Should Epic Level book be considered "core" for FR?

Should Epic Level book be considered "core" for Forgotten Realms?

• Yes

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • Why can't Forgotten Realms max out at 20th level like Greyhawk?

Votes: 11 15.7%

TBoarder

Explorer
The Epic Level Campaign book, due out in June (I believe), is supposed to include updated write ups for major Forgotten Realms NPCs, using the new rules. According to the Epic Level FAQ, WotC is still not certain if all FR books are going to use the rules from the Epic Level book or not. So, do you think future FR books should use the Epic Level rules from the FR Hardcover, or should they use the updated rules from the ELCB?

My vote - I think they should use the updated Epic Level rules. WotC is marketing FR as a "prestige" setting. They've put a TON of work into making the world playable again. I'd prefer for them to use the most up to date Epic Level rules. I don't mind paying the extra $40 for another book, especially if the rules are going to be an improvment over the Epic Level sidebar in the FR book.

JDeMobray

First Post
I guess I just don't see the point. I've been playing a Forgotten Realms campaign for years and never had a use for characters above level 20. (Only a very few NPC's in our campaigns are even at level 20).

Chris Coulter

First Post
I say no.

The high level NPCs cast long enough shadows over the PC of the FR. Keep 'em down, I say.

However, as the FRCS mentions the Epic Level book directly (p.289), I think it will become core for the setting.

Wolfspirit

First Post
Heh, if for some strange reason I manage to have a party get to level 20+, I think I'd rather use the Worhiper Points System (Allthough I guess this is speculative since neither one are out, allthough I'm going to stick my neck out on this one :p)

Oh, yeah. I'm not a fan of a CR45 that's not a god :p

Crothian

First Post
No, you shouldn't force people to play high level stuff and that's what you'd do if it was core. Many, ,many people aren't used to high level stuff. They need to see it for themsleves at their own pace instead of haing it forced on them.

TBoarder

Explorer
Crothian said:
No, you shouldn't force people to play high level stuff and that's what you'd do if it was core. Many, ,many people aren't used to high level stuff. They need to see it for themsleves at their own pace instead of haing it forced on them.

I don't get this... how is making a book a core book for one world "forcing" people to play high level stuff? Isn't having Epic Level rules IN the FR hardcover "forcing" it on them as well then? I think that if you're going to include Epic Level in the campaign like FR does, why not use the better set of rules? I just don't see where the "forcing" comes into play, that's all.

Crothian

First Post
TBoarder said:

I don't get this... how is making a book a core book for one world "forcing" people to play high level stuff? Isn't having Epic Level rules IN the FR hardcover "forcing" it on them as well then? I think that if you're going to include Epic Level in the campaign like FR does, why not use the better set of rules? I just don't see where the "forcing" comes into play, that's all.

From the people who play d20 that I've talked to, they are now starting to realize that PCs can advance beyond 10th and it will still be fun. Many people felt that was a probably with earlier editions. Many people are just starting to get comfortible with playing in the upper teens level wise. By including Epic Rules in the Core, many will feel they need to use the Epic rules because it's part of the core. That's the forcing I'm talking about.

It does sound like the new Epic rules will be much better then those presented in FRCS. But as it is now only the core 3 plus the FRCS is all someone has to worry about.

EOL

First Post
1- I would agree with others 20+ level NPC's and PC's are a big part of FR and as such the better set of rules should be used.

2- My big question is whether epic level rules will make it into the SRD?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases