Is the Doctor's name really Doctor Who?

warlord

First Post
So I'm watching "the girl in the fireplace" and Rinette refers to Doctor 10 as Dr. Who which got me wondering is his name really Doctor Who? and as a sidenote which episode of Torchwood does John Borrowman make out with Alexis Denisoff in?

Kesh

First Post
Right. One of the basic concepts of the show is that we don't know his name. He's just "The Doctor." In one of the first episodes he introduced himself as "Doctor Smith." But, when a character called him by that name he responded, "Who? Doctor who?"

In the show, there's really no references to that except for the "Whomobile" that showed up for one of the Doctors.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
warlord said:
and as a sidenote which episode of Torchwood does John Borrowman make out with Alexis Denisoff in?

Nothing in season one. A quick Google search reveals what looks to be an upcoming Season 2 episode with Denisof and James Marsters, which is probably what you're looking for.

Huw

First Post
I think the time lords either had titles, pseudonyms (like Susan) or remained nameless until "Omega" was introduced in The Three Doctors - and that's arguably a title as well. During Tom Baker's time, a whole bunch of time lords were introduced with names, like Romana, Morbius, Goth and Rassilon.

No telling what the new series will do with time lord continuity.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Mistwell said:
And now we have "Master" in addition to "Doctor".

Now? We've had him for a long, long time! We've also had the following timelords with similar naming styles:

The Meddling Monk
The Rani
The Inquisitor
The Valeyard
The War Chief

And a whole buch of timelords with totally different naming styles (various Chancellors, Omega, Drax, etc.)

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I seem to recall reading somewhere that he once said that his name was unpronouncabe? Given that Romana's name is actually much longer (I could look it up, but I'm lazy) that may be more-or-less true.

Remove ads