NPCs and Monsters by WesternWolf

WesternWolf

First Post
I wrote up an NPC for my campaign and I figured I'd share since I thought she was kinda cool. In my game she's been tasked by Moradin in a dream to leave the mountain holds and travel to the lowlands where many dwarves have been abandoning his church for human faiths over the past few generations. I realize that won't fit for a lot of people, but she could just as easily be a wandering priestess fighting evil or a dwarven bringer of "healing" -cues Marvin Gaye- ;) Use your imaginations! Hope you enjoy!
Built on a 28 point buy, everything in cyan is from Book of Exalted Deeds. Minor house rules are in orange

Odessa
Female Dwarf Favored Soul 10 of Maradin
LG Medium Humanoid (Dwarf)
Init +1; Senses Darkvision 60ft., Listen +0, Spot +0
Languages Common, Dwarven
----------------------------------------------------------
AC 20 (+1 Dex, +7 Exalted, +1 Deflection, +1 Natural) touch 12, flat-footed 19
hp 80 (10d8+20); DR 5/Magic
Fort +10 Ref +9 Will +8 (+2 against spells)
----------------------------------------------------------
Speed 20ft.
Melee +10/+5 Warhammer (1d8+5/x3)
Ranged n/a
Base Attack +7/+2 ; Grp +9 (+4 to resist Trip and Bullrush when standing on ground)
Atk Options Spells, Improved Sunder, Power Attack
---------------------------------------------------------
Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 18
SQ Endure Elements, Exatled Strike +2/good, Sustenance, Deflection, Resistance +1, Mind Shielding, Fire Resistance 10, Cold Resistance 10, Stability, Dwarf Traits (combat bonus vs Giants, Orcs, Goblinoids)
Feats Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Touch of Golden Ice*, Nimbus of Light*, Holy Radiance*, Stigmata*, Weapon Focus (warhammer)*, Power Attack, Improved Sunder
*Bonus feats
Skills Diplomacy +14 (16 with good creatures), Knowledge (Religion)* +9
*I change Favored Soul's knowledge class skill from Arcana to Religion
Spells Known (CL 10th):
5th (3/Day) Commune, Insect Plague, Righteous Might, Spell Resistance*
4th (6/Day) Cure Critical Wounds, Divination, Death Ward, Divine Power, Spell Immunity*
3rd (7/Day) Cure Serious Wounds, Dispel Magic, Protection from Energy*, Searing Light, Speak With Dead, Stone Shape
2nd (7/day) Calm Emotions, Cure Moderate Wounds, Eagle's Splendor, Enthrall, Hold Person, Restoration (Lesser), Shield Other*
1st (7/Day) Bless, Comprehend Languages, Cure Light Wounds, Divine Favor, Remove Fear, Sanctuary*, Shield of Faith
0 (6/Day) Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Magic, Mending, Purify Food and Drink +5 more
* I allow Favored Souls to automatically know the spells from one domain. if you don't want this, remove those spells
Possessions Warhammer, wooden holy symbol of moradin, least amount of clothing allowed by local authorities
---------------------------------------------------------
Touch of Golden Ice (Su): Any evil creature touched by Odessa is subject to the Golden Ice (Contact Fort DC 14 Initial 1d6 Dex Secondary 2d6 Dex)
Exalted Strike (Su): Any weapon wielded by Odessa is treated as having a +2 enchantment bonus, and as good for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.
Sustenance (Ex): Odessa doesn't need to eat or drink

Hook: "Come brothers, listen to the Allsmith's words..."

As for combat, she prefers to stay out of melee unless she's buffed. Depending on what she's up against, she'll cast sanctuary, buff up (Divine Favor/Power, Righteous Might, etc) and then she will attempt to sunder weapons and shields. Any weak looking evil foes she attempts to touch (with her golden ice ability). Otherwise, just full attacks with judicious use of power attack. She is not afraid to run from a losing battle, and only fights to the death against those she knows firsthand to have commited evil against the dwarves.

*edit* Oh yeah, she walks around as close to naked as she can get away with. She believes the dwarven form to be perfection, and isn't shy about showing it off. *edit*

Last edited:

WesternWolf

First Post
Thanks! One more thing I forgot to mention about her, the warhammer she has is a martial weapon and therefore technically breaks her vow of poverty. But a simple weapon would totally kill the Moradin flavor, so I fudged it. I think I'm just gonna use this thread to post all the interesting NPCs and monsters I come up with for my game. *changes title*

WesternWolf

First Post
Triple Threat

I'm a sucker for giants and humanoids, and I really thought the elemental magi from Monster Manual V were awesome. I'm not sure how I'm gonna use these yet, or if I will. But combined with a couple of Mike Mearls' ogre mages and some normal or slightly advanced ogres they could form the basis of reoccuring villains over levels 3-17+ Without further ado, my advanced elemental magi:

Earlgoth (Ken Kuni)
Usually NE Large Giant (earth) Ftr2 CR 10
Init +0 Senses low-light vision; Listen +7, Spot +7
Languages Common, Giant
--------------------------------------------
AC 25, touch 9, flat-footed 25
(-1 size, +8 armor, +8 natural)
HP 115 (8d8+2d10+60) high average ; fast healing 5; DR 10/magic
Fort +15 Ref +2 Will +3
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)in plate mail, base speed 40 ft., burrow 10 ft.
Melee adamantium greatsword +17/+12 (3d6+12/19-20) and gore +10 (1d8+8) or
Melee 2 slams +15 each (1d4+8) and gore +10 (1d8+8) or
Sunder a. greatsword +23 (+4 improved sunder, +4 two handed weapon, +4 assuming foe is medium, -8 power attack) deals (3d6+28 ignore 20 hardness)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10ft.
Base Atk +8; Grp +20
Atk Options Cleave, Power Attack, Improved Sunder, Powerful Charge
Special Actions earthshock
-------------------------------------------
Abilities Str 27, Dex 11, Con 23, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 11
SA earthshock
SQ shared strength
Feats Cleave, Improved Sunder, Power Attack, Powerful Charge, Weapon Focus (Greatsword)
Skills Climb +7, Intimidate +4, Knowledge (nature) +2, Listen +7, Search +2, Spot +7
Possessions masterwork plate mail, adamantium greatsword
------------------------------------------
Earthshock (Su): Once every 1d4 rounds, a ken-kuni can cause an earth tremor. This can affect either every square adjacent to the ken-kuni or a 30-foot line extending out from the creature. Anyone in the area must succeed on a DC 20 Reflex save or be knocked prone and take 1d4 points of non-lethal damage. The save DC is Constitution-based.
If a ken-li and a ken-sun are both within 60 feet, the ken-kuni can use this ability every round. Elemental magi are immune to this ability.
Shared Strength (Su): When a ken-kuni is within 60 feet of one or more elemental mages and must make a saving throw, it uses the highest save bonus among the group.

Powerful Charge (from Monster Manual IV): When the creature charges, if its melee attack hits, it deals an extra 1d8 points of damage (if it is of Medium size). For Large creatures, the extra damage is 2d6 points; for Huge, 3d6; for Gargantuan, 4d6; and for Colossal, 6d6. This feat works only when the creature makes a charge. It does not work when the creature is mounted. If the creature has the ability to make multiple attacks after a charge, it can apply this extra damage to only one of those attacks.

Tactics: He should be encountered with his big brothers, so these tactics reflect that.

Round 1: Starts combat burrowed. Erupt from ground and sunder the stuffing out of fighter's weapon/shield
Round 2: Use Earthshock line variant, take a single attack on fighter (power attack for 4 if they are prone, sunder if first attempts failed)
Round 3: Charge troublesome squishy (rogue, mage whatever...)
Round 4: Repeat round two.

Last edited:

WesternWolf

First Post
Darlgoth (Ken Li)
Usually CE Large Giant (fire) Ftr 2 CR 12
Init +3 Senses low-light vision; Listen +8, Spot +8
Languages Common, Giant
AC 27, touch 9, flat-footed 22
(-1 size, +7 armor, +3 Dex, +8 natural)
HP 176 (12d8+2d10+98); fast healing 10
Immune fire
Fort +18 Ref +7 Will +9
Weakness vulnerability to cold
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares)in breastplate, base speed 50 ft.,
Melee +1 keen greatsword +17/+12/+7 (3d6+8/15-20) and gore +11 (1d8+5) or
Melee gore +11 (1d8+5) and 2 slams +9 (1d4+2)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10ft.
Base Atk +11; Grp +20
Atk Options Cleave, Great Cleave, Power Attack
Special Actions flame breath
Abilities Str 20, Dex 17, Con 25, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 10
SA flame breath, wreathed in flame
SQ shared strength
Feats Cleave, Great Cleave, Power Attack, Power Critical (greatsword), Improved Critical (greatsword), Ability Focus (flame breath), Weapon Focus (Greatsword)
Skills Balance +5, Climb +13, Handle Animal +4, Intimidate +4, Knowledge (nature) +4, Listen +8, Search +4, Spot +8
Possessions masterwork breastplate, +1 keen greatsword
Wreathed in Flame (Su) Creatures takes 1d6 points of fire damage at the end of a ken-li's turn if they are within 5 feet of it. Furthermore, creatures that strike or touch a ken-li with their body or a weapon take 1d6 points of fire damage. A creature can take damage from touching or striking a ken-li only once per turn. The creature can supress this ability at will. Elemental magi are immune to this ability.

Flame Breath (Su) 30-foot line, once every 1d4 rounds, damage 6d6 fire, Reflex DC 25 half. The save DC is Constitution based. If a Ken-kuni and a Ken-sun are both within 60 feet, a ken-li can use this ability every round. Elemental magi are immune to this ability.

Shared Strength (Su) When a ken-kuni is within 60 feet of one or more elemental mages and must make a saving throw, it uses the highest save bonus among the group.

I changed the ability to do 1d6 damage instead of 1d3

He should be fighting with his two brothers, so tactics are basically breathe fire or move every round, and make a single attack power attacking down 5 hoping for a crit. He moves to support Earlgoth with flanking when he can. Don't forget his power critical feat gives him +4 on confirmation rolls!

Last edited:

WesternWolf

First Post
Ventigoth (Spellwarped Ken Sun)
Usually LE Large Aberration (air, augmented) CR 15 (reccomend testing)
Init +8 Senses low-light vision; Listen +12, Spot +12
Aura deflecting winds
Languages Common, Giant
AC 30, touch 9, flat-footed 22
(-1 size, +6 armor, +4 Dex, +11 natural)
HP 210 (17d8+119); fast healing 10; SR 28
Fort +17 Ref +9 Will +13
Speed 50 ft. (10 squares), fly 20 ft. (perfect); freedom of movement
Melee +2 longspear +23/+18/+13 (2d6+16/x3) or
Melee gore +16 (1d8+10) and 2 slams +14 (1d6+5) or
Melee gore +21 (1d8+10)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10ft. (20 ft. with longspear)
Base Atk +12; Grp +26
Atk Options Awesome Blow, Power Attack
Special Actions wind breath
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 17th):
2/Day - control weather
1/day - sleet storm
Abilities Str 31, Dex 19, Con 24, Int 25, Wis 21, Cha 21
SA deflecting winds, spell-like abilities, wind breath
SQ shared strength, spell resistance 28, spell absorbtion
Feats Alertness, Awesome Blow, Ability Focus (wind breath), Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Power Attack
Skills Balance +9, Bluff +18, Climb +18, Concentration +15, Decipher Script +11, Diplomacy +17, Disguise +5 (+7 acting), Gather Information +11, Handle Animal +11, Heal +9, Intimidate +21, Jump +22, Knowledge (arcana) +14, Knowledge (nature) +9, Listen +12, Ride +5, Search +11, Sense Motive +15, Spellcraft +17, Spot +12, Survival +5 (+7 following tracks, +7 aboveground)
Possessions +2 longspear
Deflecting Winds (Su) A ken-sun is surrounded by a tempest of air that affects every square adjacent to it with windstorm-level effects (DMG 95). The creature can suppress this ability at will. Elemental magi are immune to this ability.

Freedom of Movement (Su) As the freedom of movement spell; continuous; caster level 15th. The effect can be dispelled, but a ken-sun can create it again on its next turn as a free action.

Wind Breath (Su) 30-Foot line, once every 1d4 rounds, Fortitude DC 25 negates. An opponent that fails the save is pushed to the end of the effect, taking 1d4 points of nonlethal damage per 10 feet it is pushed. the save DC is Con based. If a Ken-kuni and a ken-li are both withing 60 feet, the ken-sun can use this ability every round. Elemental magi are immune to this ability.

Shared Strength (Su) When a ken-sun is within 60 feet of one or more elemental mages and must make a saving throw, it uses the highest save bonus among the group.

Spell Absorption (Su) Whenever a spell fails to penetrate a spellwarped creature's spell resistance, the creature gains one of the following benefits, chosen at the time the spell resolves.
Might: The spellwarped creature gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Str for 1 minute
Agility: The spellwarped creature gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Dex for 1 minute
Endurance: The spellwarped creature gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Con for 1 minute
Life: The spellwarped creature gains temporary hitpoints equal to 5 x the level of the failed spell
Speed: The spellwarped creature's base speed increases by a number of feet equal to 5 x the level of the failed spell.
Resistance: The spellwarped creature gains resistance 10 to one energy type (acid, cold, electricity, fire or sonic) for one minute.

Please note that the skill bonuses are not correct, as I didn't feel like wasting time on the math. They reflect the monster before the template. Ventigoth's tactics are basically to seperate the cleric or annoying spellcaster from the rest of the party and use his superior mobility/reach and spellwarped abilities to pwn that character. He tries to stay within 60' of his brothers so that they all benefit from their shared abilities. The three brothers together should challenge a party of four 15-16th level characters if I'm guessing correctly. Remember to sunder the fighter's gear, and to isolate the cleric and the Brothers should present a pretty good challenge. Hope you enjoy!

Last edited:

WesternWolf

First Post
Móror CR13
Male wood elf half dragonflesh golem green dragon shaman 10
NE Medium construct
Init +2 ;Senses low light vision, blindsight 60ft.
Aura Draconic aura +3
Languages Elven, Common, Draconic
-----------------------------------------------------------------
AC 30 (+2 dexterity, +8 natural, +6 armor, +4 shield)
HP 77 (10d10) DR 10/adamantine
Immune acid, paralysis, sleep, critical hits, magic (see below), frightful presence of dragons, poison, stunning
Fort +9 Ref +5 Will +7
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 120 ft. (poor)
Melee +15/+10 +2 morningstar (1d8+8/x3) and +11 claw (1d4+3) or
Melee 4 claws +12 (1d4+6)
Ranged +9/+4 composite longbow (+6 str) (1d8+6/x3)
Base Atk +7; Grp +17
Space 5 ft. Reach 5 ft.
Combat Options Breath Weapon, Improved Grapple, Auras
Special Actions Touch of Vitality
Abilities Str 22, Dex 14, Con --, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 6
SQ touch of vitality, draconic resolve, magic immunity, frightful presence (DC 13)
SA water breathing, breath weapon (5d6 acid 15' cone DC), draconic resolve
Draconic Auras Known Energy Shield, Power, Presence, Resistance, Senses, Toughness, Vigor
Feats multiattack, combat reflexes, improved toughness (taken at 9th), improved grapple
Skills Bluff, Climb, Craft, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge (nature), Move Silently, Search
Posessions +2 morningstar, +2 chain shirt, +2 large shield
Water Breathing (Ex) Can breathe indefinitely underwater and use spells and other abilties (always active)
Draconic Aura (Su) As a swift action, can project one of the following auras. It affects all allies within 30' (including Móror) and can only have one active at a time. (complete description page 13 PHB II)
Energy Shield: Any creature striking you or your ally with a natural attack or nonreach melee weapon is dealt 6 points of acid damage.
Power: A +6 bonus on melee attack damage.
Presence: A +6 bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks.
Resistance: Acid resistance 15
Senses: A +3 bonus to Listen and Spot checks, as well as initiative checks
Toughness: DR 3/magic
Vigor: Fast healing 3, but only affects characters at or below one-half their full normal hit points.
Breath Weapon (Su) Every 1d4 rounds, 15ft. cone of acid. 5d6 damage, DC 18 reflex save for half.
Touch of Vitality (Su) Each day can heal 20 points of damage.
Frightful Presence (Su) When charging, attacking or flying overhead, any creature seeing Móror who has fewer than 10 hit-dice must make a DC 13 Will save or be shaken for 5d6 rounds. A successful save leaves the target immune to this effect for 1 day.
Immune to Magic (Ex) Immune to spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural effects except
- Fire & Cold effect Móror as a Slow spell for 2d6 rounds.
- Electricity effects heal the creature 1hp per 3 damage and break any Slow effect.

What rises up before you out of the murky water can only be described as a horror. It roars in terrible fury and straightens its twisted frame. Standing partially erect before you is a six limbed winged thing. It's face is that of an elf , it wears a pained grin. Below its elven arms sprout a pair of dragon's arms, and its legs are also draconic. He hefts a morningstar and charges through the water towards you.

Móror was an elf who was obsessed with dragons and their power. He followed his obsession until one day he met a diabolical sorceror who was interested in creating new forms of constructs. The sorceror deceived Móror and told him the location of a green dragon's lair well knowing that the dragon was extremely sadistic and would slowly eat anyone who came there. Móror went to seek knowledge and was attacked, he managed to deafeat the dragon, but not before several of his limbs were mangled. The sorceror then arrived on the scene and offered to replace his limbs with those of the dragon. Unfortunately the process drove him insane and he now kills everything he comes across.

Sorry for the crappy background story..I'm sleepy. Hope you enjoy this unique monster despite that. Uhm, his touch of vitality wont work on himself anymore since the template turned him into a construct, I also didn't do the skills because he really doesn't have any that would affect combat and I didn't feel like deciding what level he gained the template and thus lost a bunch of int.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases