Allow PL 8 characters to upgrade to PL 10

Asmor

First Post
I hope this is allowed, I don't recall seeing any restrictions on who can put forth proposals... Apologies if it isn't allowed.

Anyways, my idea is this: If someone has a PL 8 character but not a PL 10 character, allow them to upgrade their PL 8 to PL 10 and add 30 PP to it. Due to the magnitude of the increase, the upgrade may only occur between missions, not during a mission if a GM awards PP. The character is treated in all ways as if it were always a PL 10; these extra 30 PP are not counted as being awarded, and the player may only make his second character a PL 8.

The idea of this being that someone can test the water with a character concept and then, if they decide they really like it, they can upgrade it into their main character.

Bront

The man with the probe
I'm not against it other than the fact that suddently getting 30 points and 2 PL increase in an experienced character would be... odd.

Salix

First Post
Power boosts happen a lot in comics. I'm not necessarily opposed, but would like to hear more opinions.

Asmor

First Post
I understand that the power jump is rather jarring, which is why I have the line about it only being allowed between missions. Realistically, I don't think it's that big of a deal... Between missions actually means several months...

For example, I just got done with my character's first mission. In game, we played for, I think 1 day; IRL, it took over 7 months. Even if I jumped into my next mission today, I'd only have missed one day of actual playing, but in character it will have been 7 months since my last mission. A lot can happen in 7 months, no? Particularly when the training facilities of the Resolutes are made available to you.

rgordona

Explorer
Personally I can see nothing wrong with this idea. Sounds very sensible.

A player could have just retired their PL8 and created a PL10 with the same powerset and a slightly differnt name anyway, this just makes it transparent that the PL8 has progressed somehow, (injected himself with Archer's IV like a complete idiot perhaps). Better for character development and no different to what could already be done mechanically. (Well not very different)

rgordona

Explorer
YES

I can't see anything contentious here.

[Sblock]Bounce this one to the top as its not on the list of proposals in general discussion [/sblock]

hero4hire

Explorer
I have no problem with A Player retiring thier PL8 character and resubmitting it as thier PL 10 character.

Last edited:

rgordona

Explorer
This is slightly different I think. If the PL 8 has been on three missions and then the player decides to upgrade them to 10 they will keep all their earned PP: if they retire and resubmit they will not.

(Also retirement and resubmission is different from an RP standpoint. If you just up grade it is reasonable to say "Remember when we worked together against Mr X, lets use that plan again.")

I assume that the extra 30 point version would still need to be approved, just as the development from earned pp needs to be approved.

Remove ads