Thinking About OD&D

sleestak.bmp

jjarvis posted his OD&D sleestak stats on the OD&D board:

Sleestakks, AC 5; Move 3; HD 1+1

Sleestaks are nocturnal reptilian humanoids that dwell in the remains of their once advanced technological/mystical civilization. They are a bit dim and are usually armed with ineffective light crossbows with ranges as follows 1"/2"/3". they will always miss on the first shot and seldom surprise anyone because of the noisy hissing they make when excited. They do not like to operate in bright light and will flee areas of all but the mildest of illumination.

Ant

First Post
Keep up the great work, Philotomy. I love reading your musings and found them invaluable when I DMed my first OD&D game. I'm also referencing them extensively as I prep to run an OD&D session for Gencon Oz.

Ant said:
Keep up the great work, Philotomy. I love reading your musings and found them invaluable when I DMed my first OD&D game. I'm also referencing them extensively as I prep to run an OD&D session for Gencon Oz.
Cool; I'm glad you found them useful. I enjoyed your session report on that Keep on the Borderlands game, too. ("Old school means you die screaming..." -- hah!)

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
I just wanted to thank you for your posts Philotomy. I unfortunately can't get my group to go with the old school rules, but as may have read in another post I made, I am going to be DM'ing an old school style game using the Pathfinder rules. The description of the game is here:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...port-sword-sorcery-style-castle-greyhawk.html

I am fortunate in that they finally want to play characters who aren't goody-goodies, out to go on missions and quests to save the world. They are playing self-centered Bards, who are essentially in a rock band and just want to get laid. Reluctant adventurers at best. So I figure, finally, I can do an old-school flavor campaign.

Having missed the old school gaming when it was new school (I'm 38, began playing in 1984 with the red box), I needed to learn what exactly it was. I knew I wanted to play something inspired by my reading of the pulp fantasy I loved like Elric, Conan, and Leiber's stuff, which also inspired Gygax in the early days, but I had never played a D&D game like that.

Using your page as a starting point, I was able to spend 2 days this weekend surfing the various boards and blogs, doing somewhat deep research into the whole thing. Based on my fiction reading, the boards and blogs, and reading the OD&D books and supplements, as well as Swords and Wizardry, I am beginning to get a feel or it in terms of flavor and style. I hope to incorporate that as best I can into the Pathfinder-based game I linked to above.

Any ideas or feedback you can give me on how best to do that would be greatly appreciated. While I can't get them to play OD&D, I can at least get them playing a game whose style mimics it as best I can, given the restraints of modern 3.x games.

As I was reading the blogs and boards, and I came across various snippets and quotes which in my eyes helped me get the old school feel, I started copy and pasting them to a word doc. I am attaching that doc to this post. Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of where I got the quotes. I take no credit for them though. Feel free to read through the doc and add more to this thread if you like. Anything that can help a guy in my situation better play an old school feel game with modern 3.x rules would be greatly appreciated and helpful.

I think it's stuff like this which can get modern 3.x players to play an OD&D session. You have to play with them where they're at, in the 3.x world, in an old school style that they have never seen before, in order to show them another way of playing the game. They mght enjoy it.Then we can add to the resurgence of the old school movement by convincing them to try something new/old, and roll up a "Fighting Man" under OD&D and let go of the rules they cling to.

Attachments

• must haves for modules.doc
    54.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases