Help on a Crusader Build

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Crusaders don't have access to Diamond Mind maneuvers. They'd have to burn 2 feats to gain Emerald Razor (as it has a prerequisite of 1 Diamond Mind maneuver), and would have no recovery method to use it more than once per encounter.

Zurai

First Post
Kmart Kommando said:
and would have no recovery method to use it more than once per encounter.

Incorrect. If you do not have a recovery method, those feats work as you describe.

If you DO have a class that gives a recovery method, you can assign the maneuver from the feat to that class's recovery method.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Kmart Kommando said:
Full BAB and a delayed damage pool giving you more of a bonus to hit. Why would you not take Power Attack?
Because Stone Power is usually a better use for those five points of attack bonus.

Also, one-handed weapon, and low synergy with my maneuvers (which have to have a few Stone Dragon strikes, and won't have any Diamond Mind strikes).

Cheers, -- N

Vysirez

First Post
I just want to second or third any suggestions for extra granted maneuver for a crusader build. It's very useful, allowing you to cycle your maneuvers earlier and giving more options when you start a fight. I would also second stone power, it's a really nice feat for a crusader.

I think Nifft's build is pretty good. I personally would prefer Iron Guards Glare or Martial spirit over Bolstering Voice. He's got a pretty good mix of strikes and counters/boosts. One thing to be aware of with a crusdaer is not taking too many strikes. With extra granted maneuver your maneuver pool cycles every 3 rounds, without it's every 4. So it's difficult to use more then 3-4 strikes before you reset your maneuvers. So I would generally try to have 3-4 good strikes, and fill the rest of your maneuvers with boosts and counters. This isnt always easy with a crusader due to limited selections, but it's something to aim for.

Another thing is with a crusader you want to try to use as many of your maneuvers as you can generally. Yes, you do want to use them well, but since it doesnt take an action to refresh and they are going to recycle anyways, you generally want to use them if you can. Hence the reason for not taking to many strikes.

If your just starting with crusader I would say stick with a pure crusader build. It's still very strong, and will allow you to focus on getting the most out of that. Ruby Knight Vindicator is a very powerful build, too powerful IMO, so if you are at all worried about your DM stepping on ToB I would avoid it at first.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Vysirez said:
I think Nifft's build is pretty good. I personally would prefer Iron Guards Glare or Martial spirit over Bolstering Voice. He's got a pretty good mix of strikes and counters/boosts.
Thanks.

My reasoning for the stance selection was partially simplicity. Since he's going to be taking White Raven Defense, I figured it'd be best to make sure he's always in a White Raven stance. It's annoying enough to remember that when he's next to an ally they both get +1 AC. :)

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads