Discussion - LEW 4th Edition

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Simple enough! Can we clarify exactly what we mean by "Yes" and "No"?

Something like...

Yes - L4W will use the setting material provided in the core books as is, including deities and the starting area of Fallcrest in Nentir Vale. This core information will not be available on the wiki or the L4W PDF, but everything else will be.

No - We will do... something else, to be determined based on community reactions to other polls.

Yes, but with our own starting vale - The deities and other generic setting information will be straight from the core books, but we will develop our own starting city and area, based on community reactions to other polls. All non-GSL information will be available on the wiki/PDF.

---

I've made a page at the ENWiki for the polls. Please add/remove/comment/whatever as you like.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
If we have a consensus that this is a good first vote, then yeah! Let's vote!

Thanks for linking the wiki Phoenix (I meant to do that... =P ). So go look at that first poll, and if we think it's satisfactory, let's do it. I believe anyone can make a poll (though I've never done it myself). Someone can post in the Talking the Talk thread, and we can link it from Gen. Disc. threads in the living worlds. Also in the RDI, I think, since some players don't check the Gen. Disc. thread frequently. And maybe in adventure threads, too. If you have a character/are a DM, maybe drop a link to the vote.

I vote YES to posting the poll as it currently stands. Let's get the ball rolling.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Again, the question of where are we posting this poll? In Talking the Talk, with a link back to the LEW Discussion thread to attract people from there?

Phoenix8008

First Post
So, are we just wanting this first question for the poll then?

Should L4W use the assumed D&D setting?

Yes - L4W will use the setting material provided in the core books as is, including deities and the starting area of Fallcrest in Nentir Vale. This core information will not be available on the wiki or the L4W PDF, but everything else will be.

No - We will do... something else, to be determined based on community reactions to other polls.

Yes, but with our own starting vale - The deities and other generic setting information will be straight from the core books, but we will develop our own starting city and area, based on community reactions to other polls. All non-GSL information will be available on the wiki/PDF.

If so, I vote YES to posting the above as a poll in a seperate thread in the 'Talking the Talk' forum with links to draw voters.

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
ENWorld's 4th Edition Living World (sample post)

This is the first in a series of polls regarding the creation of a new PbP ENWorld Living World, using the new 4th Edition rules. If you are not familiar with the idea of a PbP Living World, check out the already created (and highly active) Living ENWorld, Living Eberron, and Living Superheroes.

The possibility of a new Living World using 4th Edition rules (L4W, for short) has been discussed extensively in this thread. If you are interested in playing in L4W, please vote here and consider joining the discussion.

This first poll will get the ball rolling by getting a feel for how much homebrew setting content we want in L4W. The setting of Living ENWorld (LEW) is completely homebrew, while Living Eberron's (LEB) is mostly from the Eberron Campaign Setting book. Both living worlds are active and successful.

Should L4W use the assumed D&D setting?
  • No.
  • Yes.
  • Yes. But create our own starting vale.

No - We will do... something else, to be determined based on community reactions to other polls. (See the L4W wiki page for some potential polls.)

Graf

Explorer
I don't know if this is appropriate, but I thought I'd toss an idea out.

I realize the concept may be hard to follow, but I wanted to make it generic (using terms like "zones" instead of "spheres" or "planes).

The core DMs (Judges?) could build an overarching plot of epic scope, while allowing individual DMs to contribute quirky (or traditional) games without worrying too much about "how does this country/dungeon exist next to that one".

I'm obsessively detail oriented though, so maybe most people don't care so much...

Graf

Explorer
Skimmed the thread. Thought i'd pull out a few points.

Given that in our experience with LEW & LEB, active judges are in shortest supply, we might try a simpler approach with L4W. Players are rarely a problem. DMs, even seem fairly pletniful. But finding judges willing to create maps, update rules logs, analyze & vote wisely on suggestions, etc, is difficult.

I wonder if it would be worth taking steps to keep this next world low-maintenance.
If this is a problem, why not build a setting that doesn't have a map, or where you don't need to worry, as much, about maintenance.

Yeah. I'm thinking we could get experienced GMs to run some mutually-agreed upon metaplots, to keep things interesting, and individual GMs could run their own metaplots.
Or you could chop the zones up. One (or several) zones are involved in a war, but they don't touch the other zones.

It's somewhat difficult to split up the ideas into polls, as they're very interrelated. I tried to keep the polls unbiased and all inclusive, so now I'll voice some opinions.

Regarding world building, it should be up to the community. We've got some great thinkers, and some neat ideas, and I do have opinions. But ultimately I think the community should choose.
Or build a system where the community doesn't have to pick and choose ideas.

Your average player is probably fairly tolerant about what setting their character winds up in.

Anyway, I'd just like to see the community do more and the judges do less. Not just from an administrative perspective, but also from a "building a functioning world together" perspective.
If you've got a setting that incorporates a lot of zones then players can make up their own little mini-zone where their character hails from. They can add to the backstory without worrying too much about how it would impact reality.

Maybe they want to come from a world dominated by a horrible overwhelming evil? Easy to do. That's just their zone, which is properly isolated from the rest of the setting (and nobody needs to worry about how it interrelates with the rest of the back story unless they want to).

And, If that player wants to step up and DM then they have a read-made area of expertise they can tap into (their own little zone).

I'll stop tooting.

[sblock=In the interest of full disclosure]I blogged about this thread. It's not an interesting post, particularly.[/sblock]

Remove ads