D&D 4E 4e tiefling art vs. previous edition tiefling art?

I don't really like how the tieflings have been drawn in 4e, they do too much of an emphasis on big horns.

Now granted I'm a PS fan, so I'm biased about favouring every tiefling that DiTerlizzi drew which didn't always have horns, and if they did it was tiny. But the 4e art on tieflings it just looks ridiculous.

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
Kobold Avenger said:
I don't really like how the tieflings have been drawn in 4e, they do too much of an emphasis on big horns.

Now granted I'm a PS fan, so I'm biased about favouring every tiefling that DiTerlizzi drew which didn't always have horns, and if they did it was tiny. But the 4e art on tieflings it just looks ridiculous.
I find myself in complete agreement. One of the DMs in my group (we swap around, as many do) also has a world which relies at least somewhat heavily on tieflings with minor fiendish features. One such tiefling, with a devil's tail and rock-hard fingernails only, helped save the world.

Dammit, I'm really worried now.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Kobold Avenger said:

Predictably, I like it. I appreciate the 'no half measures' approach the design team is taking on these guys. You want horns? Here are some freakin' horns.

But then again, I couldn't give a tinker's dam about how they did it in Planescape. In fact, I'm still a little pissed they're using the lame-sounding name "Tiefling' at all.

frankthedm

First Post
Kobold Avenger said:
Now granted I'm a PS fan, so I'm biased about favouring every tiefling that DiTerlizzi drew which didn't always have horns, and if they did it was tiny.
tlinget5.jpg

Those are not tiny. Not huge, but defiantly a significant size, almost like a set of hand holds.

frankthedm said:
tlinget5.jpg

Those are not tiny. Not huge, but defiantly a significant size, almost like a set of hand holds.
Anyone got a scan of Zena the NG Tiefling Ranger and Factor of the Godsmen from Factol's Manifesto? I remember her horns being rather on the small side.

Kobold Avenger said:

On the other hand, it could be what you're looking at are high-level tiefling adventurers, who have been taking their racial talents / feats / abilities.

Perhaps one of the side effects of such powers are that the tiefling's otherwordly characteristics are increased (such that a level 1 tiefling might have small horns and no tail, but could develop large horns and a tail by level 10).

WayneLigon

Adventurer
fuindordm said:
Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "love handles".

OK, that was pretty darn funny. I'll assume they'll be very divergant; I doubt any two tieflings will look alike. My prediction would be that some have very minor or non-existant demonic features and some will have much more pronounced features, especially given what's running through their tainted blood.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases