Death in Freeport

Voadam

Legend
DEFCON 1 said:
Well I'm tempted to submit something... but I find it highly ironic that you have over a hundred d20 books but the ones you don't and are not allowing anything from are the ones that probably 90% of the rest of us have... which is the WotC Complete and Races of books.
It is. :) $1-$5 pdfs versus $30 for a lot of d20 material compared to WotC.

But be that as it may... I'll see if a character concept comes to mind that I might be interested in... and then I'll determine if it can be built using core PH rules. Thanx Voadam!

Also check out what is available from the crystalkeep pdfs at crystalkeep.com. They have a lot of the mechanics of many WotC stuff without the flavor stuff. For instance Shayuri is playing a Warlock in my Wildwood game based off the crystalkeep info even though I don't own Complete Arcane.

Similarly another PC is playing an elan based off the srd entries even though I don't have the XPH flavor entries. I was surprised to learn they are humans who went through a ritual and not Cthulhoid monstrosities after having first discovered them through looking over the srd mechanics of the psionic aberrations after the 3.5 book came out. :)

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Blind Azathoth said:
Hm... the options for character creation intrigue me. The 24 point buy gestalt with an NPC class, especially. It also gave me an idea for a character: a fairly ordinary man, a fisherman or blacksmith or something along those lines (in other words an Expert), who is beginning to develop abilities that he does not have full control over or knowledge of--a magical or psionic class, although I'm not sure just what yet. Sorcerer or Psion seem to be the most fitting, though.

If you want hd and reflex saves over skill points I also allow humanoid type HD as an NPC class option. A 2 skill point per level humanoid makes a fine base for a fisherman IMO.

Based on that flavor the psionic class wilder might be more in tune with it but psion can work fine.

farmboymdp

First Post
Voadam, thanks for looking it over, I've been doing the same and thinking that it might be a good idea for me to have another idea ready in case there is a lot of spellcasting interest. The more I read about WoT channeling the more I think it would be best suited to a low-magic party. So I'm going to put that concept on the backburner right now, and in either case I'll probably scrap Viewing anyways just to keep things simple.

I have another question, though. You say you are allowing Arcana Unearthed by Malhavoc Press; would this include Arcana Evolved, or just the original?

EDIT: Just one more: how do you feel about an aberrant d20 character?

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
Alrighty I've been looking through my options and had originally planned a spellcaster too. So after scrapping that, here's what I've got ~ Dogrynn the Reaver, a wannabe pirate Sibeccai Weapon Master Anima. He's a rough and tumble, dirty fighting, trash talking curr. I'd need to know more about Brother Egil, but I'm thinking that Dogrynn (known as Dog ~ though he hates that name) is an orphan whom Brother Egil had helped out a few times and would potentially seek out when in need of help.

Sources:
Sibeccai - Arcana Unearthed
Weapon Master - Iron Heroes
Anima - Elements of Magic Lyceian Arcana (and Elements of Magic for his powers)

I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to play a gestalt character even at a huge disadvantage stats wise.

Voadam

Legend
farmboymdp said:
Voadam, thanks for looking it over, I've been doing the same and thinking that it might be a good idea for me to have another idea ready in case there is a lot of spellcasting interest. The more I read about WoT channeling the more I think it would be best suited to a low-magic party. So I'm going to put that concept on the backburner right now, and in either case I'll probably scrap Viewing anyways just to keep things simple.

I have another question, though. You say you are allowing Arcana Unearthed by Malhavoc Press; would this include Arcana Evolved, or just the original?

I don't have Evolved so I only have racial levels out to 3 and I don't have the ritual warrior. I do have the Diamond Throne supplement so that plus AU covers most of AE minus the prettier pictures and layout. If you only have Evolved most of it is the same and should be useable.

Note that I am using the D&D skill set though (no combined sneak skill, etc.) and my houseruled feat progression.

Voadam

Legend
Erekose13 said:
Alrighty I've been looking through my options and had originally planned a spellcaster too. So after scrapping that, here's what I've got ~ Dogrynn the Reaver, a wannabe pirate Sibeccai Weapon Master Anima. He's a rough and tumble, dirty fighting, trash talking curr. I'd need to know more about Brother Egil, but I'm thinking that Dogrynn (known as Dog ~ though he hates that name) is an orphan whom Brother Egil had helped out a few times and would potentially seek out when in need of help.

Sources:
Sibeccai - Arcana Unearthed
Weapon Master - Iron Heroes
Anima - Elements of Magic Lyceian Arcana (and Elements of Magic for his powers)

I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to play a gestalt character even at a huge disadvantage stats wise.

Sibeccai, no problems, I like the giant-uplifted jackal men.

Weapon Master. Iron Heroes is designed to have PCs with no special gear balanced with normal D&D EL challenges so they are more powerful at each level. I need to look it over carefully to bring it back down to balance with a standard D&D power level. First thing is converting the HD and saves, then I'll start looking over the specific class powers. Other options would be for me to bump up the point buy cost for the IH class, or work out some sort of vow of poverty style restriction.

Anima - I'll start looking it over.

Voadam

Legend
farmboymdp said:
Sorry, I think I took too long to edit my last post: how do you feel about an Aberrant d20 character?

Would depend on the concept and type of character. Aberrant mechanics with flavor changed to fit in a D&D city setting are possible.

Erekose13

Explorer
My suggestions would be:
reduce HD to 1d10 (vs. 4+1d6)
saves: Fort good, refl/will bad
Bab: switch Bab bonus at every four levels to a + to hit (Bab=more attacks per round sooner)
Weapon Styles/Expertise/Mastery: cost 2* weapon pool points per use.
Class defense bonus: drop it.

Dire Lemming

First Post
Wow, this sounds really interesting. I don't own most of those books though, just the 3.5 SRD, Forgotten Realms, and I've seen the planescape stuff. I'd be interested in playing a vigilante flashy finesse fighter with a bit of magic and social skills. Is there any class you can suggest for that besides bard?

Remove ads