E6: The Game Inside D&D

I just wanted to chime in and say that I am pretty intrigued by this concept. I have no idea if I will ever run a E6 game, but it sounds interesting.

Some Notes about skills:
I would recommend against increasing the attainable rank to high - Otherwise, you might up getting the same effect as leveling certain characters. (But I think it should be possible to expand a characters skills further)
An alternate suggestion would be to just lower the skill requisites, or add some feats that increases your skill ranks for the purposes of qualifying for feats.
Further skill improvement should (in my opinion at least) not increase _what_ the characters can achieve, but how easy it is for them get a possible result.
Examples might be (stealing from Star Wars Saga Edition):

Improved Skill Focus
Prerequisite: Skill Focus in the skill in question:
Take any one skill you have the skill focus feat in. Your effective rank is considered 2 points higher for determining if you qualify for a feat. In addition, you may decide to reroll any check made with the skill. You must take the reroll result, even if it is worse.

Greater Skill Focus
Prerequisite: Improved Skill Focus in the skill in question
Take any one skill you have the Improved Skill Focus feat in. Your effective rank is considered 2 points higher for determining if you qualify for a feat (this benefit stacks with Improved Skill Focus). In addition, you may always choose to reroll the skill and take the higher result.

Improved Skill Mastery
Prerequisite: Skill Mastery
Choose a number of skills equal to 3 + your Int Modifier in which you have the Skill Mastery for.You may now take 15 on the skill, which works identically as taking 10, except that your result is 5 points higher.

Greater Skill Mastery
Prerequisite: Improved Skill Mastery
Choose a number of skills equal to 3 + your Int Modifier in which you have the Skill Mastery feat. When taking 20, you require only half the usual time.

Or mix and combine the benefits of these feats like you prefer. :)

I would also recommend using the PHB II retraining rules a lot more - these make a lot of sense now. Characters now can change their focus, and losing skills, ability points, feats or even class levels for alternate ones basically emulates "skill degredation". If you begin to focus on something else, your other abilities fade...
(I would put some limit on class retraining: I think the first character level should be "set in stone", so that nobody ever forgets how he began...)

Ryan Canada, I have to say this E6 concept is really kicking my butt. That is one of the greatest ideas I've seen on these forums in years.

I'm halfway thinking of taking the Modern SRD and applying the E6 concept to it as well as a houserule document for my campaign. I'd also probably turn the talent trees into post level 6 feat chains or something as well.

But the funny thing is, E6 means I don't most of the problems with D&D per se already. I can handwave the flavor instead of trying to do things like alternate magic systems, artifical level caps, etc.

This is very sweet.

Grimstaff

Explorer
Grimstaff said:
0xp 1st lvl
1000xp bonus feat
2000xp 2nd lvl
4000xp bonus feat
6000xp 3rd lvl
9000xp bonus feat
12000xp 4th lvl
16000xp bonus feat
20000xp 5th lvl
25000xp bonus feat
30000xp 6th lvl
+bonus feat each additional 5k xp
*This replaces bonus feats normally gained at 3rd and 6th level.
I presented this to my thurs night players and they seem interested. We agreed the bonus feats would be instead of, rather than in addition to, the bonus feats normally gained at 3rd and 6th level.

They did seem interested in capping at 10th instead of 6th though...

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
Can someone help me / Quasqueton? I have no idea what's causing the error, I can open the file from work or home.

rycanada said:
Can someone help me / Quasqueton? I have no idea what's causing the error, I can open the file from work or home.
Maybe he should retry downloading it? It sometimes (even if very rarely) can happen that the file is damaged during such a process.

Ry

Explorer
Thanks RC! I never had a grognardely bone in my body, but 4e has me caught between

"hmm, I like faster prep and fewer skills"

and

"I've pretty much nailed it here. Why change?"

Remove ads