Discussion - LEW 4th Edition

Knight Otu

First Post
I'm in the process of whipping up a few polls. I don't have the books yet, so here's a quick question - I know that the DMG contains a sample town (Fallcrest). Is my understanding correct that there is a short description of the surrounding Nentir Vale as well, and if so, how long is it? Is there a map?

Velmont

First Post
A 24 pages description of Fallcrest.

One chapter (8 pages) on Fallcrest and a map of the city. One chapter (4 pages) on Nentir Vale with a map of it. One chapter on the Kobold Hall, most probaly an adventure in it, around 10 pages. I didn't read it in cas emy master want to play that advnture as our first game is in Fallcrest.

B4cchus

Explorer
Hi all,

is it possible in a legal sense to use Fallcrest in an online game? Apart from using the description tha map may pose a problem? I'd even go as far as contacting WOTC customer service with this question. Any thoughts on this?

The Goblin King

First Post
B4cchus said:
Hi all,

is it possible in a legal sense to use Fallcrest in an online game? Apart from using the description tha map may pose a problem? I'd even go as far as contacting WOTC customer service with this question. Any thoughts on this?

I have not seen the new SRD but you are probably right in that it would be closed content. Still, I doubt that making up our own town would be difficult.

EDIT: hurm. I just saw the hullabaloo about the GSL.

Looks like we can't use the default pantheon either. They have taken out all the names and replaced them with stuff like Orc Eye of the Orc God.

It would seem to me that the idea of "Use only whats in the SRD" is now dead.

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
The Goblin King said:
It would seem to me that the idea of "Use only whats in the SRD" is now dead.
That idea had been dead for a while, really, since the general idea behind the SRD use was that every player is on the same page, and it's been known a while that the SRD would only be a reference document rather than a rules excerpt.

A Living 4E setting should be good to use the core pantheon, and maybe Fallcrest and the Nentir Vale. It wouldn't really be releasing anything under the GSL, and hopefully falls under fansite policies. Of course, these policies aren't yet known.

covaithe

Explorer
I can't imagine we'd get in any trouble just for playing a game set in a proprietary world, any more than a Curse of the Crimson Throne PbP gets in trouble for playing in Korvosa. The problem for us would be that we'd either have to require every player to have access to the 4e PHB (which I'm sure WOTC wouldn't object to) or publish a L4W player's guide to Fallcrest, which is a lot shakier legal ground.

Has Living Eberron had any whiff of legal trouble?

Remove ads