E6 Red Hand of Doom (OOC)

Eidalac

Explorer
Ok, I think we have enough players to get started once the sheets are in.

Characters

Game Thread

So, I've been reading about the Epic 6 d20 variant, and I've been wanting to run the Red Hand of Doom for some time now, and the two seem like a pretty good fit.

This is more of me 'thinking out loud' about running this, rather than a certainty of it. There are a lot of little bits to consider - the flavor of E6 and the level range of the campaign being the main ones.

But if anyone has any feed back on the idea or interest in participating, please let me know.

Setting: Scarred Lands. (You don't need to know anything about the setting, as this adventure uses a limited geographical area)

Stats: Pick a number from 1-20 and I'll give you an array to use (it's based on a 32 point buy, but it's not a direct buy). These will not include stat increases from levels or racial stats. The generated stats can be placed as you wished.

Starting Level: 4 +4 (level 4 with 4 extra feats (any you qualify for)). No LA.
Starting Exp: 16,000

Exp chart:
Code:
0xp 1st lvl
1000xp bonus feat
2000xp 2nd lvl
4000xp bonus feat
6000xp 3rd lvl
9000xp bonus feat
12000xp 4th lvl
16000xp bonus feat
20000xp 5th lvl
25000xp bonus feat
30000xp 6th lvl
+1 character point for each additional 1k xp

1 skill rank = 1 cp
skill trick = 2 cp
minor feat* = 3 cp
class feature** = 4 cp
major feat* = 5 cp

*What qualifies for a minor or a major feat is my call and mine alone to make.
**Exactly what class features you can buy this way is also at my digression.

Hit Points: You can take 75% max on all hd (including 1st) or you can roll on invisible castles (or you could have me roll for you if you wished) with max at 1st level.

Sources Allowed: I have/have access to most of the official 3.5 stuff, save for the race and 'envorment' series, all of which should be fine, but ask for anything else and make notes of sources. And please let me know what you are planning to use at the start, just in case it's something I don't have or have an issue with.

Gold: 1000 gp.

Magic Items: I'll assign magic items, as well as some special non-magical ones.

House Rules:
Rather than alignments, I prefer the allegiances system (from d20 modern, srd file on it is here). Anything that normally requires a certain alignment requires those same aspects in your allegiances.

Vitality and Wound Points. Pretty simple in that at 0 hp you have wound points equal to your con score and can only die at 0 wp. Note the changes to critical threat ranges on weapons and that I will track nonlethal damage.

[D].[/D]

The intelligent races of the Scarred Lands openly worship the eight major deities, and the sole remaining titan Denev, the Earth Mother. Though these deities have begotten many lesser demigods and goddesses who are also worshipped, these nine are venerated (or appeased) above all others.
[sblock=The Gods of Scarn]
[sblock=Corean (CORE-ay-ahn), the Avenger, the Champion (LG; Chivalry, Craftwork, Strength, Protection, Wisdom)]The very picture of the paladin's ideal, Corean is an unflinching crusader among the gods. He has the strength of mountains, and his smoky armor reflects his ties to the earth and the metals that run through it. He bears a longsword that he forged himself from scraps gleaned from a titan's forge - that of Golthagga, who was the first to taste the blade's edge. Corean is generally unwilling to compromise, although he generally errs on the side of compassion rather than on the side of law. Many people praise him as the ideal of virtue, although more people pay lip service to him than are willing to live up to his standards.
Domains: Fire, Good, Law, Protection, War Holy Symbol: Four longswords forming a compass rose[/sblock]

[sblock=Madriel (MA-dree-el), the Redeemer, the First Angel of Mercy (NG; Sun, Light, Sky, Redemption, Healing, Agriculture)]Madriel flies on wings of peacock feathers, an armored angel with a spear formed from the purest, whitest sunlight. Although relentless in her struggle against suffering (and particularly against her rival Belsameth), she is the most merciful and compassionate of the gods. Her temples are popular across the Scarred Lands, particularly in areas where people pray for fertility to return to their fields.
Domains: Air, Good, Healing, Plants, Sun Holy Symbol: Spear with a tassel of peacock feathers[/sblock]

[sblock=Tanil (TAH-nil), the Huntress (CG; Travel, Hunting, Forestry, Music, Archery, Freedom, Good Fortune)]Of all the gods, Tanil is most likely to spend some of her time quietly walking the face of the Scarred Lands. However, this doesn't make her sociable - she prefers back roads and untrod wilderness to highways and villages. The ultimate champion of the underdog, she is the queen of archery and stealth, generally favored by rogues, bards and wayfarers. She appears as a lithe archer wearing flexible bronze armor. Her arrows are silver-tipped, as she dislikes the poor treatment of animals and considers the world's werebeasts an insult. Many elves venerate her; her other servants include dryads and unicorns.
Domains: Animals, Chaos, Luck, Plants, Travel, Trickery Holy Symbol: Three bronze arrows lying parallel[/sblock]

[sblock=Hedrada (heh-DRAH-dah), the Lawgiver, the Judge (LN; Law, Justice, Wealth, Order, Cities, Knowledge)]The Lawgiver is keeper of all the things that civilized beings have learned, and is the patron of society itself. He is the ultimate impartial judge, striving to make certain that each person receives what he or she has earned (for good or ill). He's commonly shown as a stern man in somber robes, crowned with gold and wielding a massive two-handed hammer. He is particularly popular among dwarves, mages, prosperous merchants and regional governments, and is the patron of many cities (foremost of which, of course, is Hedrad).
Domains: Knowledge, Law, Protection Holy Symbol: Two-handed hammer[/sblock]

[sblock=Denev (den-EV), the Earth Mother (N; Earth, Nature, Death - natural, the Seasons)]The only surviving titan, Denev sided with the gods - in particular, her children - against her brothers and sisters who ravaged Scarn. However, the long battle left even more wounds on the world's surface, driving her to retreat to its heart in frustration and fatigue. She still answers prayers from those who venerate her, and is honored by the other gods. She is not a generous or merciful mother, though; she respects nature at its bloodiest as well as at its most beautiful. She is rarely depicted in humanlike form - tales paint her as a mountain range or forest come to life - although she is said to wield a stone sickle when roused to make war. She is venerated by cults of druids who stubbornly refuse to pray to any of the newcomer gods, and by many elementals and other spirits of the land.
Domains: Air, Animals, Earth, Fire, Plants, Water Holy Symbol: Stone sickle with a flowering wooden hilt[/sblock]

[sblock=Enkili (en-KEE-lee), the Trickster, the Shapeshifter, the Unlucky (CN; Storms, Trickery, Chaos, Misfortune)]The real wild card of the gods, Enkili can't really be said to be on anyone's side - not even his own. His tempestuous and stormy personality is mirrored in each freak storm or sudden calm. He commonly shapeshifts from form to form, even changing gender so regularly that no two temples portray the same image of him (or her). As the trickster figure of the pantheon, he also gets into trouble far more often than any divine being should. When he uses a weapon, he commonly wields a thunderbolt-hurling flail that lashes so wildly that others doubt it's under his control.
Domains: Air, Chaos, Luck, Travel, Trickery Holy Symbol: Mask decorated with lightning shooting from the eye slits[/sblock]

[sblock=Chardun (char-DOON), the Slaver, the Overlord, the Great General (LE; War, Domination, Conquest, Avarice, Pain)]Tyrant among gods, Chardun exemplifies the worst traits of the most despotic generals, emperors and masters. His weapon is a golden macelike scepter that's stained deeply with blood. He wears the white regalia of a conquering hero, but his robes and sandaled feet are splattered with blood and dusted with powdered bone. He is particularly venerated by militaristic people with powerful ambitions, but anyone who craves domination is a worthy follower. A general who seeks a throne and a man who covets absolute obedience from his woman are both near to Chardun's black heart.
Domains: Evil, Law, Strength, War Holy Symbol: Blood-soaked golden scepter, crowned with a thorny laurel wreath[/sblock]

[sblock=Belsameth (BEL-sa-meth), the Slayer, the Assassin (NE; Darkness, Death, Nightmares, Deception, Witchcraft, Madness)]The vulture-winged goddess Belsameth is the incarnation of everything people fear about the night. Her basalt throne sits on the dark side of the moon; her power over the moon grants her power over lunacy and makes her the patron goddess of Scarn's werebeasts. Her preferred weapon is a jet-black dagger, and she is favored by evil sorcerers and witches, Scarn's harpies, wily and murderous goblins, and of course by werewolves and their like.
Domains: Death, Evil, Magic, Trickery Holy Symbol: Thin silver circle on a black field (signifying the lunar eclipse)[/sblock]

[sblock=Vangal (VAN-gahl), the Reaver, the Ravager (CE; Destruction, Pestilence, Famine, Bloodshed, Thunder, Disaster)]The volcano-god Vangal is the very embodiment of war. He is commonly depicted as a huge charioteer in filth-covered armor, beard and dreadlocks matted with blood. He wields two massive axes still encrusted with the blood of the titans he overcame. He has few human followers, as it's said that when he gains sufficient power, he'll bring about the destruction of Scarn itself. The few cults dedicated to him, called the Horsemen, are much-dreaded doomsayers and warriors.
Domains: Chaos, Destruction, Evil, Strength, War Holy Symbol: Cloven shield dripping blood[/sblock][/sblock]

That's all for now. I'll try and get some general setting info you'll need up in the next day or so.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
I'm containing my contents within an Sblock to hide any spoilers, but ALSO I'm going so far as to make the statements intentionally unclear to anyone who doesn't own the adventure (or hasn't been through it).

[sblock=spoiler]I've ran the adventure live cover to cover, and I'm also running a RHoD game online on these forums at the moment. I'd like to think that it IS possible, but there are a few spotty bits. Some of the loot isn't exactly E6-like. I'm thinking of one of the items from part 1, though there is even advice in the book on possibly changing it. I'm sure that there are more items later, but that one sticks out the most to me.

Parts 1 and 2 are pretty E6 ready. Part 3 is possible, but I would tone the whole affair a couple notches. Part 3 was very tough on my party. I would tone down one of the female NPCs (that should be enough to tell you who), and the big bad monster (also easily identifiable).

Part 4 is probably the most memorable part of the setting. It's very much the "high point" of the adventure. If you allow sufficient breaks between the fights it should be possible for an E6 party. I would play up the amount of NPC support on some of the encounters, and maybe break up some of the wave-based encounters. That would probably be sufficient to make it doable. What makes Part 4 easier to run than Part 3 is the environment, you have people that can help you and you can space the encounters over a couple days. I would say part 4 is multiple times easier to run in E6 than part 3 or part 5.

Part 5 might be one to avoid. It's somewhat of a let-down after part 4, it's also higher level, and it's particularly dangerous. However, should you get this far (alive) it would be very cool. Going along with the notion that the "Aspect of Orcus = The Real Orcus" in E6, you can't get more epic than that. As such, I would nerf the encounter "before that one" significantly. Classed tieflings instead of erinyes, less "extra" opponents. Possibly tone down the guardian to the dungeon (though he's a good guardian as he stands, he keeps those unprepared away).

Another choice would be to run part 5 as a large expedition into the mountains. That way you would have a nearby safe-area (where the expeditions base is) while the main adventuring group deals with the real threats.[/sblock]

I honestly think it could be incredibly fun. It would make RHoD a bit of a meat grinder possibly, which I think is fun when done right. Anyway, if you do decide to run it I wish you the best of luck. I'd love to play in such a thing, but having effectively been through the module multiple times as a GM it would make it somewhat impossible to play.

Last edited:

Eidalac

Explorer
Yeah, the biggest issue I have to think on ATM is how to scale it at the higher ends - either I cut down the Big-Bads or I add some support/tactical aspect.

I think one of the E6 posts mentioned a ritual to weaken a Titan down to Hill Giant stats with some spell casting. Something along those lines.

The hard part of part 4 will be, I think, making the NPCs more active, which generally means making more stats for them. Possibly working in some stuff from heroes of Battle... or the Black Company (cackles).

Main issue I see in part 3 is going to be the players - as most will tend to do it the hard way.

Though, anyway about it, I'll have to be restating at least most of the main baddies - but on the upside that means I can give them martial adept classes... hehehe.

Creamsteak

Explorer
If you run it play by post, the re-statting and "learning to cope" won't be much of a problem. You'll have weeks between parts, so you'll have plenty of time to evaluate what you can and can't do.

hewligan

First Post
I went and read the E6 stuff yesterday before you posted this, and it got me very interested. I think there are a few tweaks you could do to buff it up a bit (such as allowing two fate points at the start of the game for re-rolls, and gaining one more with each level up, or something similar), but retaining the vital low-level grittiness flavour.

If you do go ahead and run this, I would LOVE to be part of it!!!

Eidalac

Explorer
Creamsteak:
Yeah, thats one of the strengths of PbP games - the trick is to keep them running long enough for that to matter. ;)

hewligan:
I'm probably going to use some form of action points or conviction, both of which give some form of rerolling (or something close enough).

And glad to here you are interested. :)

Eidalac

Explorer
Well, I've got the bulk of the stats converted - luckily most of the guys with class levels come with 6 base and some prc, which makes the switching simple. That and drop a few magic items with too high of a CL and *poof*. ;)

Only real job left would be to convert the static treasures, but that's something I'd rather do on the fly, since I'd be tailoring it to setting/PCs to some degree anyway.

So, I'll try to get some setting and creation stuff up into the first post sometime tomorrow.

dystmesis

First Post
How is this going to be done? Red Hand of Doom already starts you off at level 6, right? So are the going to start out all 'epic' n stuff or the players going to start off at level 1 with a 'max' of level 6? :p

Eidalac

Explorer
Character creation now in 1st post.

We'll start at 4 +4 (the adventure is 5th level). This is pretty close to standard 5th level, and means I don't have to rescale everything.

I'd have loved to run it starting at 1st, but that is *way* to much work to redo all the encounters, to the point where it would have defeated the purpose of using a pre-made adventure.

Bootmobile

First Post
This sounds very interesting. I'd love to play. I'm thinking one of: scout/swashbuckler to create an agile/mobile fighter, a straight duskblade or perhaps something from tome of battle.

What method should we use for stats?

Remove ads