Might & Magic Series: How Good and Where to Begin?

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
So last night I am over at our local mall and I stop in at the GameStop store. They have a demo playing Might & Magic V. I really know nothing about this series and I am not a fan of turned based games.

However, I had a blast! What can you tell me about this series and where do I want to begin? I remember my many hours of perusing online gaming sites over the last few years and reading that there were some great additions and some not so great, but such is the extent of my knowledge.

I look forward to you enlightening me. :cool:

Mad Mac

First Post
Might and Magic 5 has a mixed rep with hardcore fans, but I like it. There's two expansions so far. Hammers of Fate adds a Dwarf race, a new campaign, and some new features.

However, the just released expansion pack Tribes of Fate adds another new race, (Orcs) more features, and a new campaign. It's also a standalone, so it's not a bad way to go if you're new to the series. The only thing you'll be missing out on is the campaigns. Granted, buying the previous games for the campaigns, isn't a terrible idea, since it gives you more maps and scenarios to play through, which is the biggest draw in the game, at least for me. Some people play multiplayer, but I haven't tried it.

Terraism

Explorer
It is worth tossing out that, if you're talking about Heroes of Might and Magic, that first world is very meaningful. The Heroes series is classic turn-based strategy, whereas just Might and Magic is the RPG series by the same company. Of the two, I've always preferred Heroes, and if you're looking to get into the series, you're best off picking up Heroes III. Good luck!

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Yeah, Heroes 3 is probably the best of the lot. It's recognizably the same game as the previous two incarnations with more options and better graphics.

I got the original HoMM back in college, and it was a blast. Strangely, my copy didn't work until I played and finished the King's Bounty game that came with it, but everyone in my room enjoyed playing it, even my roommate's girlfriend.

My understanding is that Heroes 4 was a flop ("my hero can be killed by orcs?"), and I haven't tried 5 yet, b/c I've been busy with WoW and Civ4. But I've heard decent things about it.

Interestingly, one of the things the HoMM games demonstrate is just how important movement is. I'd spend multiple turns trying to run down one enemy army w/o uncovering a town from another, and the movement items were incredibly useful ("I can fly over mountains? Score!").

Brad

Ranger REG

Explorer
Terraism said:
It is worth tossing out that, if you're talking about Heroes of Might and Magic, that first world is very meaningful. The Heroes series is classic turn-based strategy, whereas just Might and Magic is the RPG series by the same company. Of the two, I've always preferred Heroes, and if you're looking to get into the series, you're best off picking up Heroes III. Good luck!
I prefer the M&M RPG series. My favorite is M&M VI: The Mandate of Heaven.

Terraism

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
I prefer the M&M RPG series. My favorite is M&M VI: The Mandate of Heaven.
Gotta admit, that one was one of the better M&Ms. I just don't get the urge to play them through once I've done it, whereas Heroes? I can go just shy of forever, I suspect.

silvermane

Explorer
I've been playing the M&M series (and Heroes) for years, with the exception of M&M VIII & IX (can't find the time) and HoMM V (doesn't suit my taste).

As was said above, MM6 is a classic, though I also enjoyed 4+5 combined into World of Xeen. Earlier versions are rather ugly and the first is nearly unplayable (unless you find the ROM for Super Nintendo, but it is in Japanese).

HoMM 3 (with WOG) is best, followed by 4 and 2.

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
From what I have been reading here and some other places it appears that the Heroes installments are have a replayability factor whereas the other incarnation doesn't.

Correct? And if so what does Heroes offer that makes it replayable? Thanks.

silvermane

Explorer
Of course M&M is replayable - but you have to be a real M&M freak to do the same quests and dungeons over and over again with just different classes, strategies, and equipment (some of which is random).

Heroes has tons of scenarios and campaigns (except for 1 & 2 which don't have user-made campaigns), and you can always create your own. And there is, of course, hotseat and multiplayer mode.

Both series are very unlike each other in terms of gamers to whom they appeal, so some people may like either, but not both.

Remove ads