Death in Freeport

G

Guest 11456

Voadam said:
Tailspinner, creature's that normally get common as a bonus secondary language do not do so in this game. You need to spend one of your skill points to have learned common from the wizard. (starting the game not knowing common is not an option).

Done!

Lorthanoth

Explorer
Rikki Bone-sticks
[sblock]Human Gestalt Witch/Rogue 1
HP 7
Height: 6' 1''
Weight: 150lbs

str 8 -1
dex 12 +1
con 8 -1
int 12 +1
wis 14 +2
cha 10

Skills - 36pts

Profession - fortune-telling 4
Sense Motive 4
Bluff 4
Concentration 2
Heal 2
Profession (herbalist) 2
Diplomacy 4
Intimidate 2
Gather Info 2
Knowledge (arcana) 2
Swim 2
Sleight of Hand 2

Saves

Fort +2
Ref +3
Will +4

Feats - Soothsay (Witch's Handbook)
Mind over Matter (WH)

Spells known -

0-level
Daze
Prestidigitation
Mending
Sobriety

1st Level
Cure light wounds
Sleep

Abilities: Sneak Attack 1d6, familiar (raven), trap-sense

Description: Lanky, long-limbed and somewhat gangly, Rikki makes an unlikely thief; his dirty blond hair is generally in some sort of mess, either uncovered or poking out from beneath a weather beaten wide-brimmed hat. His clothes are a bewildering array of styles, but generally all faded noblemen's cast-offs (but with addition of beads, feathers, small animal skulls and such-like.... mostly for effect)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Scaly Folk

A word on Freeport attitudes towards scaly folk.

There is some kind of barbaric bloodthirsty scaly folk believed to live in the jungles outside of the city. Occasionally they rise up and storm into the city rampaging until their bloody but small war parties are all slaughtered, though this hasn't happened in over a generation. Reports are mixed as to what they are exactly, lizardmen, feral kobolds, gatormen, snakemen, yuan-ti, or some type of dragonmen. Journeying into the jungles is considered a risky and dangerous proposition not to be undertaken without serious arms. Being an international port however various types of scaly folk do show up in the city among the crew of various ships, as do many other non-human types of sailors. Few make the city their permanent home however.

doghead

thotd
recruiting - Voadam - Death in Freeport

Hinjo, male human barbarian (lasserator 1)

[sblock]Hit Dice: 1d8+5 (hp 13)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft.
AC 17 (+1 DEX, +1 WIS, +1 feat, +4 armour)
* Touch 13, Flat Footed 14.
Base Attack: +0
* Great-sword +4 melee (1d10+3, 19x2.)
* Dagger +3 melee (1d3+3, 19x2)
* Dagger +1 range (1d3+3, 19x2, 10 ft.)
Special Attacks: Unarmed Strike (1d3+3)
Special Qualities: Favoured Weapon (Great-sword), Weapon Defence.
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +2.
Abilities: STR 16 DEX 12 CON 14 INT 12 WIS 14 CHA 10.
Skills: Jump (STR) +7, Knowledge (arcana, history, geography, religion) (INT) all +3, Climb (STR) +7, Sense Motive (WIS) +6, Intimidate (CHA) +4.
Feats: Dodge, Weapon Focus (great-sword), Toughness.
Languages: Native Tongue, Common.
Equipment: Great-sword, Dagger, Chain shirt, blank book of pages.[/sblock]

Description: Hinjo stands a little over six feet tall. He is well built. He has an honest, open face. But many fail to see past the furs and braided hair that mark him as one born of the barbarian tribes.

Beneath the bear furs, Hinjo wears a chain shirt and carries and the two handed sword of his people. The blade is long and slender and lighter than many other great swords. Worked into the braids in his hair are traditional bone or copper amulets and charms of his tribe.

Background: Generations ago, the Empire marched into the lands of Hinjo's people. Hinjo's people are brave and stubborn. They fought long and hard. They made the Empire pay a high price for every bit of land. But the outcome was always inevitable. Hinjo's people were conquered. Over time, Hinjo's people came to be sought out as bodyguards by many of the great houses of the Empire. Hinjo' people were capable fighters, and they put great weight on person honour and honesty. They were not easily overcome or subverted.

As a young boy, Hinjo loved listening to the stories told by those who had left the hills to serve in the Empire. Hinjo became fascinated by the outside world. He sought out travellers and other visitors, eager to listen to their stories. When Hinjo came of age, he too decided to leave the hills of his people's land. But unlike his father and his older brother, Hinjo chose not to take service in one of the great houses. He wanted to set his own path, to be free to go where he wanted.

His first stop was Freeport - the city where the world comes together. Over the last few months, Hinjo has become something of a regular visitor to the library of Freeport. He has come to make a number of friends among the staff and other regulars, including Brother Egil.

Last edited:

Amazing Triangle

First Post
Are you still taking submissions? I was thinking a sorcerer with a dark past. A rogue with ties to a rich family which he hates. Or a binder who is hiding from the church (or thinks he has to) and is Bent on clearing his name or gaining enough power to keep them away.

Voadam

Legend
Amazing Triangle said:
Are you still taking submissions? I was thinking a sorcerer with a dark past. A rogue with ties to a rich family which he hates. Or a binder who is hiding from the church (or thinks he has to) and is Bent on clearing his name or gaining enough power to keep them away.

Sorry AT, recruitment closed on Halloween. I will change the tag of the thread to recruiting or start a new thread if I need to recruit replacements in the future.

Azgulor

Adventurer
Voadam, since all of my character concepts come from Unorthodox Pirates, are there any mechanical changes I need to account for to be in line with your house rules? (i.e. hit die, skill points, etc.)

Classes under consideration: Ghostly Buccaneer, Freebooter, Swashbuckler

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
They all looked fine to me on my first read through (I only read the 1st level stuff for the freebooter and swashbuckler though at this point but all of the ghostly buccaneer stuff). I'll look it all over again but I don't anticipate any changes and definitely nothing that will affect the first level of the classes.

I wasn't thrilled with the rigging fighting bonuses from one of the classes (it was either swashbuckler or freebooter) as they make you better while fighting in rigging than elsewhere as opposed to better than others at fighting in rigging, but it is minor enough that I don't think I would sweat it if you went with that class.

Azgulor

Adventurer
Aidan Turandal

Human male, Ghostly Buccaneer 1

Str 15 (+2), Dex 14 (+2), Con 14 (+2), Int 12 (+1), Wis 10, Cha 14 (+2)
HP = 12 [10+2]
AC = 15 (13 flat-footed, 12 vs. touch attacks)
Initiative = +2 (+2 Dex)
BAB = +1; Grapple = +3
Melee = +3, Ranged = +3
Fort = +4, Ref = +2, Will = +0

Skills [24 points] – Ranks (Total Bonus)
Balance – 2 (+4), Bluff – 2 (+4), Climb – 3 (+6), Gather Info – 2 (+4), Intimidate – 3 (+5), Jump - 1 (+3), Knowledge (Arcana) – 1 (+2), Knowledge (Local-Freeport) – 3 (+4), Profession (merchant) – 1 (+1), Profession (sailor) – 1 (+1), Swim – 3 (+5), Use Rope – 2 (+4)

Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack
Special Abilities: Fearless

Languages: Common, 1 unselected bonus language

Description: 21-yrs old. Shoulder-length black hair worn tied back. 6’ tall, 180 lbs. Green shirt, grey breeches, black boots. Studded leather armor.

Equipment:
Scimitar
2 Daggers
Throwing Axe
Studded Leather armor
Traveler’s Outfit (+1 spare)
2 Belt Pouches (1 contains Thunderstone)
Backpack

Backpack contents:
Flint & Steel
50’ Rope
Grappling Hook
spare Traveler’s outfit
Whetstone
2 Sacks (empty)

Background:
The son of one of Freeport’s mercantile families, Aidan Turandal was to learn the family shipping business the old fashioned way: by serving on one of the ships under his father’s tutelage. Unfortunately for his father, Aidan was drawn to the rowdier side of a pirate's life more than to the life of a respected merchant. Aidan was always one to look for a fight or a woman, and if he could have a fight and then woo a woman, so much the better. Determined to teach his son manners, his father forced him to remain in town until his 21st birthday. On his maiden voyage, Aidan shipped out as his father’s apprentice, eager to learn, delighted to finally be at sea, and ready for adventure.

What Aidan didn’t know (because he was too busy fighting and wenching to really focus on his duties) was that the family business was in trouble…serious trouble. Several ships had been raided, cargo was stolen from warehouses, and business partners were severing ties. His father hid the majority of the details from his family and had gambled the future of the business on this run.

Whatever forces were working against the family, however, had planned well. While only a few days at sea, during the chaos of a storm, the crew mutinied. Aidan’s father was slain and the captain as well. Aidan thought he would die with the other officers but the ship capsized in the storm.

Aidan was pulled out of the water by a ship heading to Freeport a week later. The bright-eyed young man who had embarked on the voyage of his life returned home a dark shadow of his former self. He learned that his mother and sister had been murdered two days after his departure.

Aidan has since sold what few belongings he found hidden away that the debt-collectors hadn’t found. Most were curios and tomes his father gathered on his journeys. Aidan sold them to the Athenaeum, but in addition to selling the items, he began inquiring about strange lore, specifically regarding tales or legends of people who succeed in breaking pacts involving the selling of one's soul…

...and at night, when a wench shares his bed, they can hear him murmuring in dream-haunted sleep, "Umberlee".

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases