Encounter level of a room of CR 1 traps

Allegro

First Post
Hello I’m trying to figure out the encounter level of a 20x15 foot room full of CR 1 traps. Every square (5x5) is a CR 1 trap. The room can be by-passed and doesn’t need to be overcome. It also would be silly to walk on every square. So my quick calculation is this room has 12 CR 1 traps is an encounter level 8. But realistically why would you spring every trap instead of just walking in a straight line over 4 squares for an effective encounter level of 4. I’d appreciate any thoughts, opinions, or guidance on this.

Patlin

Explorer
As an eyeball estimate, it would seem silly to encounter more than four traps... the nature of the room should be apparent by then. If there is no need other than general exploration to go into the room, there's no reason to encounter all of the traps. On top of that, the fact that the traps cannot bring the party to battle means the risk is minimal compared to a similar room with CR 1 monsters. A wounded party can back out. Now if the traps tended t cascade... that would be more interesting. For example, trap one might knock anyone caught into it in a random direction, setting off more traps!

Without the cascade, I'd probably consider the encounter as a single CR 4. Probably more like a CR 6 with the cascade effect.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I think you really need to explain what you mean by a trap in each square. It sounds more to me like the whole room is just one trap. Are all the "traps" identical?

Allegro

First Post
The room is a big red herring created by some clever bastard monsters. The other side has an attractive looking empty chest. This room was created by the intelligent monsters to distract divert any potential heros. The traps do not cascade. Each square has a different CR1 type of trap in it.

Last edited:

werk

First Post
There was an old Dungeon adventure that was similar to this. It was a big square room with lines drawn on the floor in a 'checker-board pattern'. Each square was trapped, I believe, by rocks hanging concealed in darkness overhead, and goblin chiefs would gamble on which squares the PCs would get squished in while dropping rocks

I ran it once, but my party didn't like being stuck in a giant pinball machine.

Kinda the same thing you were doing, but interesting.

Lackhand

First Post
I agree, consider the whole room as a single trap, even if each square does something else dastardly.

It's strictly weaker (on offense) than a monster with a few +5 attacks dealing (say) 2d6 points of damage per round -- which should cap it at CR 4? (I'm completely eyeballing the numbers here).

It's made out of CR 1 traps, so any poison it has is going to be ignorable, solidifying that CR 4 but certainly not pushing it above that.

Since it doesn't cascade, chase the players, defend itself intelligently, or (probably?) harm anyone in a square that has already triggered, I'd not put it far above CR 3, myself, but that's just me.

So I vote CR 3 or 4, leaning towards 4.

Goolpsy

First Post
First of all: 4x CR 1 is not equal to CR 4...

I would probably generallise the room as a CR 3 trap/Encounter in itself...
A level 4 party would probably be able to walk unhindered through the room without obtaining any severe damage...

Patlin

Explorer
Goolpsy said:
First of all: 4x CR 1 is not equal to CR 4...

I would probably generallise the room as a CR 3 trap/Encounter in itself...
A level 4 party would probably be able to walk unhindered through the room without obtaining any severe damage...

4x CR 1 = EL 5... I reduced it to 4 because 5 seemed too high. I agree with Lackhand, CR 3 or CR 4, but leaning towards 4.

Jhaelen

First Post
Allegro said:
The room is a big red herring created by some clever bastard monsters. The other side has an attractive looking empty chest. This room was created by the intelligent monsters to distract divert any potential heros. The traps do not cascade. Each square has a different CR1 type of trap in it.
I assume the 'clever bastard monsters' have a good alignment? Otherwise there'd be no reason I can currently think of why they'd use so many weak traps rather than a single deadly one.

I'd assign an EL of 1 - no more. Unless there is a chance of cascading effects, this scenario isn't more difficult/dangerous than a single CR1 trap.
After finding/triggering the first trap the chance of the characters triggering a second one is pretty much nil unless they have no way of finding/disarming traps. Basically you've created an xp machine:
If there's no time pressure or actual need to explore/traverse this room, they can simply return to this room after clearing the rest of the dungeon to trigger a few for fun and extra xp.

Elethiomel

First Post
Jhaelen said:
I assume the 'clever bastard monsters' have a good alignment? Otherwise there'd be no reason I can currently think of why they'd use so many weak traps rather than a single deadly one.
Because they aren't skilled enough to set up a deadly trap, so instead they do what they can?

Remove ads