E6: The Game Inside D&D

Kunimatyu

First Post
Quasqueton said:
Maybe I've overlooked the explanation, but why do you call this "E6"? I figure the 6 is for level six, but what is the "E"?

Is it legal to edit the SRD down and post it (for free)?

Quasqueton

1) E6 stands for "Epic 6", because a 6th level D&D character is capable of being an epic hero, as the first post in this thread illustrates.

2) I'm not really sure. I think Ryan prefers the idea of E6 being a small pdf that you add to your existing stuff, and my own preference is similar.

shdwrnr

First Post
Kunimatyu said:
Alignment Master (General)
Prerequisites: Cleric level 6, ability to cast spells from either the Good, Evil, Law, or Chaos domains.
Benefit: Choose one of your alignment domains. Once per day, you gain the ability to cast your 4th level domain spell using your divine caster level.
Special: This feat may be taken multiple times. Each time it applies to a different domain.

(I don't like alignment myself, but it's a feature of D&D3.5 at the moment, and the spells aren't overpowered and give clerics something fun to do.)

If you add this then add Axiomatic, Anarchic, Holy, and Unholy as attainable magic weapon bonuses. Each requires Caster Level 7th and the 4th level domain spell for the law, chaos, good, and evil domain (granted power is +1 to caster level for those spells).

Kunimatyu

First Post
shdwrnr said:
If you add this then add Axiomatic, Anarchic, Holy, and Unholy as attainable magic weapon bonuses. Each requires Caster Level 7th and the 4th level domain spell for the law, chaos, good, and evil domain (granted power is +1 to caster level for those spells).

That's a bit problematic, as a +1 holy sword is a +3 equivalent weapon, and as such would require a 9th level caster, which is outside the range of E6 quite considerably. Even if it was possible to make a holy sword based on my feat above, I'd prefer not to because other +3 weapons are off limits.

The Magic Item Compendium has a +1 equivalent quality called blessed (good aligned and 3/day you can auto-confirm crits versus an evil creature) -- I'd rather just extrapolate that quality, if I felt the need. Personally, I prefer changing the alignment monikers to [supernatural] and having Magic Circle vs. Supernatural, for instance.

All of this, though, exists on the periphery of E6 as house-rules-ish stuff, and I doubt it'd make a good addition to the basic document.

(As a small side-note, I find that the Magic Item Compendium is a GREAT E6 resource, as most of the items are both flavorful and have low caster level requirements. Almost as if WotC knows what level range in the game is most played...)

Scribble

First Post
Have you looked into messing around with the weapons of Legacy rules for this?

Seems like they would be a natural addition to the game... Most items/weapons being somewhat low powered except for a few... Maybe re-tool them a bit to make them fit better. (because a lot of the powers happen after 5th level...)

Kunimatyu

First Post
Scribble said:
Have you looked into messing around with the weapons of Legacy rules for this?

Seems like they would be a natural addition to the game... Most items/weapons being somewhat low powered except for a few... Maybe re-tool them a bit to make them fit better. (because a lot of the powers happen after 5th level...)

Not really, although I suspect as long as you capped advancement at a +2 it would work, since most of the minor abilities simply aren't that strong. What I probably would require, is for the player to take a Legacy feat (or multiples, based on how that little menu system works) in order to get their desired ability, and to cap anything beyond the level that allows +2. The negative hp/save/skill modifiers don't work nearly so well, since the numbers don't progress the same way in E6.

In short, there's probably a way to make it work, but I'd probably just link the menu abilities to gaining a generic Legacy feat -- any more complex analysis will have to wait for another more dedicated individual.

Scribble

First Post
Kunimatyu said:
Not really, although I suspect as long as you capped advancement at a +2 it would work, since most of the minor abilities simply aren't that strong. What I probably would require, is for the player to take a Legacy feat (or multiples, based on how that little menu system works) in order to get their desired ability, and to cap anything beyond the level that allows +2. The negative hp/save/skill modifiers don't work nearly so well, since the numbers don't progress the same way in E6.

In short, there's probably a way to make it work, but I'd probably just link the menu abilities to gaining a generic Legacy feat -- any more complex analysis will have to wait for another more dedicated individual.

Kuni, thats sort of my thinking too... The negative penalties wouldn't work, but the flavor of the system works well... (When I run an e6 I'm going to look into messing with the legacy system... )

Kunimatyu said:
Of course. Doing so in a non-clunky fashion may be hard, however.

Since it'll have no saving throw, level isn't that important, and neither is school. It ignores SR, so having it as a supernatural ability rather than a spell would streamline things(although nobody realizes that about supernatural abilities, so perhaps it wouldn't).

So, d6 x caster level, close range, acid touch attack, 3rd level slot, and ignores SR are the important things. Let's try:

Acid Blast (General)
Prerequisites: Arcane caster level 5, ability to cast Conjuration[acid] spells.
Benefit: By expending a 3rd level spell slot, you may fire an orb of acid as a ranged touch attack. The orb has a range of 25 feet plus 5 feet per two caster levels, and deals 1d6 acid damage per caster level, maximum 10d6. The orb ignores Spell Resistance, and is treated as a 3rd level Conjuration[acid] spell in all respects.
Special: If you prepare arcane spells, you may prepare Acid Blast as if it was a 3rd level spell.
I guess I'm missing something... Why wouldn't it have a saving throw for 1/2 damage? And, why would it ignore SR?

Very curious.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases