") of the widest sheet they can print on (42") was $122. Four-color process (so an inkjet, most likely), reasonably heavy-duty paper, no lamination, done on-site (no delivery).

Kryndal Levik said:
Yes- but in most cases they're prohibitively expensive (especially if you're printing multiple, or large, maps). If I recall correctly, the guy at GenCon indicated that he printed large (can't remember the size) color battle maps and laminated them for $17-18; you'd be hard-pressed to get anything even close to that at a Kinko's.

that is realy inexpensive

A 50” wide roll of coated gloss can sell for as much as $300 not to mention Ink packs for $200 a pop some printers use as many as 12 colors CMYK LC LM MC MM OGB spot

Printers them selves are at least $10,000 for an entry level model

So what’s the catch?

Kryndal Levik

First Post
darkhall-nestor said:
that is realy inexpensive

A 50” wide roll of coated gloss can sell for as much as $300 not to mention Ink packs for $200 a pop some printers use as many as 12 colors CMYK LC LM MC MM OGB spot

Printers them selves are at least $10,000 for an entry level model

So what’s the catch?

I don't know that there's a catch with any of these vendors. In most cases, it seems like they have another "normal" printing business, and do the RPG printing on the side. The quality I've seen so far has been as good as anything I've seen from Kinko's or other local printers.

Aristotle

First Post
Neat. tagging this thread as I may just need this service eventually.

I've been looking for an affordable printer who can print a poster sized map to cloth. The cloth map that came with the original Dark Sun boxed set has long been a favorite gaming accessory of mine. I was hoping to replicate it for my own campaign setting. So far my best option has been portrait studios that print digital photos to streatched canvas, but it's a bit expensive.

Remove ads