(CSRHoD) Creamsteak's Red Hand of Doom [IC]




What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 127 123456789101151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1263
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Creamsteak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Nowhere.
    Posts
    8,947

    Ignore Creamsteak
    My communities:

    (CSRHoD) Creamsteak's Red Hand of Doom [IC]

    Chapter I: Posts 2-738

    Two different adventuring groups meet in combat, assaulted by a band of vicious hobgoblins. The adventures handily win the day, but both groups realize that their chances would have been very slim if they had not happened upon each other at just the right time. Each group has a different reason for passing by Drellin's Ferry, the local river town. One group is on their way to explore the ruins of Vraath Keep, while the other group was to deliver a message to Town Speaker Norro Wiston. Both groups determine that their goals are fairly similar means to an end.

    The adventuring party, now stocked with a full assortment of heroes, travels through the treacherous Witchwood in search of long-lost treasure and waiting hobgoblin ambushes. They meet the friendly woodsman Jorr, who offers them aid as a tracker and guide. After dealing with the creatures of the Witchwood, they arrive at Vraath Keep - an old stone castle turned into a Hobgoblin staging area.

    At Vraath Keep, two battles take place. In the first, the heroes ambush and defeat Wyrmlord Koth, a powerful bugbear sorcerer. The group discovers a wealth of information on the incomming threat of the hobgoblin armies. In the second battle of Vraath, the group is ambushed by the spirits of the damned commander Amery Vraath and his giant foes. The battle mocks the original conflict that ended in the giants and Vraath's death. At the end of the battle, Gurguannin and Scarlet are dead. The spirit of Amery permits the party to explore his final tomb below the castle, where they find various items including Amery's longbow.

    The party travels north, based on the information from Koth. When they arrive at the Skull Gorge Bridge, a massive battle breaks out. A dragon and various hobgoblins guard the place, and they inflict severe damage on much of the party. The group of adventerurs is wiley and prepared, and they manage to defeat the guards -though the dragon narrowly escapes death. During the battle a prisoner by the name of Pender breaks free from the hobgoblins and joins the adventuring party. He becomes a valuable asset to the group.

    The heroes learn of the full extent of the hobgoblin invasion -numbering in the thousands. After the Battle of Skull Gorge, the group sabotages the bridge in order to slow the enemy army. Once all is said and done, they return to Drellin's Ferry to give a fair warning.

    After a meeting of the town coucil, the decision is made to flee from the approaching army. The entire city spends the next three days evacuating the township. Even as the populace begins the trek to the walled city of Brindol, there are still things to be done. The enemy is everywhere, and there seems to be no limit to their numbers.

    Chapter 2: Posts 739-???

    Current Leg.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 95679.jpg  
    Last edited by Creamsteak; Tuesday, 15th January, 2008 at 01:46 AM.

 

  • #2
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Creamsteak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Nowhere.
    Posts
    8,947

    Ignore Creamsteak
    My communities:


    Elsir Vale before the coming of the Red Hand-the calm before the storm.


    Group 1
    Tyrla nic Rizzel - Female Tiefling Warlock 5
    Siobhan Lilend - Male Aasimar Cleric of Kord 5
    Gurguannin - Male Dwarf Barbarian 5

    Group-1
    Rumors have circulated around the Hammerfist Holds and small bases along the Giantshield Mountains that hobgoblins have been sited as far south as the Thornwaste, and as far north as the Blackfens. This unsettling news has been kept out of the minds of the local population, but by word of mouth it has reached your ears. Your group was traveling along the Dwarfroad north, towards Drellins Ferry to carry a message to the Town Speaker Norro Wiston to inform him of the recent activity.

    Along the road you spot 3 travelers just ahead of you.


    Group 2
    Larian Lightweaver - Male Gray Elf Wizard 5
    Warren - Male Halfling Rogue 2/Swordsage 3
    Avril - Female Human Druid 5

    Group-2
    Some time ago, your group defeated a small group of ogres that were creating problems for the city of Terrelton. Among their treasure horde was a small map held in a scrollcase. The map shows the location of a place known as Vraath Keep and hints at a hidden vault containing a great treasure. Further, there are whispers in the air that there is an unnatural disturbance in the Witchwood surrounding the keep.

    Your group is now traveling along the Dwarfroad, towards Drellins Ferry coming from Terelton.


    OOC: In order to introduce this adventure I've decided to have two different groups of 3 members each "meet." Each group has a different plot hook, and the adventure begins just as they encounter each other on the road.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 95646.jpg  
    Last edited by Creamsteak; Tuesday, 11th September, 2007 at 02:57 AM.

  • #3
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Creamsteak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Nowhere.
    Posts
    8,947

    Ignore Creamsteak
    My communities:

    All:The afternoon sun beats down on you; the air is hot and still. The sparsely settled lands of Elsir Vale are starting to grow monotonous, with a seemingly endless line of dusty flyspecks of towns. The town of Drellin's Ferry lies a few miles ahead of you. It's a settlement hard on the borders of the Witchwood and the Rhestwash river.

    All: As the two groups of adventurers run into each other, some of their members spot something out of place in the distance.

    OOC: Everyone except for Avril made their spot check agains the hobgoblin groups hide check. Read the italics text below for what you see.

    The road crests a small rise and descends int oa dusty grove in a large, shallow dell. An abandoned farmhouse, partially visible through the trees, stands on one side of the road. You've passed a dozen spots much like this one already today, but this one feels wrong. The nyou glimps the glint of mail through the brush by the side of the road. Fierce warriors-tall, hairy humanoids with wide mouths and flat faces-are lying in wait!





    OOC: I've taken the liberty of using the generated map by Wizards, but I've kinda messed with it a lot to remove their grid and add my own enumerated one.

    Terrain: Most of the forrest squares are filled with light undergrowth (2 squares to enter, provides concealment) and trees (provides cover to creatures in the same square). The old fieldstone walls of the farmyard are low walls. The escarpment of the road cut is a steep slope covered by light undergrowth (4 squares to enter).

    If you are mounted at the beginning of the encounter, remember that characters untrained in the Ride skill might have trouble controlling their mounts.

    Those of you that succeeded at your spot checks have noticed hobgoblins in each of the positions marked with an R. To clarify since the grid is redrawn:

    Hobgoblin Regulars: M11, E15, Q14, H18, S16, L20.

    Here are your positions:
    K15 - Larian
    L15 - Tyrla
    M15 - Warren
    L16 - Avril
    M16 - Siobhan
    N16 - Gurguannin


    Colors are not permanent. If you have a preference just tell me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MARAUDER ATTACK.jpg  
    Last edited by Creamsteak; Tuesday, 11th September, 2007 at 03:41 AM.

  • #4
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Creamsteak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Nowhere.
    Posts
    8,947

    Ignore Creamsteak
    My communities:

    Because the vast majority of characters would act in the surprise round, I'm just going to say that the surprise round doesn't happen. Instead we will begin with initiatives.

    Initiative Order
    Siobhan - 19
    Warren - 17
    Tyrla - 17
    Avril - 12
    Gurguannin - 12 (not sure about what feats you have?)
    Hobgoblins - 11
    Larian - 8

    I will resolve the first round of combat at Midnight tomorrow (or a bit earlier if everyone posts by then). Also I intend to make all further maps I post for this encounter using a simple grid, without the background art. I will attempt to shade boxes to match the map as closely as I can. This will let me actually "show" where your characters are, and also show any movements and such.

  • #5
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)



    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Windsor, CT
    Posts
    3,113

    Ignore pathfinderq1
    My communities:

    Safely shrouded in the folds of her swirling black cloak, Tyrla eyed the strangers warily- she knew Siobhan was far more adept at handling the diplomatic pleasantries that usually accompanied such random meetings on the roads of the Vale.

    From the shadows of her hood, perhaps the strangers might see the faint glow of red witchlight from her eyes as she looked them over. But then her attention was drawn further afield, to the lurking menace in the woods above them. She hissed wordlessly, then spoke to the newly-met travelers. "I hope these aren't friends of yours..." And even as she spoke, she raised one arm and pointed a gloved hand at the nearest creature- and a blast of energy flew across the intervening space.

    OOC: Since I didn't buy a mount, Tyrla is probably afoot, at least for now. She would have See the Unseen active (as the darkvision portion, at least lasts 24 hours- she would invoke that each morning for the day). She will fire off an Eldritch blast at the Hobgoblin located at Q14. Looks like he's inside 30 feet, for Point blank shot- so 3d6 ranged touch, at +7 (+8 if PB applies).

  • #6
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    Zoycitenega's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    I believe it's called Earth.
    Posts
    177

    Ignore Zoycitenega
    Siobhan Lilend - Cleric 5 - HP: 26 - AC: 24(tch 12, ff 23) - Spells: 5| 4 +1 | 3 | 2 +1

    If the hobgoblins are wielding sharp pointy things(or heavy crushing things), Siobhan raises up her warhammer, shouting "Kord grant me strength!" As she does this, her fist glows blue, and the blue travels up her arms as she casts Bull Strength.

    If, however, they look relatively harmless, she will attempt to reason with them.

  • #7
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Arkhandus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    6,416

    Ignore Arkhandus
    My communities:

    Warren, the halfling

    Once Warren notices the glint of armored figures surrounding the group, he shouts "An ambush! Spread out!" and proceeds to dash northeast. The halfling fellow goes east around the other traveling trio, carefully juking between each of the larger folk, and then proceeds northeast along the road, not wanting to be caught in the middle of the ambush.

    Like dust kicked up by his feet pounding the dirt, a small cloud of shadows rises to fold around the small man, drifting about like strands of silk, obscuring his position. Almost unseen amidst this rising veil, a short sword is whisked out of its sheath and into the halfling's right hand.

    (our groups are rather mixed and clustered together at our starting positions..... double-move, 3 squares east, 3 squares north, and another 2 squares east; drawing his short sword along the way but not until he's passed the other trio of adventurers, so as not to provoke the strangers. Child of Shadow stance active, 20% miss chance against him this round from supernatural concealment.)

  • #8
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Redclaw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Eureka, CA
    Posts
    3,039

    Ignore Redclaw

    Larian--Transmuter 5--HP: 25--AC:18 (tch 18, ff 14)--f+2, r+5, w+4

    The tall elf looks at the other group of adventurers with some level of suspicion as he realizes they are under attack. He wonders breifly if they are part of the ambush, having drawn himself and his friends in by posing as travellers, and is slow to act while determining their allegiance. Then he sees the tiefling launch a blast of energy from her hand (knowledge arcana check +12?), and decides to act under the assumption that they are, in fact, allies.
    With that determination, he launches into action. He pulls a small shaving of root out of his belt pouchwith one hand, and a small metal rod out of his robe with the other, then with a quick gesture he intones a word, Celeritas.

    OOC- My plan with Larian is to use my rod of extend to cast mage armor every morning, which should carry the spell through the day (10 hours).
    This round he casts Haste, using the rod of extend, on himself, Warren, Siobhan, Gurguannin and Avril (sorry pathfinder, next level I can get everyone). If Warren has moved too far to get him and everyone else in the effect, target Tyrla instead of Warren. For those affected, you get +1 AC, +1 to reflex saves, your speed goes up by 30' and you get an extra attack at your full BAB if you use the full attack action.


    spells
    spells left
    0-read magic, detect magic, detect magic
    1-feather fall, color spray, true strike, magic weapon
    2-see invisibility, hypnotic pattern, scorching ray, bull's strength
    3-dispell magic, fireball

    spells active
    Mage Armor --whatever's left of 10 hours since we started travelling
    Haste--10 rounds
    Last edited by Redclaw; Tuesday, 11th September, 2007 at 09:40 PM.

  • #9
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    Pinotage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,413

    Ignore Pinotage
    My communities:

    Avril - Human Druid - hp 36/36 - AC 18 - Spot +11 - Listen +11
    Scarlet - Riding Dog - hp 30/30 - AC 24 - Spot +5 - Listen +5


    Avril greeted the arrival of the trio of adventurers with mixed trepidation and ethusiasm. Anything to liven up the day, but then the quality of that 'liven' was the thing she didn't look forward to. It didn't take long for her to establish that this was probably not a group that wished them any ill will, although Scaret had always been the one that trusted strangers less. She bent down to soothe the tension in her companion, scratching it behind the neck in a friendly manner.

    Despite the apparant ease of the two groups towards each other, the initial blast of energy from one of them made her jump. It took her a split second to realise that there was danger. How she had missed it was quite beyond her, but perhaps the boredom of the day had made her lax.

    No sooner had she spotted the enemies hiding in the undergrowth did she point a finger at the closest one to the west, urging on her dog to attack it. She sprinted after the dog, taking cover near the sloped wall of the road, and crouching down for good measure. The hail of arrows was bound to come. Boosting her defenses, a sprig of holly and some magical incantations later, and both her and her companion felt their skins tighten.

    OOC: Handle Scarlet as a free action to attack creature at H18 (Handle Animal +12 vs DC 10). Scarlet moves to H17 and attacks H18. Attack: +6. Damage: 1d6+4. Avril moves to H16 and falls prone. She readies her shield as she moves. Once prone (+4 AC vs. ranged attacks) she casts Barkskin and shares it with Scarlet.

    Spells Active:

    Barkskin (Avril and Scarlet, +2 Natural Armor, 50 min.)

    Spells Cast:

    Barkskin

  • #10
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Creamsteak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Nowhere.
    Posts
    8,947

    Ignore Creamsteak
    My communities:

    Initiative Order
    Siobhan - 19
    Warren - 17
    Tyrla - 17
    Avril - 12
    Gurguannin - 12 (not sure about what feats you have?)
    Hobgoblins - 11
    Larian - 8

    Symbols
    L - Larian
    T - Tyrla
    W - Warren
    A - Avril
    S - Siobhan
    G - Gurguannin
    H - Hobgoblin

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoycitenega
    Siobhan Lilend - Cleric 5 - HP: 26 - AC: 24(tch 12, ff 23) - Spells: 5| 4 +1 | 3 | 2 +1

    If the hobgoblins are wielding sharp pointy things(or heavy crushing things), Siobhan raises up her warhammer, shouting "Kord grant me strength!" As she does this, her fist glows blue, and the blue travels up her arms as she casts Bull Strength.

    If, however, they look relatively harmless, she will attempt to reason with them.
    The creatures already seem to have bows drawn and are leveling them on you so I assume you do the first action. Everything is successful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhandus
    Once Warren notices the glint of armored figures surrounding the group, he shouts "An ambush! Spread out!" and proceeds to dash northeast. The halfling fellow goes east around the other traveling trio, carefully juking between each of the larger folk, and then proceeds northeast along the road, not wanting to be caught in the middle of the ambush.

    Like dust kicked up by his feet pounding the dirt, a small cloud of shadows rises to fold around the small man, drifting about like strands of silk, obscuring his position. Almost unseen amidst this rising veil, a short sword is whisked out of its sheath and into the halfling's right hand.

    (our groups are rather mixed and clustered together at our starting positions..... double-move, 3 squares east, 3 squares north, and another 2 squares east; drawing his short sword along the way but not until he's passed the other trio of adventurers, so as not to provoke the strangers. Child of Shadow stance active, 20% miss chance against him this round from supernatural concealment.)
    Everything is successful.

    Quote Originally Posted by pathfinderq1
    Safely shrouded in the folds of her swirling black cloak, Tyrla eyed the strangers warily- she knew Siobhan was far more adept at handling the diplomatic pleasantries that usually accompanied such random meetings on the roads of the Vale.

    From the shadows of her hood, perhaps the strangers might see the faint glow of red witchlight from her eyes as she looked them over. But then her attention was drawn further afield, to the lurking menace in the woods above them. She hissed wordlessly, then spoke to the newly-met travelers. "I hope these aren't friends of yours..." And even as she spoke, she raised one arm and pointed a gloved hand at the nearest creature- and a blast of energy flew across the intervening space.

