Halfling Hoopak

Wik

First Post
Well, as for flavour, it's really just a staff-sling, as found in earlier editions of D&D. Really, it's just something the halflings (notorious travelers) use in their wanderings.

It is a weapon, sure, but it also serves as an identifier - each halfling decorating their stick in a highly personalized way. I'm also thinking it could serve as the Divine Focus for priests of Uncle Spider (Mongrel).

EDIT: Would it be a difficulty to change my alertness feat to (martial weapon proficiency - Halfling Walking Stick?)

orsal

LEW Judge
Wik said:
EDIT: Would it be a difficulty to change my alertness feat to (martial weapon proficiency - Halfling Walking Stick?)

Am I correct that the character in question hasn't yet been in an adventure? In particular, hasn't actually used the Alertness feat in-game? If so, then no problem, assuming we approve the weapon.

Trouvere

Explorer
Can a staff-sling user freely switch between melee and ranged attacks during a full attack sequence? That's no more than someone with a dagger can do, of course, though the staff-sling is better than a dagger in melee damage and in range increment, and it seems a little bit more awkward to manage practically.

Wik

First Post
But the staff sling is a martial weapon, I suppose. And it has a lamer crit range. But can you make a ranged attack when you're in melee combat anyways?

Trouvere

Explorer
You can, but it provokes an AoO. With a 5' step somewhere, you could avoid that.

Speaking of AoO - if you're armed with a melee weapon, you threaten adjacent squares, but if you're armed with a ranged weapon, you don't (barring obscure non-core things that I can't remember). How will that work with a staff-sling? If you've used only ranged attacks or if you end your turn with one, do you still threaten? It comes down to whether switching ends is a free action or a swift action or something else.

Switching from threatening 10' to 5' or vice versa with a reach weapon requires the feat Short Haft and a swift action, but this ability is obviously more powerful. On the other hand, it's a free action to switch the applied end of a double weapon when it matters, as with a hooked hammer or urgrosh.* But if you do use both ends of a double weapon within an attack sequence, you take TWF penalties as though using a one-handed and a light weapon. Is that the same with a staff-sling if you switch?

*clarification - if using it two-handed. If one-handed, then you can't switch during a round at all. But the staff-sling is two-handed at the bashing end, and needs two hands for stone loading at the other. Actually, that makes it even more confusing. Can you switch back after using it as a sling, when, technically, it is held in only one hand? I'd suppose not. I think you can make as many melee attacks as you like, but the first time you make a ranged attack, subsequent attacks in a round must also be ranged, and you cease to threaten adjacent squares until... until your initiative count on the next round?

Or since you say "the staff portion cannot be used as a double weapon", is it your intention that a staff-sling fighter cannot switch ends within a round at all?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases