Discussion - LEW 4th Edition

Wik

First Post
If we do that, of course, one of the small towns in the barony should be named Threshhold. Because, well, that'd be awesome.

Knight Otu

First Post
I guess we'll see about that soonishly. We may want to think about preparing a few poll options in a bit for polls on world basics and "home base" basics so that we have some ground when we can get ready to get to worldbuilding. Nothing fancy yet, though.
I'm warming up to the idea of a "fourth age," as it allows something that I consider essential - to give this Living Game a name other than "Living Enworld 4th Edition." Since it will be a separate beast in all likelyhood, it should not have a name that implies a connection that doesn't exist. A "Living Fourth Age" or something to that effect would do that.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Yep. Personally, I'd rather not be extreme in the points-of-lightish aspect because I think that it is rather lame and stifles creativity. It is very easy to find darkness and cool-to-explore adventure areas even if you have a pretty substantial amount of civilisation. But if you say emphatically that there cannot be any civilisation beyond some decapitated barony that somehow exists in a void, you not only have a silly economic/social/cultural/political system, but you have forced the hands of future creators in a way that you haven't the other way, if that makes any sense.

To think of it another way--in an adventure, it is easy to have dark magic engulf a town or city in darkness and evil. And that can be cool. But you can't really have a city just randomly appear, especially when you've specified that the area is not allowed to have a city there.

IMO, a good campaign setting is never exactly 'points of light', per se, so much as pools of light and darkness. Points of light gives you the silly 'the PCs are the only things here because I am too lazy to design anything other than what is right around them and don't want a believable economic/social/cultural/political system for the rest of the world.

Wik

First Post
Knight Otu said:
I guess we'll see about that soonishly. We may want to think about preparing a few poll options in a bit for polls on world basics and "home base" basics so that we have some ground when we can get ready to get to worldbuilding. Nothing fancy yet, though.
I'm warming up to the idea of a "fourth age," as it allows something that I consider essential - to give this Living Game a name other than "Living Enworld 4th Edition." Since it will be a separate beast in all likelyhood, it should not have a name that implies a connection that doesn't exist. A "Living Fourth Age" or something to that effect would do that.

Regarding Poll Options:

I mentioned earlier about judges. Essentially, everyone that wanted to be a part of the world-building process would "campaign", saying "I want to make this, this, and this part of the world". And judges would be voted for. Top five get a spot on a worldbuilding board.

I also like the idea of voting for some of the core ideas of the setting. Namely, world shape (continent, archipelego, Aegean/Carribean model?), Religion (many, many gods; LEW style religion; small pantheon; one god), nations (one empire; many empires; kingdoms; pure "points of light") and so on.

The problem with "fourth age" as a total titel, though, is that it relates to dragonlance. I was just suggesting the title to be cheeky. But, I guess it'd work.

And, while it may break the heavens, I agree fully with RA regarding "points of light".

Creamsteak

Explorer
Some people might dislike this idea, but just to point out another option:

You could also rename LEW (the 3e one). This could be either at the same time, in addition, or instead.

Knight Otu

First Post
That would work as well, since my point is that the games shouldn't share names or sound strongly related if they aren't, though I don't see much of a reason to rename the original because of a new setting.
Also, I'm not saying we should use the 4th Age thing - it is simply one of the possible ways to make sure that the setting can have a new name.
I think the first few polls should be on basic world shape, world features (Sea/Wilderness as a transitive plane), home area shape (i.e. Greek vs Caribean model), and home area features (portals). The features should wait after the shapes, though, unless they are generic enough, since they might end up problematic within the rules. There are admittedly overlaps between shape and features that aren't easily separated, though I think it could work.

Wik

First Post
Sounds good to me.

Some big questions that need to be asked:

1) is it just going to be SRD, or will it incorporate wotc products? (ie do we do what LEW does, or LEB?)

2) how many judges?

3) Is it just going to be a PbP, or will we incorporate D&D Insider somehow? (the table idea, for example)

4) World Shape is a big one that informs much of the setting

5) I think KO Mentioned many of the big questions that could be answered right now, withiout screwing things up down the road.

Remove ads