    OOC: Since I didn't buy a mount, Tyrla is probably afoot, at least for now. She would have See the Unseen active (as the darkvision portion, at least lasts 24 hours- she would invoke that each morning for the day). She will fire off an Eldritch blast at the Hobgoblin located at Q14. Looks like he's inside 30 feet, for Point blank shot- so 3d6 ranged touch, at +7 (+8 if PB applies).
    You fire off the eldritch blast (point blank shot does apply) and you almost hit your target. (3 rolled, +8 = 11) striking the hobgoblins cover instead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinotage
    Avril - Human Druid - hp 36/36 - AC 18 - Spot +11 - Listen +11
    Scarlet - Riding Dog - hp 30/30 - AC 24 - Spot +5 - Listen +5


    Avril greeted the arrival of the trio of adventurers with mixed trepidation and ethusiasm. Anything to liven up the day, but then the quality of that 'liven' was the thing she didn't look forward to. It didn't take long for her to establish that this was probably not a group that wished them any ill will, although Scaret had always been the one that trusted strangers less. She bent down to soothe the tension in her companion, scratching it behind the neck in a friendly manner.

    Despite the apparant ease of the two groups towards each other, the initial blast of energy from one of them made her jump. It took her a split second to realise that there was danger. How she had missed it was quite beyond her, but perhaps the boredom of the day had made her lax.

    No sooner had she spotted the enemies hiding in the undergrowth did she point a finger at the closest one to the west, urging on her dog to attack it. She sprinted after the dog, taking cover near the sloped wall of the road, and crouching down for good measure. The hail of arrows was bound to come. Boosting her defenses, a sprig of holly and some magical incantations later, and both her and her companion felt their skins tighten.

    OOC: Handle Scarlet as a free action to attack creature at H18 (Handle Animal +12 vs DC 10). Scarlet moves to H17 and attacks H18. Attack: +6. Damage: 1d6+4. Avril moves to H16 and falls prone. She readies her shield as she moves. Once prone (+4 AC vs. ranged attacks) she casts Barkskin and shares it with Scarlet.

    Spells Active:

    Barkskin (Avril and Scarlet, +2 Natural Armor, 50 min.)

    Spells Cast:

    Barkskin
    Scarlet moves into position, and despite the disadvantage of terrain manages to land a painful hit against the Hobgoblin. (23 to hit, 6 damage dealt).

    DM running Gurguannin

    Gurguannin rushes to the nearest hobgoblin, activating his rage, and attacks the goblin at S16. He lands a blow with his greataxe, dealing 14 points of damage. This is enough to knock the hobgoblin unconcious.

    DM running Hobgoblins

    The hobgoblin at H18 drops his bow as a free action and draws his longsword as a standard action. He attacks Scarlet, but doesn't land any meaningful hit.

    The hobgoblin at F15 fires a shot at Warren. He misses completely.

    The hobgoblin at R14 moves 2 spaces up for 4 spaces of movement. He then fires once (through the cover) at the barbarian that just took down one of his allies. He misses.

    The hobgoblin at M11 fires at Tyrla, but misses as well.

    The hobgoblin at M20 fires at Siobhan when he thinks his back is turned, but Siobhan easily avoids the arrow.

    - - - - - - - - - -




    Larian, since you act next after the Hobgoblins, I'll let you decide if you want to change your action here since most of the characters moved off. You can also post your next action (which would be at the end of the next round) if you want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ambush.gif  

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 127 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. (CSRHoD) Creamsteak's Red Hand of Doom II [IC]
      By Creamsteak in forum Playing the Game
      Replies: 629
      Last Post: Tuesday, 19th January, 2010, 03:52 PM
    2. (CSRHoD) CS's Red Hand of Doom [OOC]
      By Creamsteak in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 603
      Last Post: Wednesday, 6th January, 2010, 12:02 AM
    3. (CSRHoD) Creamsteak's Red Hand of Doom [RG]
      By Creamsteak in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: Thursday, 23rd April, 2009, 07:32 PM
    4. Red Hand of Doom
      By DerHauptman in forum Talking the Talk
      Replies: 42
      Last Post: Sunday, 5th November, 2006, 04:17 PM
    5. Red Hand of Doom
      By John Cooper in forum Fan Reviews
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: Tuesday, 13th June, 2006, 12:57 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •