Gygaxian Monsters

kenobi65

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Those are great illustrations of goblinesque little fairy folk. Had I had that picture on hand when kobolds were put into the MM, that's is what I'd have passed along to DCSIII.

So, it would seem that the entire "kobolds thinking they're of the blood of dragons" can be traced back to a miscommunication in an art order in the late 1970s. :D

rossik

Explorer
kenobi65 said:
So, it would seem that the entire "kobolds thinking they're of the blood of dragons" can be traced back to a miscommunication in an art order in the late 1970s. :D

i thoght that the dragon relation was a 3ed thing, wasnt it?

JeffB

Legend
Col_Pladoh said:
:lol:

Those are great illustrations of goblinesque little fairy folk. Had I had that picture on hand when kobolds were put into the MM, that's is what I'd have passed along to DCSIII.

Thanks,
Gary

:D Well I've always enjoyed David's "incorrect" picture, and there's a nice take on it by Jeff Dee somewhere in one of the old 1E books I used to own (Rogues Gallery, IIRC) that is my fave "little dog/reptile men" kobold.

That said, I've always liked the "folklore" aesthetic approach to many monsters (as in your LA game e.g.), and I'd have no issue with Kobolds having looked like that illo throughout D&D's history. :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
kenobi65 said:
Or more likely someone trying to change them for the sake of change.

Kobolds as originally concieved were based on folklore as noted...dragons' kin indeed :mad:

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JeffB said:
:D Well I've always enjoyed David's "incorrect" picture, and there's a nice take on it by Jeff Dee somewhere in one of the old 1E books I used to own (Rogues Gallery, IIRC) that is my fave "little dog/reptile men" kobold.

That said, I've always liked the "folklore" aesthetic approach to many monsters (as in your LA game e.g.), and I'd have no issue with Kobolds having looked like that illo throughout D&D's history. :)
:cool:

Who can argue with personal preference? All GMs change whatever doesn't suit them in rules, settings, and modules :lol:

Cheerio,
Gary

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
I confess it was my decision to give them wings. It was to make them more mobile and thus more dangerous.

Cheers,
Gary

I like 'em winged, too. By the by, there're winged manticores in The Guns of Avalon, second book in Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber, from the 70s. Have you ever read those books? They're fantastic, lots of fascinating stuff.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases