Monster Request Thread!!!

dante58701

Banned
Banned
This is a thread for monster designers and monster requesters to get together and create new monsters using The Immortal's Handbook rules.

To start this off I would like to request a True Dragon.

Preferably with loads and loads of nasty physical attacks that would put a fang dragon to shame, as well as the typical sorcery, and the ability to survive on the moon.

Hey dante mate! :)

dante58701 said:
This is a thread for monster designers and monster requesters to get together and create new monsters using The Immortal's Handbook rules.

To start this off I would like to request a True Dragon.

Preferably with loads and loads of nasty physical attacks that would put a fang dragon to shame, as well as the typical sorcery, and the ability to survive on the moon.

What do you mean by a true dragon? I get the impression its a sort of generic fantasy green dragon with flaming breath. Also true dragon implies a non-epic dragon.

Your reference to the Moon recalls that the Lunar Dragon will be in the Gods & Monsters supplement.

As for loads of nasty physical attacks, I have been thinking about something tentatively called a Blade Dragon, a very angular monstrousity whose scales grow into sharp protrusions. One of its special attacks could be that it can cause these shards to explode outwards from its body.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Im interested in a non epic dragon using your rules. Ive seen loads of epic dragons, but I want to see how one would turn out using your rules for non epic.

Plus...a full advanced non epic dragon species would certainly be epic.

Id love to see one done properly.

Well, maybe two...if someone wants to do the stereotypical green scaled firebreather It would certainly be a classic.

I'm in the process of statting out the 16 Colossi from Shadow of the Colossus (as Magical Beasts instead of Constructs, since they seem to have physiologies and are made of flesh and bone) but I'm having difficulty calculating their HD.

In the attached picture, the tiny blot on the lower left is the character (who is roughly 5' 6") and the rest are the colossi. Gaius (the fourth bipedal colossus from the left) is roughly 110 feet tall and 35 feet wide, roughly human proportions, so he gets 55 HD using the formula [HD = 1/2 Height]. However, Argus (the third bipedal colossus from the left) is approximately 80 feet tall 60 feet wide. He's definitely stocky, but his width isn't close enough to his height to merit the HD formula of [HD = 2/3 Height]. Therefore, Argus gets only 40 HD as opposed to Gaius' 55 HD. This doesn't seem right to me, since a very stocky colossus gets less HD than a taller but much thinner colossus. Is there an "in-between" HD formula for very stocky creatures that don't have equivalent height and width?

Another problem I've come across is weapon damage. Judging by proportions, Argus' cleaver is only a handaxe, a light weapon, but a Colossal handaxe at that, so it does 4d6 damage according to both Table 1-8 of the Epic Bestiary and WotC's weapon size table. But since it's only a light weapon, Argus can only apply his 1/2 his Strength bonus (his Strength is roughly 50 for a modifier of +20), so his handaxe damage is only 4d6+10. His Stomp attack deals 4d8 according to Table 1-8 of the Bestiary, so adding 1 1/2 his Strength modifier, Argus' stomp deals roughly 4d8+30 as opposed to his Colossal handaxe's 4d6+10. Is this correct? Should I instead upgrade his Colossal handaxe to a Colossal battleaxe or even Colossal greataxe to even out the damage, disregarding the actual proportion of the weapon?

Edit: The handaxe damage should be 4d6+20, not 4d6+10.

Attachments

• Colossus Comparison.jpg
    Colossus Comparison.jpg
    744.3 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:

Howdy! :)

Cool image - thanks for that. :D

Adslahnit said:
I'm in the process of statting out the 16 Colossi from Shadow of the Colossus (as Magical Beasts instead of Constructs, since they seem to have physiologies and are made of flesh and bone) but I'm having difficulty calculating their HD.

Cool idea, they did one of the Colossi in Dragon magazine a year or two ago, but it wasn't that great.

Adslahnit said:
In the attached picture, the tiny blot on the lower left is the character (who is roughly 5' 6") and the rest are the colossi. Gaius (the fourth bipedal colossus from the left) is roughly 110 feet tall and 35 feet wide, roughly human proportions, so he gets 55 HD using the formula [HD = 1/2 Height]. However, Argus (the third bipedal colossus from the left) is approximately 80 feet tall 60 feet wide. He's definitely stocky, but his width isn't close enough to his height to merit the HD formula of [HD = 2/3 Height]. Therefore, Argus gets only 40 HD as opposed to Gaius' 55 HD. This doesn't seem right to me, since a very stocky colossus gets less HD than a taller but much thinner colossus. Is there an "in-between" HD formula for very stocky creatures that don't have equivalent height and width?

They look stocky like dwarves and fire giants, so I would just use 2/3rds for them.

Of course what you could do is take the area and then divide it.

110 x 35 = 3850
80 x 60 = 4800

difference = 24%

55 HD x 1.24 = 68

Adslahnit said:
Another problem I've come across is weapon damage. Judging by proportions, Argus' cleaver is only a handaxe, a light weapon, but a Colossal handaxe at that, so it does 4d6 damage according to both Table 1-8 of the Epic Bestiary and WotC's weapon size table. But since it's only a light weapon, Argus can only apply his 1/2 his Strength bonus (his Strength is roughly 50 for a modifier of +20), so his handaxe damage is only 4d6+10. His Stomp attack deals 4d8 according to Table 1-8 of the Bestiary, so adding 1 1/2 his Strength modifier, Argus' stomp deals roughly 4d8+30 as opposed to his Colossal handaxe's 4d6+10. Is this correct? Should I instead upgrade his Colossal handaxe to a Colossal battleaxe or even Colossal greataxe to even out the damage, disregarding the actual proportion of the weapon?

The damage seems fine to me...or at least in proportion.

Note that any attack which crushes an opponent (between a rock and a hard place) does double damage.

So his axe (or stomp) hitting a character on the ground will deal double damage.

Imagine swatting a fly in the air to swatting one on the window.

WarDragon

First Post
It'd be 4d6+20. Light weapons deal full Str damage, unless they're being used in the off-hand (where a one-handed weapon is also 1/2 Str).

Upper_Krust said:
Note that any attack which crushes an opponent (between a rock and a hard place) does double damage.

Is this already accounted for in the Stomp and Crush damage tables in the Bestiary, or is it still doubled?

WarDragon said:
It'd be 4d6+20. Light weapons deal full Str damage, unless they're being used in the off-hand (where a one-handed weapon is also 1/2 Str).

Oh, right. Stupid me.

Hey Adslahnit! :)

Adslahnit said:
Is this already accounted for in the Stomp and Crush damage tables in the Bestiary, or is it still doubled?

I'm embarrassed to say I can't remember. :eek:

*Is about to open up the Bestiary pdf when he realises he has half a dozen print versions of the Bestiary in the room - DOH!*

Okay, stomp includes Crush damage already.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Im interested in seeing the 3.5 Monster Manual revised according to Krusty's rules. Im curious to see how it would turn out.

But even more than that...Id love to see the Epic Level Handbook monsters revised. In particular the winterwight.

Aside from that I have a request. A hoary hunter winterwight. Not a deity...just a hoary hunter winterwight. Adjusted of course for the Epic BEstiary.

Last edited:

Hey dante! :)

dante58701 said:
Im interested in seeing the 3.5 Monster Manual revised according to Krusty's rules. Im curious to see how it would turn out.

But even more than that...Id love to see the Epic Level Handbook monsters revised. In particular the winterwight.

Aside from that I have a request. A hoary hunter winterwight. Not a deity...just a hoary hunter winterwight. Adjusted of course for the Epic BEstiary.

I'm planning on a little something that you might appreciate, I can't talk about it now but it involves new epic Wights. No it won't interfere with Ascension.

Remove ads