E6: The Game Inside D&D

joela

First Post
Convincing players

my pseudo-OA game last week was fun. now, before they ask if their pcs leveled up, i want to convince the players to give E6 a try.

so, for those who are currently running an e6 campaign, are seriously considering, or tried to convince your players but failed, how'd you do it? what worked to convince (or not convince) your players? what would you chose to do next time that may increase your chances?

Scribble

First Post
joela said:
my pseudo-OA game last week was fun. now, before they ask if their pcs leveled up, i want to convince the players to give E6 a try.

so, for those who are currently running an e6 campaign, are seriously considering, or tried to convince your players but failed, how'd you do it? what worked to convince (or not convince) your players? what would you chose to do next time that may increase your chances?

Well I haven't started yet, but I did talk to one of the players about it... I haven't talked to the other, but the one I did talk to is the one I feared would hate it... He said the power gamer in him was edgy... but it sounded interesting.

But my group consists of two long time friends who also happened to move to SF at roughly the same time I did... so we've been gaming together for a long time, and they are generally open to anything...

Ry

Explorer
joela said:
my pseudo-OA game last week was fun. now, before they ask if their pcs leveled up, i want to convince the players to give E6 a try. so, for those who are currently running an e6 campaign, are seriously considering, or tried to convince your players but failed, how'd you do it? what worked to convince (or not convince) your players? what would you chose to do next time that may increase your chances?

"Hey, I'll run a game in the downtown after work on Wednesdays, but this is my house rule..."

Not a lot to offer, I know. Also, 2 of my players are off-and-on DMs, and new to my group. In fact, one of the biggest things that got my game legs under me was being willing to say "Hey, E6 isn't for everybody, but I bet I can find 5 players that go for it." rather than trying to pigeonhole my old group into it.

Kunimatyu

First Post
Scribble said:
... He said the power gamer in him was edgy... but it sounded interesting.

The way to get a powergamer excited about E6 is to point out all the feat-intensive builds there were never possible with the core rules -- E6 lets non-fighters pick up 10+ feats to interact with their normal class abilities, and this can allow some seriously fun stuff.

Then he'll come up with like ten different character ideas he wants to try, and the hook is set...

Scribble

First Post
Kunimatyu said:
The way to get a powergamer excited about E6 is to point out all the feat-intensive builds there were never possible with the core rules -- E6 lets non-fighters pick up 10+ feats to interact with their normal class abilities, and this can allow some seriously fun stuff.

Then he'll come up with like ten different character ideas he wants to try, and the hook is set...

That's pretty much it... Just always have a neat comeback talking about the feats...

Like when he brought up the fact that it eliminates most PR Classes... I said, yeah... but with the feat selection you have, it'll be possible to emulate the spirit of the role in a way you can't do with just PRC selection... He seemed to like that.

I'm planniong to make things a little different then the standard seems to be here though... I'm going to offer major and minor feats (where you can select two minor or 1 major anytime you get a feat slot...)

Ry

Explorer
Are major and minor feats defined mechanically or is it on a case-by-case basis as determined by the DM?

Turanil

First Post
joela said:
So, for those who are currently running an e6 campaign, are seriously considering, or tried to convince your players but failed, how'd you do it? what worked to convince (or not convince) your players? what would you chose to do next time that may increase your chances?
Well, I don't know if it would work, but I would point this: As players, we usually want to get higher in level, 1) out of curiosity ("I want to try those cool powers and spells"), 2) for power ("I want to be a hero").

The #1 can be somewhat taken care of in giving feats every 5000 XP, especially if you give custom feats, including feats that will be designed with the player to suit their wishes. The #2 is a matter of how the DM runs his campaign. Usually, as long as PCs level, the world around them level accordingly with monsters increasing in power. So it's a race and a hunger for more of everything, in the false hope PCs will eventually be the "real masters". However, in E6 you could keep the world constant, being dangerous at 1st/2nd level, but being no more at 5th-6th level; and at 6th level PCs would be ready to get to those haunted castles, dreaded forests, etc., that everybody fear and that they would have not dare to enter at lower levels. So there still is challenging adventures, yet the PCs are now the respected high-up of the campaign, knowing there isn't always some Elminster or unknown 25th level brigand around more powerful than they are.

Finally, tell them that while they will still have a sense of accomplisment/power along geting more abilities over time, that at low levels the game should be more rapid to run, where a 15th level fight often takes an entire gaming session.

Scribble

First Post
rycanada said:
Are major and minor feats defined mechanically or is it on a case-by-case basis as determined by the DM?

A little bit of both. I can't take credit for the design.. it's a Monte Cook thing...

Minor feats are the ones that are cool abilities but no one ever takes because they are only used occasionally. The example he used was the ability to stick to the ceiling for a short period of time... A neat ability, but one that won't come up all that much... (As opposed to say power attack or cleave...)

So ultimately since it's not already done, it will be a DM call on if it's really minor or not, but backed up with some mechanics...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases