New Design: Wizards...

TheArcane

First Post
Meh. When I read the first line about the implements I was pretty excited, it sounded new and interesting. By the time I finished reading I was a lot less.

First of all, it sounds like it means the death of the spellbook, which I think at the very least fits beautifully with the wizard flavor of rigorous studying, which seems to still be intact.
Then again, maybe the Tome is the new spellbook, but it isn't likely since it seems tied also to combat enchantment spells, at least some of which must be per encounter/at will.

Second, it sounds rather complex in contrast to WOTC intent to cut down on magic items. A simple staff as a focus would do just fine, it's mechanically simpler and iconic enough. Not in our game! Every self respecting wizard simply must have a staff, a wand, an orb and a tome!

Third, I'll be very disappointed if indeed this, IMHO, minor detail is what sets wizards apart from other arcane casters, that out of all the wizard flavor what makes them unique is that they can get a +2 DC or something from a piece of wood and others can't.

hong

WotC's bitch
Magic saturates the world and all the extraordinary realms beyond the world. Magic is an intrinsic force present in literally all things. Magic transforms and alters the natural world, sometimes actively and suddenly, other times subtly and over long centuries.

"It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together."

This arcane energy source is difficult to understand and even tougher to master. Those who do so through years of study, practice, and apprenticeship to accomplished masters are called wizards duct tape Jedi.

Hmmm.

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
However, holding the associated implement grants a benefit to the wizard’s attack that is just like the benefit the warrior gains when attacking an enemy with a magic sword.
This bit makes "+6 wands" make sense, and also jives with the flipping of saving throws over to static defenses: When casting a fireball, the wizard makes a caster check and compares it to his targets' reflex defenses. When casting dominate person, he makes a caster check against his target's will defense.

Sadrik said:
I think the psion is going to kill the enchanter and take his stuff. If he doesn't, he should have.[/quote
I seriouly hope not. Enchantments and "bewitching" are a classic magical effect, probably the single most common form of magic in folktales, aside from summoning and possibly shapeshifting.

I hope that psions are differentiated not by what they can do, but by how they do it. Having both enchanters and telepaths works well in 3e.

Sir Brennen

Legend
TheArcane said:
Second, it sounds rather complex in contrast to WOTC intent to cut down on magic items. A simple staff as a focus would do just fine, it's mechanically simpler and iconic enough. Not in our game! Every self respecting wizard simply must have a staff, a wand, an orb and a tome!
It sounds like items are intended to be used in pairs, just like a fighter's sword and shield. It doesn't sound like a sane wizard will try to juggle all four.

FireLance

Legend
Sir Brennen said:
It sounds like items are intended to be used in pairs, just like a fighter's sword and shield. It doesn't sound like a sane wizard will try to juggle all four.
Unless she's a marilith. :p

hong

WotC's bitch
"There was something formless and perfect
before the universe was born.
It is serene. Empty.
Solitary. Unchanging.
Infinite. Eternally present.
It is the mother of the universe.
For lack of a better name,
I call it the Tao.

It flows through all things,
inside and outside, and returns
to the origin of all things."

breschau

First Post
Anybody else's ears perk up at the interesting phrasing used:

Wizards Article said:
Thus wizards are rarely without wand and staff, orb and tome, or some other combination thereof.

"Or combination thereof. Wand and staff, as a pair. Orb and tome, as a pair... or some other combination thereof.

That sounds like you might only get to pick two of the four. That would go a long way towards the major minor schools bit in the silos blog.

You have one implement for your major, and another implement for your minor. You have a combination of the four implements.

"Or some other combination thereof..."

Stalker0

Legend
The only one I don't like is the tome. It seems weird to me to have a wizard hold a book out and get power out of it, or read it in combat.

I would have preferred an athame or something of that nature.

But other than that, its definately a neat idea, and certainly a big change from what we have now.

Glyfair

Explorer
breschau said:
That sounds like you might only get to pick two of the four. That would go a long way towards the major minor schools bit in the silos blog.

Or each one is a class ability, talent, feat, etc. You start with two and perhaps can gain the others later.

helium3

First Post
This could just be the way they're adding in new magical items, not a description of how the wizard class has changed.

Remove ads