Dungeon-light campaign-length adventures

Aeric

Explorer
A friend of mine is looking to run a D&D campaign in the near future, and he wants to use published adventures. However, he has found that most such adventures are centered around dungeons. In order to help him out, I'm trying to compile a list of modules which are not dungeon-centric. A single, adventure-path style campaign book would be ideal, but those are few and far between.

Thanks!

frankthedm

First Post
Aeric said:
A friend of mine is looking to run a D&D campaign in the near future, and he wants to use published adventures. However, he has found that most such adventures are centered around dungeons.
And some even contain dragons ;)

Several of the AEG "Adventure Keep" modules were pretty good about staying above ground. I've used "Servants of the Bloodmoon" and "Kurishans Garden" and with some judicious rewriting of the back story merged them into my overall world to great effect. The Bloodmoon are now a significant factor IMC. I know there have been many people who'd buy a dozen of them and use them as the foundation of their campaign.

there's like 3 dozen of them. They did a compilation of them (Adventure I & II) that I think you can still find on alderac.com. Or you can get them as PDFs for a buck each at DriveThru (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=90_3874).

War of the Burning Sky is dungeon-lite, and is designed to handle different campaign lengths and start- or end-points. It focuses on a magical war that sees the heroes in the role of special operatives, trying to rally an alliance against the overwhelming magical might of the Ragesian Empire. You can start at 1st level and go all the way through 20th or higher, but the adventures are arced so that you could start (or end) at the 4th or 8th adventure instead.

Want a low-level intelligence mission? Go from 1st to 8th level in the first four adventures, stealing military plans, getting them to the resistance, and then playing a prominent role in a major battle.

Want some more mid-level questing? Go from 7th to 16th level in adventures four through eight, where the heroes start by helping a nation hold back the first assault by Ragesia, and then they set out to recover the assassinated Emperor, raise him, and strike back against the usurper.

Want high-level world-shattering events? Go from 15th to 20th level in the eighth through twelfth adventures, starting with a mission to destroy a super-weapon, only to realize that the evil empress is being aided by nightmare beasts from the underdark in an effort to scorch the earth.

What level is he thinking of running? More details of the campaign saga can be found at the link in my sig.

(And if he does decide to do something else, Red Hand of Doom was pretty fun when I played it.)

Aeric

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
War of the Burning Sky is dungeon-lite, and is designed to handle different campaign lengths and start- or end-points. It focuses on a magical war that sees the heroes in the role of special operatives, trying to rally an alliance against the overwhelming magical might of the Ragesian Empire. You can start at 1st level and go all the way through 20th or higher, but the adventures are arced so that you could start (or end) at the 4th or 8th adventure instead.

Want a low-level intelligence mission? Go from 1st to 8th level in the first four adventures, stealing military plans, getting them to the resistance, and then playing a prominent role in a major battle.

Want some more mid-level questing? Go from 7th to 16th level in adventures four through eight, where the heroes start by helping a nation hold back the first assault by Ragesia, and then they set out to recover the assassinated Emperor, raise him, and strike back against the usurper.

Want high-level world-shattering events? Go from 15th to 20th level in the eighth through twelfth adventures, starting with a mission to destroy a super-weapon, only to realize that the evil empress is being aided by nightmare beasts from the underdark in an effort to scorch the earth.

What level is he thinking of running? More details of the campaign saga can be found at the link in my sig.

(And if he does decide to do something else, Red Hand of Doom was pretty fun when I played it.)

I'm pretty sure he'll want to run something beginning at a low level; that's just his style.

War of the Burning Sky, eh? I'll have to forward him the link and see what he thinks. I'm hoping to play in whatever he runs, so I'm trying to keep myself blissfully ignorant of any plotlines.

Thanks!

DM_Jeff

Explorer
kigmatzomat said:
Several of the AEG "Adventure Keep" modules were pretty good about staying above ground. They did a compilation of them (Adventure I & II) that I think you can still find on alderac.com. Or you can get them as PDFs for a buck each at DriveThru (http://enworld.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=90_3874).

Seconded (and not just because I did the updates :) ) but each adventure also has 2-3 lite hooks linking the adventure with a couple others in the book to make it more like an ongoing adventure path.

-DM Jeff

skinnydwarf

Explorer
Aeric said:
A friend of mine is looking to run a D&D campaign in the near future, and he wants to use published adventures. However, he has found that most such adventures are centered around dungeons. In order to help him out, I'm trying to compile a list of modules which are not dungeon-centric. A single, adventure-path style campaign book would be ideal, but those are few and far between.

Thanks!

Am I the only one who read this post as Aeric saying his friend wanted to run a D&D game SET in the near future, and was having trouble finding published adventures that would work? I was thinking, "You're having a hard time finding D&D adventures set in the 21st century? No kidding." I was surprised you found near future dungeon-centric adventures (set in the near future), and thought of XCrawl.

I need to bone up on my reading comprehension skills. Or get some more caffeine.

Remove ads