S@squ@tch's Against the Giants - Team Gold OOC - Recruiting

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
some games I have seen this tactic:

post your action and let the dm write one action reconciliation. if no post within x days then missed turn. For this game with its wide variance of player location, it may have to have a 4 day cycle or something.

Vertexx69

First Post
Everyone has (or should have) their Initiative modifier on their sheet, so at the beginning of combat the DM rolls each of the player's intiatives and once for the monsters, (if any players beat the monster's score) then it goes like this:

(Player X)
(Player Y)
All Monsters
All players
All monsters
repeat until one side is dead

after the speedsters have had their fast first actions, then it drops to post order, (basically first come, first served for player posting order). Usually until all have posted, or within a set time limit (like "you have 1-5 days to post") with those missing the window being NPC'd or delaying for the round. Using this means setting up an NPC action for each character in case they miss the window, ie: King Grommet takes a 5ft step toward flanking position and makes a full attack unless otherwise posted.

It can really speed things along IMO, and eliminates the need for any kind of retcons. :cool:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Waiting for everyone to post up an INIT also slows things down here and there.

What about one roll for the group and each player adds in their modifiers.

So in this case the roll would have been 9 and then everyone goes on their count. (SZV's character would have had a 20 and gone before the giants). So it would work for those who are quick.

Combat would be sorted out if the DM rolled a d20 and knowing when everyone went. After that it should only be three groups of INIT -

a) Players that go before monsters (if needed)
b) Monsters
c) Players who go after monsters

And everyone should be able to post once a week during combat.

HM

s@squ@tch

First Post
I'm liking the one init roll, then pc's add mod.

So that would reduce it at least down to three groups....

It would also be helpful to be more familiar with the pc's to be able to npc them somewhat intelligently -- there are a bunch of new ones that I'm not exactly too familiar with yet, like Char, King Grommett, Dregon to act for. Void is the only original PC, Dori is the 2nd oldest, and I feel comfortable acting for those two, then Deric is easy, as he is DM run at this time.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Then perhaps an [sblock=stat block] time to have some basic stats going like initiative[/sblock]

[sblock= mini stats]
Code:
BAB: +6     Grapple: +9
HP: 84/84 (1d10+4,7d8+28) 
Speed: 20'	
Init: +1     
ACP: -7     Spell Fail: 0%
Languages: Common, Dwarven

ac:
Armor:  24
Touch:  11  
Flatfooted: 19

saves:
Fort:	+10	
Ref:	+3	
Will:	+9     Spell Save: +3

weapon usually in hand:
Weapon  Attack  Damage  Critical Range
Long sword +11/+6 1d8+4 19-20/x2     Sword of Virtue Beyond Reproach (MIC61)

Spells:

Spells prepared (Save DC 13 + spell level): 
0 - 6 - 
Create Water (2), Detect Magic, Mending, Purify Food & Drink, Prestidigitation ; 

1st - (4+1) - 
Divine Favour, Vigor, Lesser (CA) Resurgence, , Protection from Evil* (D) 1;

2nd - (3+1) - 
Bull's Strength, Restoration, Lesser, Deific Vengeance (CD 161), Spiritual Weapon (D); 

3rd - (3+1) - 
Briar Web (CD 156), Vigor, Mass Lesser** (CD), Ring of Blades (CA 121) 
Magic Circle Against Evil* (D); 

4th - (2+1) - 
Divine Power, Recitation (CD 176) Holy Smite* (D)

Domains: War, Good 
* = Good
** = Conj (Heal) (Cast at +1 level & +2 points/spell level of healing)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

First Post
I'm liking the one init roll, then pc's add mod.

This solution sounds just fine to me. Or have you roll Init for each of us and one for the monsters - let the fast people go, then monsters, then everyone of us, then monsters, rinse, repeat, etc. Which I think is what everyone is getting at anyway. :)

It would also be helpful to be more familiar with the pc's to be able to npc them somewhat intelligently -- there are a bunch of new ones that I'm not exactly too familiar with yet, like Char, King Grommett, Dregon to act for. Void is the only original PC, Dori is the 2nd oldest, and I feel comfortable acting for those two, then Deric is easy, as he is DM run at this time.

Char, I'll admit, would be tricky to NPC. Heck, even I don't know how to play him too much. :p He's definitely the type to assist others (Haste), then focus-fire on the most-injured foe (with Scorching Ray or Magic Missile). But when he's low on spells like he is right now, he may have to step back and just shout encouragement or the like. :p

What about one roll for the group and each player adds in their modifiers.

So in this case the roll would have been 9 and then everyone goes on their count. (SZV's character would have had a 20 and gone before the giants). So it would work for those who are quick.

Combat would be sorted out if the DM rolled a d20 and knowing when everyone went. After that it should only be three groups of INIT -

a) Players that go before monsters (if needed)
b) Monsters
c) Players who go after monsters

And everyone should be able to post once a week during combat.

HM

This one sounds good.

Remove ads