Death in Freeport

Dire Lemming

First Post
If we're starting at first level then story wise he could still be developing as well. In that case it could work out to have my character start as a fighter then multiclass with expert. Taking that kind of point buy penalty is kind of like trading an the engine for the rest of the car

Shayuri

First Post
I may be wrong, but the 40 point buy requires not just one level in an NPC class, but a limit of the -character potential- to NPC classes.

So if you want 40 point buy, you can never take a PC class.

That how it works Voadam?

doghead

thotd
I'm interested in playing a quiet barbarian. I'm not sure which class I'll use. Maybe barbarian, but I was also thinking of using the Lasserator from Unorthodox Monks by The Le games as the mechanical framework.

Still working through ideas, but here is a early draft.

Hinjo's tribe was always too small and too poor to ever have a hope of holding off their powerful neighbours for long. But the tribe made their neighbour pay so high a price for every foot of ground, eventually they settled for a peace agreement. Hinjo's tribe became a tributary of their neighbours, but they kept their freedom. In the ensuing years, many of the tribe were recruited as house guards by the nobility. For Injo's tribe had proved themselves to be, not only capable warriors, but also deeply interested in learning and knowledge. They were, despite their furs and braided locks, rather civilised.

So Injo, like his father before him, left home to serve in the house of one of the nobility of XXX. After five years, Injo decided to move on and see something of the world he had read so much about. HIs first stop was Freeport - the city where the world meets.

Over the last few months, Injo has become something of a regular visitor to the library of Freeport. He has come to make a number of friends among the staff and other regulars, including Brother Egil.

doghead
aka thotd

Voadam

Legend
Shayuri said:
I may be wrong, but the 40 point buy requires not just one level in an NPC class, but a limit of the -character potential- to NPC classes.

So if you want 40 point buy, you can never take a PC class.

That how it works Voadam?

Correct, a permanent restriction not just a one level restriction.

Voadam

Legend
Dire Lemming said:
Hm, now that I think about it some more, fighters get way to few skill points...

Erg... Is there a class with a reasonable number of skill points and a reasonable ability to fight but without magic? I'd go for a rogue but I don't need any of that stealth stuff, and I need more weapon skills. :\

Two options from Unearthed Arcana that you can look up yourself. Thug fighter variant which gives a fighter 4 skill points a level and adds urban tracking to his bonus feat list but loses first level bonus feat, medium and heavy armor, and shield proficiencies.

Remember under the house rules rogues are not limited to the rogue skill list, so their 8 points are the best multiskill class option in the game and they get d8 instead of d6 HD. There is also a rogue variant I allow from UA that swaps sneak attack for fighter bonus feats.

Another one is the urban ranger variant .

Voadam

Legend
Here is a description of gestalt . The basics are that you take two classes each level, but their benefits overlap and do not stack, so if you have a 1st level barbarian/fighter gestalt, their good fortitude saves overlap so no improvement but the character would get the 4 skill points of the barbarian, the fighter bonus feat, the fighter heavy armor and tower shield proficiencies, the fighter's literacy, and the barbarian's improved movement and rage.

Characters become a little stronger or can do more things by themselves, but in combat the number of actions per character limits the impact somewhat and I balance it with point buy costs.

Voadam

Legend
doghead said:
I'm interested in playing a quiet barbarian. I'm not sure which class I'll use. Maybe barbarian, but I was also thinking of using the Lasserator from Unorthodox Monks by The Le games as the mechanical framework.

Still working through ideas, but here is a early draft.

doghead
aka thotd

I'm very flexible with class flavor text so a barbaric culture lasserator works fine for me.

Voadam

Legend
Erekose, I'm a little worried the weapon master will not get to use his weapon master powers at all (or fairly rarely) with a double token cost. From my reading of the class and what I've heard from others the WM tokens come pretty slowly as is and they have a hard time keeping up with other IH classes. I'm thinking of having a feat available for WMs to get the normal 1 token per hit.

Remove ads