Forgotten Realms: History of the Realms

tarcil

Explorer
I just finally finished reading this, and I am very interested in why/how the realms is going to change, and is this going to be the direction of the 4th edition D&D/Forgotten realms. For all those who have not read this, I am not posting the spoilers that the team, INCLUDING MR. Greenwood himself, placed into the time line of this book.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Just got the book today, and the lore is really top notch, especially the inserted portions of IC text, etc.

However the fact that virtually all of the interior art is recycled from previous 3.x books was both a shock and a letdown. It cheapens an otherwise awesome book.

You can hide spoilers in spoiler tags.

Is the book already out? I've only heard reports on what is in it.

I don't know why they advanced the timeline so far, but killing off Mystra was a great move. It might be the only good move in the new timeline, but it's a keeper.

sckeener

First Post
To those that have it....is it worth it if everything is going to get tossed by 4th ed?

I'm having a hard time getting excited about the book because of the whole points of light change. I know I'll eventually get the book, but I'll probably wait for a good deal before I do it.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
sckeener said:
To those that have it....is it worth it if everything is going to get tossed by 4th ed?

Here's the thoughts from a 3.5 grognard...

* The book is a great swan song for my Forgotten Realms. I'll use it as a source of inspiration for adventure hooks for years to come, and just ignore the last entry on the last quarter-page. :)

* With regard to that question above, the books hints (heavily IMO) that "the keys to the future are in the past". So I suppose if someone digs deep enough and takes psycho notes they can get a glimpse into what wreckage WotC will unleash next year here.

* As for the art, I don't mind. At least it's good. Overall the book is gorgeous to behold.

* Once "points of light" comes out I suppose this will still be a place to hold lore of "ancient knowledge" and where to place ruins you want to sprinkle in the "new realms".

-DM Jeff

paradox42

First Post
For those who didn't know, this (being a fairly obvious "prep the world for the new edition" thing) has been widely discussed in the 4E forums. The original thread goes to 7 pages so far, and much mention of info revealed there shows up in other threads on the 4th Edition Realms.

The_Warlock

Explorer
Mine arrived yesterday from Amazon, and even with the art re-use, I've found it to be a beautiful book, and a great capstone purchase. You get your history for the setting, with the various "records" or personal recollections of specific events, and it covers an immense timeline of published events.

The only incorrect color plate appears to be of an Eberron Warforged undergoing magical repairs but with a subtitle connecting it to the death of a dragon who was trying to make sure people understood what he was trying to accomplish in life. Whoops.

If you are someone who will go forward with the 4E Realms, well it gives you a teaser as to what is going to happen. If not, it's a great historical resource for fans of the setting as it stands. Like DM_Jeff, I'm just ignoring the last few entries, as I take my home FR campaign forward with the established idioms, tropes, organizations, and characters than my players and I enjoy.

But either way, it is a fabulous book if you like the setting. I want to find a way to protect the external cover while still being able to look at it...it's a great vista-type piece of artwork.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The_One_Warlock said:
The only incorrect color plate appears to be of an Eberron Warforged undergoing magical repairs but with a subtitle connecting it to the death of a dragon who was trying to make sure people understood what he was trying to accomplish in life.
Clearly he was trying to accomplish a plane shift to Eberron.

boerngrim

Explorer
The interior art

Hi
I'm sad to say I was dissappointed with the interior art in this book. This was supposed to be the capstone to The Realms for the 3.x era. The art recycled from other Realms books and even the other nonsetting specific books didn't bother me too much, but the afore mentioned warforged, a cleric of Pelor in place of a cleric of Lathander and a cleric of the Sovereign Host from Eberron on another page just look so out of place. I feel that this book and we the consumer deserved better.
Thanks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases