Planescape 3.5e - Cold Black Mask

Blind Azathoth

Explorer
And, about five minutes back in time, because Blind Azathoth clearly goes to sleep too early and awakens too late to put his posts where they ought to go...

Cang nods at the invitation, and follows after the swifter gnome as best he can. "I would be most interested in seeing the results of your studies. Perhaps I could, in turn, show you what my masters taught me. It too is a practice that is both physical and spiritual... and some might call it a sort of dance."

When Istvan introduces himself, Cang gives one of his frequent smiles and bows in return. "My name is Cang Lao. Up until only a few days ago, I dwelt within the walls of a githzerai monastery called Aht'rra'zao, on the plane called Limbo, since my arrival there the day my family..." The man's smile fades a bit. "...was stranded on the plane. We were beset by fire and earth and by the crueler inhabitants of the plane that day, but I was rescued from certain death by the githzerai, the monks and ascetics of Limbo--I am uncertain if they are known in Faerûn. Or, for that matter, in Shou Lung... But my story wanders. The githzerai took me in, raised me. Not quite as one of their own, but to be raised as a githzerai is to endure great hardship. I am glad I was spared that."

This all said, he smiles again. "And perhaps to you twelve years is not so very long, but I am only a human, and so young; twelve years is two-thirds my life so far. And I now have a question for you, Istvan-fuzai, if you do not mind its asking: what brings you to this place? Who is this Hagen you and your companions seek?"

Aside from conversing with Istvan, Cang also pays especially close attention to Anthony's monologue. Thus far, it was primarily information he had already vaguely learned, but he had also learned that, in Sigil, it was best not to trust just a single source for information...

Ambrus

Explorer
Istvan listens to Cang, nodding occasionally as he peers around the pair looking for signs of Hagen. "I've never heard of githzerai or Limbo..." As the rest of the group begins catching up with the pair, the gnome overhears the beginning of Anthony's dialogue and whispers to Cang: "...or of the Outlands. Both of you said 'plain'. What do you mean by that?" Once the group is back together, Istvan falls back into step beside Cang. "Hagen is a friend of ours; a wise human scholar who disappeared from his house a short while ago. He..." The wayfarer falls silent and pauses in mid step when he catches sight of the tall floating form of the Dabus approaching the group along the bustling street. For a second time, the gnome reaches up to pull his goggles up onto his forehead to get a better look of the androgynous horned figure. Istvan stares, dumbfounded as he did upon first seeing the curving sweep of the city. "It... It's just as I imagined it. But he... it seems so effortless. I knew it must be possible..." The gnome seems transfixed by the gap between the paving stones and the hovering hem of the dabus' robes. With a tone of awe in his voice, Istvan whispers to his new companion. "There Cang; that is like the sema I spoke of, except it is fully realised, and without the need to sing or twirl it seems. Better than any simple Dervish could ever hope to perform. I– I must learn how he does it..."

Cage-Rattler

First Post
" 'Scuse me, Dabus, I'm sorry if I'm interruptin' something but if yer not too busy could you spare the time to show these primes somethin o' the Lady?"
Dabusph.jpg

The creature Anthony called "dabus" turned, bobbing slightly as it hovered a few inches above the cobbled streets. A quiet serenity was reflected in its eyes as it regarded to group; then, slowly, an image began to materialize and coalesce above the creature's head. Fully formed, the image was that of an expressionless female face, ringed with a headress -- or halo -- of cold-looking blades. Upon seeing the icon, the prime travellers felt an unexplained frission of fear momentarily run down their spines.

LadyofPainRebus.jpg

The image lingered above the dabus' head for a moment, then slowly faded and disappeared. The dabus itself continued to float silently before the group, hands folded deep within its robes.

Dire Lemming

First Post
"Thank ye." Anthony calls, as the Dabus drifts away, headed to only it and the lady knows where. "Well there you are, still gives me a shiver when they do that, to tell you the truth. So there anythin you need ta ask or shall we continue to ride?"

Blind Azathoth

Explorer
"The planes? Ah, how to explain..." Cang pauses for a few moments to collect his thoughts, then begins, "The planes are different worlds--no, more than just worlds. They are immensely large places, infinitely large, each somehow occupying its own infinitely large space. They are manifestations, embodiments, of certain ideas or beliefs--in the case of Limbo, pure chaos... but, ah, I fear I might not be able to explain this as well or as accurately as he could." Cang gestures to Anthony. "My education of the planes beyond Limbo was... limited."

When Istvan mentions learning the way of the dabus, Cang suggests, "Not all in Sigil are friendly, but if these creatures are servants of the city's ruler, I am certain they would be helpful. We could simply ask it how..." He trails off when he sees the dabus' unusual response, however. Eventually, he says, "How odd." He turns to Anthony, and asks, "Can they speak, or is that their only method of communication?"

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Heinrich shoots a glance to Sindr and leans close to whisper to him.

[sblock=Sindr]
"You seem to know what passes here best of all of us, I will follow your lead if you believe you can chart us a true course.
[/sblock]

Dire Lemming

First Post
"Dabus'? Never heard one speak, but they got a language same as anyone else... well mostly. They speak in Rebus, those pictures floatin' o'er their brain-boxes. Most don't even bother with it, but it's actually not that hard once you learn the dark o' it. Since their the only ones the Lady seems to talk to, knowin' what they're sayin' can be handy."

"They all float too," Anthony continues, looking at the short one. "well... er... 'cept..." He pauses, looking slightly uncomfortable, but quickly continues on again, changing the subject. "Right, well I'd say your description o' the planes works just about as well as any. They're not somethin' you can explain really, you need ta experience 'em firsthand."

Ambrus

Explorer
Istvan continues to listen to Cang and Anthony's exchange, but turns in place to watch the Dabus silently float away down the street. The wayfarer takes a few slow tentative steps in the wake of the odd being, as if somehow imagining himself lifting up off the ground. Coming to a stop a few steps away, Istvan reaches up and pulls his goggles back down over his eyes before turning his attention back in the direction the group had been traveling, and heading off once more.

Zurai

First Post
Sindr stares in awe at the Dabus, hesitantly reaching out towards the floating rebus then jerking his hand back as he remembers Tony's caution about the Lady's shadow being lethal. He watches briefly as the Dabus floats away, then turns as Heinrich whispers to him. He leans in to hear the cleric over the still-loud city sounds, then staggers and catches himself as he shoots an incredulous look Heinrich's way.

[sblock=Heinrich]"Y' wan' me t' lead th' way 'ere? I mean, I know of Sigil, but I never been 'ere b'fore, y'know? Thanks fer th' vote o' confidence, though. I think it's best if we jus' follow this 'ere tout-fellow fer now.[/sblock]

Finished with the short whispered conversation, Sindr turns back to Tony and Pierce. "Thank'ee fer showin' us that - fascinatin' fellow. An' I'll be cautious o' this Lady o' yers. I think we need t' press on wit' th' tour an' wit' rescuin' Hagen, though." He stops for a moment, then blurts out, "An' what's a 'barbazu' anyhow?"

Dire Lemming

First Post
"Right." Anthony start leading the group towards the Lady's ward once again. "Barbazus are Baatezu, not really the top shelf of the lot, though don' go tellin one that. Er, Baatezu, right, you primes call em Devils. Well, they're rather mean bashers, they all seem to have beards, and carry these soddin' nasty sawtoothed polearms. They don' smell too nice neither. If yer plannin on fightin this one, I'd say yer barmy."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases