D&D 4E 4e tiefling art vs. previous edition tiefling art?

Rechan

Adventurer
I like the more subdued look, rather than the 4e look. A tiefling that can, well, pass as human if they tried.

The 4e version looks like The Lord of Darkness from Legend was their daddy, as opposed to their great great great great grandfather.

BBQ

First Post
Not all tieflings have horns. Tieflings are as varied and odd-looking as the fiends whose blood flows in their veins. If you recall Haer'Dalis from Baldur's Gate 2 or Annah from Planescape: Torment, both of them were tieflings. Haer'Dalis had wierd slits in his chin, copper skin and blue hair. Annah looked mainly human, aside from the tail. Beyond that, I've seen players who enjoyed tieflings who had vestigial wings, cloven hooves, fangs... the choices of appearance are up to you. The tieflings presented in the new artwork are iconic conceptions of these characters, not a pure template to follow dogmatically.

Aloïsius

First Post
As I said, I think 4e Tieflings are NOT the tieflings we knew. They are probably a true race, rather than strange human with dubious ancestry.

Jhaelen

First Post
I prefer the old look. I always imagined tieflings to be _subtly_ different from normal humans. Something you could easily hide if you wanted to. I really hope they at least get the fluff right.

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
Jhaelen said:
I prefer the old look. I always imagined tieflings to be _subtly_ different from normal humans. Something you could easily hide if you wanted to. I really hope they at least get the fluff right.
The issue that I have with this is that so many of the races are only subtly different from normal humans. I'm not asking for our core races to be Humans, Warforged, Thri-keen, and Gibbering Mouthers, but I'd kinda appreciate having more to work with that human, skinny human, half-skinny human, human child, other human child, stocky human, and football player.

Dragonbait

Explorer
Re: The curvey tiefling: DiTerlizzie tried to draw atypical and rarely imagined versions of the monsters for the 3ed MM. Not a great decision when those images would establish what people picture as the norm for the monster. The treent was young looking, the aasimar was frail and old, the tiefling looked like "she ate too many bon-bons" in DiTerlizzie's own words, and so on. There is a much more lean version of her in one of the old Planescape books.

Personally I always preferred tieflings to have more obvious fiendish traits than a human, but I REALLY like how they and the aasimars varied in appearance considerably. Just like the Genasi.

Merlin the Tuna said:
The issue that I have with this is that so many of the races are only subtly different from normal humans. I'm not asking for our core races to be Humans, Warforged, Thri-keen, and Gibbering Mouthers, but I'd kinda appreciate having more to work with that human, skinny human, half-skinny human, human child, other human child, stocky human, and football player.

seconded!

Anyways, put another vote down for thinking that they redesigned the 4ed tieflings and retconned their origins. I mean, they are a playing race and even if I may disagree with the idea, WoTC has typically established that all core playing races are the most numerous races.

Wow, there must be a heck of a lot of elf/human and orc/human whoopy going on to make that many halfbreeds!

Irda Ranger

First Post
Jhaelen said:
I always thought that the creepiest monsters on Buffy and the like were always the guys that looked normal ... and then they blinked, and you realized their eyelids were sideways.

That's what I want Tieflings to be.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases