Star Wars Saga

Crothian

First Post
With a D&D TPK we are jumping to Star Wars. I haven't been keeping up with the buzz on the new game and am wondering if there have been any issues with the new system or little tweaks people have found that it needs.

From personal experience, most of the "tweaks" I've seen are based around individual styles of play. I've been running Saga Edition largely unchanged since it came out, and there really haven't any glaringly broken issues that cropped up in my games, including a handful of con games using the rules strictly as is.

However, I do suggest grabbing the compiled errata from the WotC Star Wars forums. It's a sticky thread in the main discussion section that RavingDork has kindly put together for folks, including creating various downloadable documents with the errata.

One complaint I have seen frequently is that the majority of the feats currently available are predominantly combat-orientated, which can make things tough if you've got a player that want's a purely social, non-combat character. But again, that's a matter of individual play styles.

Crothian said:
With a D&D TPK we are jumping to Star Wars. I haven't been keeping up with the buzz on the new game and am wondering if there have been any issues with the new system or little tweaks people have found that it needs.
I haven't played it myself, but there are two house rules I liked (both regarding the skill system):
1) Only the base number of skills for your class are limited to the list of class skills. (Extras from feats - unless class bonus feats - or intelligence do not suffer this limitation)
2) When multiclassing, instead of selecting one of the 1st level class feats of your new class, you can take skill training in a class skill.
I think these house rules fixes most flexibility problems with the skill system, without getting out of line.

Otherwise, I suggest looking into the WotC Errata.

Some people noted that at early levels, Use the Force based powers are sometimes to powerful, since defenses are not at the level the skill is yet. At higher levels, this problem is partially reserved, but by then, most Force Users are probably strong melee fighters and don't have to rely on powers alone, while at early levels, you are only good at one thing.
(A positive result of these rules is that experiencend Jedi are more likely to engage in a Light Sabre Duel, just like in the movies.)

You should check out if that is also true in your game (warn the players that you're looking out for "abuses"/"imbalances" and consider changes) and if that is the case, you might want to implement counter measures.

(A possible fix for Force Grip might be that it requires Concentration -> require an Endurance Check, or that there is some kind of check the victim can make to stop the effect. Maybe also a Endurance check?
Force Push might be a bit harder, but I think a better tactical setup of NPCs can minimize this well. I don't know if other powers proved as problematic.*)

*) Note: I am not sure I got all the power names right, don't have the book at me.

nerfherder

Explorer
Crothian said:
As Donovan mentioned, the compiled eratta in this thread is invaluable: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=864328

I would never have figured out the official way that Ion weapons work without it!

Crothian

First Post
GlassJaw said:
I wanna hear about this! ;)

Wizard died from a Deck of Many Things pull. Ninja got a natural one on a save verse a lightning bolt. Cohort number one found a nasty trap the hard way and died. And the Dragon Shaman, Sorcerer who was really low on spells, and cohort number 2 made the wrong choice that lead them to a Black Dragon.

How have Destinies worked out for people? I really like the idea and would like to hear how they have been used.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Destinies have worked VERY well for us -- causing some people to pull out heroics they would NEVER try in D&D, such as jumping in front of a blaster bolt meant for a comerade or innocent.

The only real change I've made has been that Force Points cannot be used to atone for Dark Side points except between adventures, and then only one point per level. Otherwise, someone could bust off Dark side powers over and over again with no real threat of loss. I've also offered on-the-spot Dark Side Force Points to offer temptations in-game.

An issue I noticed over the past couple of sessions is the unbelievable power of the Wealth Talent for nobles. Over the course of five levels, a Noble with the Wealth Talent can gain 5,000 + 10,000 + 15,000 + 20,000 + 25,000 = 75,000 credits to use to bolster the party's equipment with. E-Webs, Droid add-ons, and Thermal Detonators here we come!!!

pawsplay

Hero
Skill Focus (UtF) is too darn good. Not game breaking, but it's a free ride for low level Jedi until moderate levels. Not because of the problems with Jedi tossing speeders around (although they can), but because of Block and Deflect. In my play experience, a 1st level Jedi went toe to toe with an ARC Commando because of his defenses.

It's still not clear to me if condition affects your threshold, and if so, whether unconscious counts as -5.

Force Disarm is a joke.

Crothian

First Post
Henry said:
Destinies have worked VERY well for us -- causing some people to pull out heroics they would NEVER try in D&D, such as jumping in front of a blaster bolt meant for a comerade or innocent.

What were some of them you all had? I think a few more examples for the PCs would benefit here.

pawsplay said:
It's still not clear to me if condition affects your threshold, and if so, whether unconscious counts as -5.
I remember reading a post by either Gary or Rodney that since your condition modifier affects your Defenses, and your damage threshold is based off Fort Def, then yes your condition mod affects your damage threshold.

Force Disarm is a joke.
Sadly, this is oh so true. Even for the Force-users with Skill Focus (UtF). Best thing to fix the power would be to waive the standard -10 penalty to disarm checks. Of course, I've just been using Move Object for the same effect in my games, which is probably why I never thought about the Force Disarm issue.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases