New core races or canon half races?

Would you rather see 4E add new core races or keep canon "half" races?

Two new races. They could probably make a lot of people happy at this point by removing half-elves and putting gnomes back in.

Edit: did you actually intend to have a poll as well?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Keep half-elves and half-orcs (but please make them "part" rather than half, to allow for quarters and eighths, etc.) and instead drop tiefling.

All the other half-xxx races seem to me to be thinly-disguised ways for people to have more powerful characters, level adjustment notwithstanding. Sink 'em all.

Lanefan

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I'd be fine if half-X races disappeared. Honestly, I'm pretty ambivalent about whatever's in the PHB - I'm sure it'll be fun to play one way or the other.

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
The reason I don't like Half-Elves and Half-Orcs in a Core PHB is that they are too setting specific (Middle-Earth). Just like I don't want warforged.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I'd rather have two other races.

Ideally, I'd like to see two of the following:

Draconians (baaz, probably), catfolk, drow, intelligent undead (Magic the Gathering zombie style, perhaps), lizardfolk, minotaurs, full-blooded orcs, ratfolk (nezumi or otherwise; Burmecia ftw!), warforged, or a generic 'mascot' race - but that last would probably be too complex.

Or giff. Giff make everything better. If it weren't necessary to retain other races to contrast with their essentially giff-ness, I'd say they were the ONLY race needed in the PHB.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Presenting the half-elf and half-orc as templates makes perfect sense. That could take humanity out of the picture and leave the option for some interesting half-breeds indeed.

Most campaign worlds have oceans. Why not add the aventi or a similar amphibious race into the core selections?

Gloombunny

First Post
Boo on half-races. Give us playable real orcs, not some half-arsed version that only exists to justify an orc character being one of the good guys.

If half-races are to exist at all they should be more interesting than watered-down versions of elves or orcs. Something more like the muls from Dark Sun.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases